PDA

View Full Version : Mini Nuke Reactors; coming to your neighborhood

JustRalph
11-08-2008, 11:39 PM
I will believe it when I see it............

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos

Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes
Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory which developed the first atomic bomb.

The miniature reactors will be factory-sealed, contain no weapons-grade material, have no moving parts and will be nearly impossible to steal because they will be encased in concrete and buried underground.

The US government has licensed the technology to Hyperion, a New Mexico-based company which said last week that it has taken its first firm orders and plans to start mass production within five years. 'Our goal is to generate electricity for 10 cents a watt anywhere in the world,' said John Deal, chief executive of Hyperion. 'They will cost approximately $25m [£13m] each. For a community with 10,000 households, that is a very affordable $250 per home.'

boxcar
11-09-2008, 12:29 AM
I will believe it when I see it............

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos

Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes
Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory which developed the first atomic bomb.

The miniature reactors will be factory-sealed, contain no weapons-grade material, have no moving parts and will be nearly impossible to steal because they will be encased in concrete and buried underground.

The US government has licensed the technology to Hyperion, a New Mexico-based company which said last week that it has taken its first firm orders and plans to start mass production within five years. 'Our goal is to generate electricity for 10 cents a watt anywhere in the world,' said John Deal, chief executive of Hyperion. 'They will cost approximately $25m [£13m] each. For a community with 10,000 households, that is a very affordable $250 per home.'

Is this $250. per home an annual figure, JR? Wouldn't these things emit anything into the atmosphere? What in the world is going to happen to our ozone? :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

JustRalph
11-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Is this $250. per home an annual figure, JR? Wouldn't these things emit anything into the atmosphere? What in the world is going to happen to our ozone? :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

250 to per home to build it. Then you pay .10 a kilowatt or whatever number they quoted

boxcar
11-09-2008, 12:58 AM
250 to per home to build it. Then you pay .10 a kilowatt or whatever number they quoted

Good grief! That's many times cheaper than what I'm paying for the city water that was piped into my semi-rural community a few years ago. I take two of dem dere reactors -- one for backup just in case. :D

Boxcar

LottaKash
11-09-2008, 05:39 AM
A nifty notion indeed, if this is true, but being from the old school, my eyebrow is raised, "nothing for nothing", and I believe there will "always" be some sort of trade.....I wonder.....

best,

jonnielu
11-09-2008, 06:42 AM
A nifty notion indeed, if this is true, but being from the old school, my eyebrow is raised, "nothing for nothing", and I believe there will "always" be some sort of trade.....I wonder.....

best,

Sounds like another loud wake up call, going out to people. While people no longer have the guts to govern themselves. Those that have an interest in governing people will have a gun to the head of each individual citizen.

If Hitler had been so equipped, he wouldn't have had to invade a single country, he could have just used his fine oratory skills to pitch them on inexpensive power.

Something that people could provide to themselves, if only they could find the courage to govern themselves.

jdl

LottaKash
11-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Sounds like another loud wake up call, going out to people. While people no longer have the guts to govern themselves. Those that have an interest in governing people will have a gun to the head of each individual citizen.

If Hitler had been so equipped, he wouldn't have had to invade a single country, he could have just used his fine oratory skills to pitch them on inexpensive power.

Something that people could provide to themselves, if only they could find the courage to govern themselves.

jdl

HeHeHe :ThmbUp: .....:jump:

best,

LottaKash
11-09-2008, 06:54 AM

best,

After giving this notion some more thought, it occured to me, what other interesting things, that could be planted in these concrete (local) bunkers....hmmmm?

best,

witchdoctor
11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Enviromentalist won't let these things come on line in the USA. They will have to be placed in Mexico and then we would buy energy from them. :bang: