PDA

View Full Version : The midseason NFL draft

Bubbles
11-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm seeding sub-.500 teams in a draft based on records to this point, with ties broken on objective feelings of how bad the teams are in comparison to one another. Here goes...

1) Detroit Lions (0-8): TRADE PICK.
Rationale: Simply put, the Lions have too many need positions. They could move down in the draft to a lower top-five pick, get an additional third-round choice or so, and try and find a warm body they can develop into a long-term upgrade at a position at that spot. Here's one scenario after they trade the pick...

1) Cincinnati Bengals (1-7, from #3): Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
Rationale: Chris Perry and Cedric Benson are glorified spell backs. They can still be used in the offense (Perry has good hands, while Benson could be a decent short-yardage guy in the right offense), but Cincinnati has not had a top-tier running back...well, ever. That changes here, and it gives the offense another dimension for defenses to plan against.

2) Kansas City Chiefs (1-7): Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
Rationale: It's no secret that KC's rebuilding from the inside out. Last year, they took Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert. In this draft, they complement Dorsey with a great all-around defensive end who can play right away. I could see them taking Moreno if he falls to them, but I doubt he will.

3) Detroit Lions (from #1): James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
Rationale: I see this as an easy, low-risk pick. Detroit already has one promising linebacker in Ernie Sims. If I'm in that front office, I pick Little Animal and watch gleefully as the two prospects grow together to form a dominating unit for years to come.

4) Oakland Raiders (2-6): Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S, Ohio State
Rationale: Oakland's got several young prospects on offense. Their defense couldn't be worse. Jenkins is the best defensive player on the board, and is a guy who can both cover and hit hard. They may also be a candidate to trade up, given Al Davis's penchant for the spotlight.

5) St. Louis Rams (2-6): Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
Rationale: Is he streaky? Yes. But at his best, he's the best passer in college football, and it's not close (sorry, Tim Tebow, Matt Stafford, and Sam Bradford). Marc Bulger has grown to be very ineffective, and this marks the start of a new era in the history of a team once renowned to have the greatest show on turf...provided he declares for the draft after this year.

6) San Francisco 49ers (2-6): Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
Rationale: I don't like taking offensive linemen this early (for every Orlando Pace, there are three or four Robert Gallery's). However, you need to protect young quarterbacks to give them a chance, and that's what SF's failed to do. Plus, Frank Gore will reap huge rewards with an improved O-line.

7) Seattle Seahawks (2-6): Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Rationale: I know Mike Holmgren is leaving and that Seneca Wallace is supposed to be the heir apparent to Matt Hasselbeck. But what Holmgren doesn't want to know is that Wallace is horrible. It comes down to Bradford and Matt Stafford, but I'm not sure Stafford's nearly as good without Knowshon Moreno to take the pressure off him.

8) Houston Texans (3-5): William Moore, S, Missouri
Rationale: I could also see them going with an offensive lineman, but their secondary has gotten exploited a lot this year. This team strikes me as being just a few years away from being pretty good, and a quality safety is one more piece of the puzzle.

9) Jacksonville Jaguars (3-5): Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
Rationale: The crying in the South isn't because John McCain lost; it's David Garrard wondering where his deep targets went. Crabtree is a big-time playmaker who's a threat to score on every single down, as he proved against Texas.

10) San Diego Chargers (3-5): Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
Rationale: San Diego's run defense has betrayed them, and Johnson is the best d-lineman left in the draft. The 3-4 puts a lot of weight on the linemen, but Johnson could be able to carry it right away.

11) Cleveland Browns (4-5 with a win tonight): Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
Rationale: Javon Ringer and Chris Wells both fit here given Jamal Lewis's advanced age, but Cleveland needs a ton of help on defense. Maualuga is a complete player who can drop back in coverage, play the run, and blitz the quarterback, and he'd be a good fit.

boomman
11-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Bubbles: Well done! As an avid KC Chiefs fan, there is no doubt that Orakpo (especially with Jared Allen gone) would have to be someone they're looking at. Even though I'm the furthest thing in the world from being a Carl Peterson fan (Chiefs GM) they had an outstanding draft, and have shown signs of huge improvement in the last 2 weeks, having had the lead in the final minute against both the Jets and Bucs............Bad teams lose those kinds of games of course, but they appear to be heading in the right direction, especially offensively, as scoring 27 points against the Bucs defense is no easy task!

Boomer

rastajenk
11-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I'd rather the Bengies pick Beanie Man over Moreno, but they really need studly linemen on both sides more than anything else. What I'd really rather see is them win a few more games and drop down a few spots instead of being in a position to do something notoriously stupid.

Valuist
11-07-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't know where Denver will draft but they had better draft a sure handed tackler. The Broncos have to be one of the worst tackling teams I've ever seen.

toetoe
11-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Good analysis, Bubz.

cj
11-07-2008, 04:44 PM
It is HIGHLY unlikely Sam Bradford is coming out after this year. Neither is Colt McCoy.

That said, there is zero chance Colt McCoy is going that high in the draft in any year. He is not even close to the passer Bradford is, or several others in college football. The K-St guy will be taken long before him.