PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Headley's one page ad in Saturday's DRF

Imriledup
11-08-2008, 09:58 AM
The mission statement: Horsemen are not getting their fair share.

Funny how he says that he's spending 6 figures of his own money each year on fresh stock and at the sales. Most bettors don't have 6 pennies to rub together and here he is not only spending 6 figs every year on horses, but spending god knows how much to run a full page ad in DRF on a Saturday.

His Surf Cat was just a borderline contender in a 1 million dollar race.

rrbauer
11-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I never see the print edition, but it would be interesting to have someone like Headley who has been a fixture at SoCal tracks for as long as I can remember tell us what he thinks a "fair share" for the horsemen amounts to.

Imriledup
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
He says "horsemen are entitled to one third of the gross take. This is simple and fair. We cannot accept less and continue to survive"

rrbauer
11-08-2008, 11:42 AM
He says "horsemen are entitled to one third of the gross take. This is simple and fair. We cannot accept less and continue to survive"

Poor baby. Probably couldn't buy Aase her new MB this year!

boomman
11-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Given the huge day money rates and purses horsmen are collecting in California (in which Del Mar was running 80K allowance purses) Headley must think we all fell off a truck. And as for the recent purse decreases at Hollywood that was a direct result of you guys refusing the signal to the out of state ADWs!!!!!!!:mad:

Boomer

DeanT
11-08-2008, 12:10 PM
US horseowners get 6.34% of purses from handle. The UK less than 1%, Aussie's 3% and Japan 2.68%.

And that does not include the billions that are currently being added to purses from slots.

from Crist's Blog:

http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/2008/02/global-perspect.html

Though American racehorse owners constantly complain about not getting a sufficient return on investment, in comparison to other countries, we do a pretty efficient job of directing betting commissions back to owners through purses. If British purses were our 6 percent of handle, rather than their current 1 percent, the average British purse would be over $130,000, even bigger than Hong Kong's.

If you read Crist's post on the numbers you will see we do not have a purse crisis in North America, we have a customer crisis. Maybe Mr. Headley would want to address that in a full page DRF ad and tell us why he thinks taking more money from the player via ADW will help the customer crisis.

boomman
11-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Since credibility is ALWAYS an issue, wanted to make sure that members didn't forget about this;) See below:
Boomer

Headley Reaches Settlement in Jackson Lawsuits

By Ryan Conley
Updated: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:29 PM
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2007 10:12 AM
Email (javascript:void(0);) Print (http://www.bloodhorse.com/viewstory_plain.asp?id=37924) RSS (http://www.bloodhorse.com/rss) ShareThis (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/37924/headley-reaches-settlement-in-jackson-lawsuits#)
Defendant Bruce Headley has reached an out-of-court settlement with Jess Jackson in the billionaire horseman’s high-profile lawsuits, and has apparently agreed to cooperate in the investigation against his former associates.

Headley, who was originally named along with six other horsemen and related entities in lawsuits Jackson filed in California and Kentucky, reportedly settled for $900,000, according to attorneys connected to the case.

“Bruce Headley agreed to pay an amount which represents disgorgement of every cent he inappropriately received,” said Lexington-based attorney Richard Getty, who is part of Jackson’s legal team. “Mr. Jackson set out to get his money back from Mr. Headley, and he did just that.”

Contacted at his barn Friday morning, Headley refused to comment, but indicated he would soon be releasing a statement on the settlement.

As part of the settlement, Getty said that Headley has agreed to work with the Jackson team in future efforts involving the lawsuits.

“Mr. Headley has agreed to provide testimony and cooperate on behalf of Mr. Jackson,” Getty said.

The settlement reportedly was a by-product of mediation hearings held in California in recent weeks that involved Jackson and most or all of the defendants.

Headley was part of a group of horsemen formerly affiliated with Jackson that were accused of collaborating to defraud the winemaker on purchases involving horses and the former Buckram Oak Farm in Kentucky.

Tom Barrister
11-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Interesting how the horseman are all crying out for a bigger share of revenue after the corresponding jurisdictions started cracking down on drug abuse.

racefinder2
11-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Every time I hear one of these hawk-eyed, snake-tongued b*stards talking about the nice horsies during the BC or interviews, I immediately check my
pocket to make sure my wallets stilll there.....

LottaKash
11-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Interesting how the horseman are all crying out for a bigger share of revenue after the corresponding jurisdictions started cracking down on drug abuse.

Light Bulb Time, Baby !!!!!! .... :jump: .... go Tom B.

cj
11-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised we aren't hearing more from the owners on this. I think the trainers are making too much money. If the "horsemen" do get a higher percentage, how much of it will make it to the owners? My guess is not much if any.

The sad thing is most of the trainers that need money are being robbed blind by the cheating trainers, but they don't complain about that.

Tom
11-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Bruce can always bag groceries at Piggly Wiggly.
I for one would not miss him a bit if he left the game. Buh bye cry baby.
We need far less racing and far less trainers anyway.

How about this to increase trainer money - winner take races only - NO PAY foe second or worse. :D

This game gets dumber and dumber every day. Take out an ad and insult the customers.

bigmack
11-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I like Heady (That's Headley), but he's mistaken on the ad.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/Videos/SectionVideo/d707a242-9349-4032-b514-dbacf7041372.htm

DeanT
11-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Take out an ad and insult the customers.

That's exactly what they are doing, but the sad part is they don't realize it :bang:

JustRalph
11-08-2008, 02:03 PM
As usual everything costs more in California.

Headley could get the hell out of California.

The cost of doing business there is one of the problems they face. Yet they invite a half ass Governor calling for 14 Billion more in taxes to present the biggest Trophy of the year. The enemy is the Government.........as usual

JustRalph
11-08-2008, 04:31 PM
The sad thing is most of the trainers that need money are being robbed blind by the cheating trainers, but they don't complain about that.

On a re-read, incredibly salient point

Bobzilla
11-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Does anybody have an idea how much buying a one page ad in the DRF costs? I'm sure the cost would be prohibitive but wouldn't it be nice if HANA could come back a week later with a formal response to Mr. Headley's ad?

BombsAway Bob
11-08-2008, 05:45 PM
I like Heady (That's Headley), but he's mistaken on the ad.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/Videos/SectionVideo/d707a242-9349-4032-b514-dbacf7041372.htm
After enduring a steady stream of dreadful Md.$25k claimers & state-bred Md.$40k races from So.California tracks, I ask Mr.Headley, "What makes you think you deserve a 50% Pay increase as owners? No one has forced you into this game, & the generous State-bred bonuses & incentives implemented over the years are a PURE gift from the state, tracks, & bettors to keep you in business!"
As far as his bullet points, the lack of "Unusual Heat"breeding success stories in California are the cause of Breeding Farms dwindling, & less mares being bred to. Perhaps a "thinning of the herd" is in order, both in equine population & breeding operations. The fact many breeders have purposely fleeced unwitting new owners in the game gives me no cause to shed a tear for them now that the money spigot is getting shut off.
Better Yet, Let's give owners a third...of a UNIFORM 15% Takeout on all wagers at all tracks in the nation! If any one of the three parties involved (Tracks, Owners, ADWS) can't survive on a 5% model, See Ya!
Even 15% is excessive, but if it would open up this quagmire in bettable racing, I'd happily live with it.
(It would be a reduction on 95% of the action currently out there!)

miesque
11-08-2008, 06:10 PM
http://www.drf.com/about/about_ad_rates.html

All rate information for DRF is available on their website. I would like to take this opportunity as the resident beancounter for the Horseplayers Association of North America to note that while we have have had a few horseplayers who were kind and generous enough to send a small contribution to offset expenses, we are still in a situation where Board Members are reaching into their own pockets to cover revenue/expense gaps. It is my hope that as our membership base grows and we start making some inroads we will have increased revenue which will enable us to more effectively get our message across and every little bit helps.

Imriledup
11-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Headley very rarely, if ever, ships his monsters around the country to take advantage of slots fueled purses. Isn't that HIS fault for not taking advantage of the high purses in some areas?

Also, since slots came to racetracks a few years ago, BILLIONS of dollars have been added to purses that went directly to horsemen. Not one penny of that slots money (that i know of) has gone to the horseplayers.

JustRalph
11-08-2008, 08:40 PM
why should he ship? He is protected by a weak and tolerate environment in Calif. If he ships out and gets a positive etc......... he might get a real suspension........

I don't know what his record is on positives.........but I am sure this is why many many Socal Trainers don't ship anywhere.......... they get away with murder at home.

Charlie D
11-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't know what his record is on positives.........but I am sure this is why many many Socal Trainers don't ship anywhere.......... they get away with murder at home.

another reason not to support thier racing

Any more??

proximity
11-08-2008, 08:54 PM
why should he ship? He is protected by a weak and tolerate environment in Calif. If he ships out and gets a positive etc......... he might get a real suspension........

their leading trainer is like 20% with 6-7 horse fields. handicap some slots tracks and see if your definition of "murder" changes at all!! if nothing else you'll learn that "real suspensions" are rarely issued at these places:)

Imriledup
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM

He shouldn't ship. But, then he shouldn't complain about anything either.

alhattab
11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Also, since slots came to racetracks a few years ago, BILLIONS of dollars have been added to purses that went directly to horsemen. Not one penny of that slots money (that i know of) has gone to the horseplayers.

At least the quality of racing has increased commensurate with the higher purse levels.

This whole model is strange to me. Others I believe have mentioned this in related threads. Why do the horsemen even have a say in the rate? There is precedent for this sort of arrangement- I know hockey salaries are on a revenue share basis- but why is that a must? I suppose yet another symptom of our over-regulated sport. I'd rather just have the tracks set how much they pay and let the market participants figure out where they get the best deal.

Imriledup
11-08-2008, 10:42 PM
At least the quality of racing has increased commensurate with the higher purse levels.

This whole model is strange to me. Others I believe have mentioned this in related threads. Why do the horsemen even have a say in the rate? There is precedent for this sort of arrangement- I know hockey salaries are on a revenue share basis- but why is that a must? I suppose yet another symptom of our over-regulated sport. I'd rather just have the tracks set how much they pay and let the market participants figure out where they get the best deal.

I think that THEY think they have a say because they could just boycott the entry box and not race. Also, they have a voice and when you have a voice and the voice makes some noise, you can get things done. Racing fans don't have a voice, that's why they get the short end of the stick all the time.

Imriledup
11-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Marsha Naify has an open letter in Sunday's DRF pleading for more money. Wasn't her dad worth 4 BILLION with a B? She's contributing 21k in political campaign donations just in 2008 alone and she's telling the horseplayer in an open letter she needs more money to survive? You. Have. GOT. to. be. kidding. me.

I'm not sure if i'm going to be able to sleep tonight knowing that Marsha can't pay her horse bills.:bang:

Charlie D
11-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Maybe she should read Mr Crist's blog article before shouting "we want more"

DeanT
11-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Horse owners have a cost problem. Until costs are controlled they will keep asking for more. I am going through bills right now. They are up about 400% since 1990. That is an industry problem that they have to get ahold of, and it is not a revenue problem as Crist notes. Bettors are being used as a scapegoat, imo.

What letters like that dont mention is the bettor, because (again JMO) they don't bet and don't understand betting. We as bettors know if you cut 5% out of rewards through higher take, we will bet around 15%-25% less. If we bet 25% less and they take 5% more, they will probably end up with less revenue. That simple betting concept that we all live with every day seems to escape them.

When I want to know what equipment to use on a horse, or what vet work needs to be done, I ask a trainer, because that is what they do and they know horses best - it is crazy for me to tell them how to do their job. On the flipside, if they want to know something about betting, they never ask a bettor. It is a strange dichotomy. Sometimes I wonder that if these people have a plugged toilet, they call a dentist.

Niko
11-11-2008, 02:33 PM
so instead of advertising, can we ever decide on a track to boycott for a week? preferably a month--or longer?

Obvious targets would be Hollywood, Churchill and Calder. Fire a shot back at the trainers, maybe they'll listen to the customer at some point.....Big question is will the larger players support it? We can still do well without their support because they'll be playing against each other then, we'll just have to have a larger movement. Ideally bring thorograph, sheets players, equiform, paceadvantage members etc.. to band together.

I wasn't a big bettor of Calder and don't miss it...I liked Churchill but I don't even think about the track anymore....

Keeneland...goes with PTC etc--they'll continue to get my money. I know people hate poly but I didn't like the dirt inside speed bias and 5 length winners either...

I feel for most of the owners....tough to make money and an expensive hobby.

Dahoss9698
11-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Maybe Headley should ship the horses he trains that obviously prefer dirt (Surf Cat, Magnificience to name a few) to tracks that have dirt. It certainly turned Arson Squad, who he previously had around. Wouldn't that help him make a better living?

JustRalph
11-11-2008, 05:12 PM
one track? Are you kidding? We need to take and entire weekend off from any betting......!!!!

Pick a weekend between now and xmas............it is slow, no big races etc............

Do it now!!!!! Get this thing started across the net.

I am tired of being treated like shit by a sport that I enjoy so much!!

Charlie D
11-11-2008, 05:46 PM
There's been a lot written and not much action

It's now time to stop writing

boomman
11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
There's been a lot written and not much action

It's now time to stop writing

And I won't either:mad: ......I have said on previous threads and will say it again: All of us collectively can make this problem go away by simply taking our hard earned dollars out of the pools for the tracks that participate in this nonsense, and put the dollars into the pools of the tracks that are easily accessible. I have been a fairly large player for almost 30 years and have pulled my wagering dollars from the non-compliant tracks from the very start of this crisis, will continue to do so, and urge others to "speak with their betting dollars". I am confident when non access tracks experience record low handle numbers, and TRUST ME THEY WILL, this will end. It is an easy solution to a nasty problem that requires everyone that loves this game's complete cooperation. I have done something about it personally and I know there's huge strength in numbers........I urge you to join me in not wagering ONE DOLLAR on non access tracks..........

Boomer

LottaKash
11-11-2008, 06:34 PM
And I won't either:mad: ......strength in numbers........I urge you to join me in not wagering ONE DOLLAR on non access tracks..........
Boomer

I'm IN or should I say OUT ?......:D

best,

Charlie D
11-11-2008, 06:36 PM
.I urge you to join me in not wagering ONE DOLLAR on non access tracks..........

I have joined you already Boomer

Niko
11-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Ok, so we don't bet Calder, Hollywood or Churchill. That's easy enough because I can't.... :D I don't think I could even if I opened a 3rd or 4th betting account. I used to love it when all the horses came to Calder during the end of December..no more.

How about January? What track do you feel warrants it? I like Santa Anita but if the horseman extend to that track it's a good target, Magna's in enough trouble as it is-a lot of Magna haters out there...Tampa is heading in the right direction and has tried to make improvements the last couple of years, so I wouldn't pick them. Aqueduct? I know there's some speed loving antifreeze handicappers out there though.

Will Hana support or lead a betting strike at a track through advertising or word of mouth. I don't have any connections. I'll throw in a couple bucks if it's advertising of a boycott.

I'll follow even if it's a track I like at this point. I think it would be that much stronger if we picked two tracks--the bigger the better.

How much support can we get....we need the big guns to help lead...or a lot of little foot soldiers. The horseman are leading their charge, it's time to lead ours or to stop bitching about what's going on....

Niko
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I was going to start betting Fairgrounds but other than that I've voted and taken the rest of the year off at this point--for what it's worth

jfb
11-14-2008, 03:36 AM

You have got Headley confused with Sadler, or Mullins, or Mitchell. He is known for having clean horses. He is also known for treating his horses much better than he treats his owners.