PDA

View Full Version : Book Review: Extreme Pace Handicapping

Dave Schwartz
11-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Extreme Pace Handicapping: If You Doodle They Will Come
By Randy Giles

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Pace-Handicapping-Doodle-They/dp/1438222742/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226204673&sr=8-1

I have had this book for several months. Initially, I struggled to get into it because in the beginning of the book, the author does not do a great job of explaining his concepts.

A couple of days ago I decided that I need to put forth the time to try to understand what Randy was saying. With a little diligence I got past the early stumbling blocks and found a really excellent piece of work.

Randy breaks races down using a relatively simple approach once you understand it. He uses a combination of Quirin Early Speed Points, the horse's running styles (E, EP, P, P/C) and what he calls the "pace pressure guage" to create a pace picture.

This is very good stuff. I highly recommend this book.

Can't wait to add some of the features to my software. <G>

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

JustRalph
11-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I would entertain the idea of buying the book, if only I could bet the horses ....... I remember the days of betting online fondly...........seriously

I will check it out Dave

DeanT
11-09-2008, 12:12 AM
I have heard he is an excellent horseplayer. Nice to hear your thoughts Dave. I will pick this up.

LottaKash
11-09-2008, 05:53 AM
I bought this book not too long ago, on the recommendation of others on this foruum... The pace concepts such as the pace pressure gauge is worth the price of the book, alone....A nice read, too short tho...and it left a few things dangling a bit , wanting for a more complete view of the pace picture, .....Still, I recommend it from here...

best,

andicap
11-09-2008, 07:48 AM
I am very familiar with Randy's pace concepts and have read most of the stuff that he has publlished free on his various website's over the years.

For those of you, who like me have followed Randy for a number of years, is there anything NEW in this book?

Capper Al
11-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Extreme Pace Handicapping: If You Doodle They Will Come
By Randy Giles

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Pace-Handicapping-Doodle-They/dp/1438222742/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226204673&sr=8-1

I have had this book for several months. Initially, I struggled to get into it because in the beginning of the book, the author does not do a great job of explaining his concepts.

A couple of days ago I decided that I need to put forth the time to try to understand what Randy was saying. With a little diligence I got past the early stumbling blocks and found a really excellent piece of work.

Randy breaks races down using a relatively simple approach once you understand it. He uses a combination of Quirin Early Speed Points, the horse's running styles (E, EP, P, P/C) and what he calls the "pace pressure guage" to create a pace picture.

This is very good stuff. I highly recommend this book.

Can't wait to add some of the features to my software. <G>

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Thanks for the review.