PDA

View Full Version : The Chief

joanied
11-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I lost the story, but Allen Jerkins is heading home :ThmbUp: from the hospital... great news:jump:

Here's to a speedy recovery, Mr. Jerkins!!

lamboguy
11-09-2008, 02:01 PM
a real class guy too!

i wish he ate a little better, he's never met a doughnut he didn't love!

PaceAdvantage
11-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Jerkens.

boomman
11-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Although I've never met Allen, I had the pleasure of getting to know his son Al (who is a sports director at a local TV station in Tulsa, OK, and believe it or not is allergic to hay, and that's why he's not in the horse business: TRUE STORY) over my many years as the announcer at Fair Meadows in Tulsa. Al is definitely a class act, and I wish his father a very speedy recovery.........:)

Boomer

OTM Al
11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Jerkens.

I know you were just correcting the spelling, but think Beavis and Butthead when you read that one word post and it adds all new meaning :)

Tom Barrister
11-10-2008, 01:42 PM
For those of you who weren't around in the 1970's and/or aren't aware of it, Allen Jerkens was the trainer whose horses beat Secretariat after the Triple Crown. He did it with Onion and Prove Out, and those were the only two races Secretariat lost after his Triple Crown victories.

I never met Mr. Jerkens, either. I wish him well.

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2008, 04:38 PM
I know you were just correcting the spelling, but think Beavis and Butthead when you read that one word post and it adds all new meaning :)I miss those two....:lol:

ryesteve
11-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I miss those two....:lol:Now that King of the Hill is dead, maybe we can petition for a reunion!

CryingForTheHorses
11-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Hail to the chief! :1:

joanied
11-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Jerkens.

Pardon my typo... I'd bet you're the only one that woulda noticed:bang:
picky, picky:rolleyes:

joanied
11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
a real class guy too!

i wish he ate a little better, he's never met a doughnut he didn't love!

Hard to say no to a doughnut....mmmmmmmmm:)

Does the goodie truck still come around the barns in the morning...we used to have 'Red's truck' come around...everything from hot dogs to....doughnuts...mmmmmmm:jump:

joanied
11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
For those of you who weren't around in the 1970's and/or aren't aware of it, Allen Jerkens was the trainer whose horses beat Secretariat after the Triple Crown. He did it with Onion and Prove Out, and those were the only two races Secretariat lost after his Triple Crown victories.

I never met Mr. Jerkens, either. I wish him well.

Well, I was...and did you know he cried? In fact, Mr. Jerkens did that quite a lot...and his showing his emotions like he did was just one more reason to love the man...and to watch him in the barn was amazing...he did so much himself, he fed every horse himself...Mr. Jerkens and TJ Kelley were two of the hardest working trainers at Belmont...TJ was like a tornado...that man could really mooooove!!

The World is a better place having Mr. Jerken's in it

nijinski
11-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Jerkens will be heading South soon. I hope the warm weather helps speed
his recovery ."The Chief" is one of the finest trainers to step foot on the track.

PaceAdvantage
11-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Pardon my typo... I'd bet you're the only one that woulda noticed:bang:
picky, picky:rolleyes:Actually, I discreetly corrected your mistake last time on a prior thread, hoping you might pick it up. I wasn't trying to be a jackass this time around, just a little more obvious.

The guy's a legend. The least we can do is learn to spell his name correctly.

joanied
11-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Actually, I discreetly corrected your mistake last time on a prior thread, hoping you might pick it up. I wasn't trying to be a jackass this time around, just a little more obvious.

The guy's a legend. The least we can do is learn to spell his name correctly.

Oh come on:faint: I made a typo...I know how to spell Mr. JERKENS name, for cryin' out loud :bang:
Pace, if you went through posts to correct the spelling & typo errors...that is all you'd be doing...some of 'em are pretty bad, but most of us just ignore them...
Jerkens, Jerkens, Jerkens...I promise to be more careful in the future, teacher;)

point given
11-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Seems like he is coming along fine and itching to go.

http://brooklynbackstretch.blogspot.com/2008/11/update-on-chief.html

joanied
11-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Seems like he is coming along fine and itching to go.

http://brooklynbackstretch.blogspot.com/2008/11/update-on-chief.html

Not surprised to hear that...probably help him recover if he can spend a little time with the horses...just time, no work...they'll probably keep him to a slow gallop :)