PDA

View Full Version : Obama says get rid of BCS -- have a playoff

highnote
11-06-2008, 09:58 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-obamabcs110508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

“I think it is about time that we had playoffs in college football,” Obama said Monday on ESPN. “I’m fed up with these computer rankings and this and that and the other. Get eight teams – the top eight teams right at the end. You got a playoff. Decide on a national champion.”

LottaKash
11-06-2008, 10:08 PM
First Presidential Directive.......:jump:

GO oSama.....:jump: ..... #:1:

best.

pktruckdriver
11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I knew I liked this guy, just didn't know till now.:jump: Go Gators

dav4463
11-06-2008, 11:02 PM
The first time in history I've agreed with Obama!...............

On second thought, I kind of like college football the way it is. Every week is huge. The regular season means something.

Tom
11-07-2008, 07:38 AM
"I heard he as going to install a basketball court in the WH...right over the current bowling alley! :D

wes
11-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Obama will not go to a hockey game. Afraid they will throw the puck out!

wes

canleakid
11-07-2008, 10:14 AM
FYI:
Texas offensive lineman Buck Burnette, who was released from the team this week, has apologized to his teammates for posting an inflammatory text message regarding President-elect Barack Obama on his Facebook account.

Burnette, a sophomore from Wimberley, told them he was sorry for making a "racial slur."

"I was communicating on Facebook during the election coverage and I made a terrible decision to post a text message that I received regarding the outcome of the election," Burnette said in a statement to the American-Statesman.

"The message contained a racial slur. That lack of judgment on my part has had devastating consequences. Those that know me understand that this is not a true reflection of my character. I sincerely apologize to everyone that I have offended. I have had the opportunity to apologize to my teammates and coaches and have received support from many of them in return."

Longhorns coach Mack Brown, after speaking with athletic director DeLoss Dodds on Wednesday, dismissed Burnette from the team. A football spokesman said Thursday that Brown would have no comment.

According to those who saw Burnette's page on the social-networking Web site Facebook, Burnette updated his status shortly after Obama was elected president Tuesday night and wrote that hunters should now gather because of who would be in the White House. The comments, which initially were intended only for his friends on Facebook, quickly spread on the Internet.

Burnette's page has since been deleted from Facebook. However, screen grabs show that before the page was deleted, Burnette had updated his status to include an apology for the earlier remarks.

Both Burnette and his father said Thursday that many of the comments being attributed to Burnette on the Internet were not accurate.

"There are a lot of false statements and quotes on the Internet attributed to me," Buck Burnette said. "But regardless, what I did post is indefensible. I made a very bad decision to post on my Facebook a text message that was sent to me in reference to the election. This posting has caused embarrassment and distraction to the University of Texas football team."

Burnette appeared in seven of Texas' nine games this season as a reserve lineman and on special teams.

"The football team really was his family, and he feels like he let his family down," Burnette's father, Grady, said. "He is overwhelmed with the support he's received from his teammates and is sorry if he caused any of them pain. He feels bad because he knows that he caused a distraction to the team. He really wanted to let coach Brown and everybody else know how sorry he is. He can't apologize enough."

The U.S. Secret Service office in Austin declined to say Thursday whether the incident would be investigated as threat against the president-elect. But spokesman Darrin Blackford said the Secret Service regularly investigates any report of a threat against those it protects, including Obama.

highnote
11-07-2008, 01:01 PM
If you look at an election map, you will see that Obama gained over Kerry voters and McCain lost ground to Bush voters in every section of the country except Appalachia -- the band from the Penn/Oh/WV triad down through KY, TN and northern Arkansas.

It will be another 20 years until that band of Appalachia catches up with the rest of the country.

I say this from experience because that is the area in which I grew up.

And as Mark Twain was said to have written -- "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind."

That's a joke. I realize not everyone in Appalachia shares GaryG's sentiment. My aunt and uncle are retired schoolteachers from Cincinnati and big Obama supporters as well as many other members of my family in Ohio and Indiana.

The Judge
11-07-2008, 05:56 PM
don't realize just how powerful this medium is can you imagine how many people have been sunk because of it? This combined with cell phones that capture images nothing is safe or private. If you don't want it blasted over the world don't do it or say it.

I remember I sent an e-mail to some friends some got it some didn't none came back what happened to those that did arraive I have no idea. Who haven't heard the story of sending a e-mail to a few friends talking about someone only to find out the e-mail was sent to your entire list encluding the person being talked about.

I feel sorry for this young man maybe he can sit out and come back but he had to be let go. Not just because of Obama but its Texas and they still have John Kennedy sensitivity issues there. This kid may be too young to understand the full measure of what he posted. Give him another chance.

Valuist
11-07-2008, 11:40 PM
This isn't the first time some college kid got in trouble for posting something stupid on Facebook.

rrpic6
11-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Seems pretty petty compare to the hate spewed out towards Obama here.

RR

PaceAdvantage
11-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Seems pretty petty compare to the hate spewed out towards Obama here.

RRReally? How so. Provide some links too. If anyone posts any racial slurs, they are deleted on site. That kind of stuff isn't tolerated here. Any habitual offenders who don't get the message are removed.

But then again, you use the word "hate" as in "don't like." Maybe you aren't talking about racial slurs at all, even though that football player got nailed for using a racial slur which you deemed "petty."

cj
01-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Well, Utah shows again what a joke of a sport college football will always be without a playoff. Undefeated, beat some pretty good teams in Alabama and Oregon St and BYU, and no chance to win.

rastajenk
01-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Seems to hold a lot of interest to a whole lot of people for being a joke. ;)

cj
01-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I lot of people are interested in professional wrestling too.

cj's dad
01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
BO has recently recanted his endorsement of a playoff system as he "will be devoting time to the creation of 3,000,000 jobs :lol: for the American people".

His biggest task will be finding 3,000,000 Americans who are not working who actually want to work.