PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using Equisim on Vista 64 Bit

JustRalph
11-06-2008, 04:32 PM
I am having trouble installing the Jet Database............on Vista 64 Bit..........

Anybody solved this problem ?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Houndog
11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Ralph I found this information on a google search. Don't know if this will help.

1) You can't install MDAC on Vista. Period.
2) MS still supports the Jet engine and you can use "MSAccess style
databases" on Vista.
3) MS isn't killing support of VB6 on Vista, (but isn't making it all that
easy either).

More Details:
MS removed the Jet components from the MDAC packages a long time ago.
(Pre-XP, IIRC, along about MDAC 2.7.) The Jet is available as a separate
install.

MS removed the "MDAC" as a separate package for Vista. Vista now comes with
its own data access library called the DAC ("Data Access Components"). You
will occasionally is it referred to as "ADO 6.0". Implying it is an updated
ADO. It is not. It is "DAC 6.0" and is functionally equivalent to MDAC/ADO
2.8 SP1. Just like the MDAC that came before all previous ADO versions are
supported.

You can't install MDAC, because MDAC functionality is already there. Vista
will specifically refuse to install any MDAC package.

There is currently no 64-bit support for Jet. But then MSAccess 2007 is
32-bit. You can still create 32-bit programs that will work with 32-bit Jet.
While 32-bit doesn't co-mingle with 64-bit. It is possible to use IPC/COM+
etc. to design processes to work together, ie a 64-bit process could utilize
the services of a 32-bit process.

So yes you can use Jet on 64-bit Vista, just not natively thru a 64-bit
process.

The future of Jet is a bit cloudy. For one thing, its development has been
removed from the SQLServer crowd and has been turned over to the Office
group. The Office group has come up with a new database format - the acedb.
This format is accessed using the new data access library called ACEDAO. It
is based on Jet. Or perhaps I should say it is derived from Jet. Even more
interesting is the interface is derived from DAO. I would not be surprise to
find that MSAccess 200? 64-bit version offers a 64-bit access to acedb.

Adding to the FUD is the fact that MS in general and the SQLServer crowd in
particular are declaring the death of Jet and DAO. But then they have doing
so for so long it has become boring.

hth
-ralph

LottaKash
11-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Vista sucks, and was never ready for prime-time.........

"Windows-7" Beta is just on the horizon, and should be out in early 09'....this should be a better Vista, til then XP is still KIng for me.........

best,

headhawg
11-07-2008, 09:01 AM
"Windows-7" Beta is just on the horizon, and should be out in early 09'....this should be a better VistaHere's why I don't think it will be any good either. M$ had five years (maybe more) to develop Vista and that's what they came up with? Did someone not Beta test it? Were there no focus groups? (And I'm not talking about the people that M$ used in that stupid new Windows commercial.)

Windows 7 was supposed to be released in 2010. There is no way that M$ does anything substantially different with Win7 in a shorter development time. The best that can be hoped for is that Win7 is what Vista was supposed to be. And that may still not be good enough.

cj
11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Vista sucks, and was never ready for prime-time.........

"Windows-7" Beta is just on the horizon, and should be out in early 09'....this should be a better Vista, til then XP is still KIng for me.........

best,

While Vista has had its share of problems, I have heard plenty of good about the 64 Bit Vista OS.

dartman51
11-07-2008, 11:40 AM
No one should be suprised that vista sucks. Most of the new operating systems do when they come out. People flock to buy them, or they are on their new computers that they purchase, then you're stuck. No refunds, no free fixes for all the errors. Just sit around and wait for the next NEW version, that maybe, fixed SOME of the problems, and you have to pay full price for that one too. That's why Bill Gates is so rich. I went from Windows 3.2, to Windows 98SE. Then went from 98SE to XP PRO. I refuse to buy a computer with the operating system already installed.

JustRalph
11-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks Houndog

Roger
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
This is all very interesting..I am thinking of getting a new laptop, which no doubt will be loaded with Vista. Any workarounds for loading the Equisin Jet database?
Or is this going have to be a fix on Nathan's part?

Roger, :confused:

cj
11-07-2008, 02:35 PM
No one should be suprised that vista sucks. Most of the new operating systems do when they come out. People flock to buy them, or they are on their new computers that they purchase, then you're stuck. No refunds, no free fixes for all the errors. Just sit around and wait for the next NEW version, that maybe, fixed SOME of the problems, and you have to pay full price for that one too. That's why Bill Gates is so rich. I went from Windows 3.2, to Windows 98SE. Then went from 98SE to XP PRO. I refuse to buy a computer with the operating system already installed.

Dude, you forgot Windows ME!

JustRalph
11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
This is all very interesting..I am thinking of getting a new laptop, which no doubt will be loaded with Vista. Any workarounds for loading the Equisin Jet database?
Or is this going have to be a fix on Nathan's part?

Roger, :confused:

I can't make it work, ............ the Jet Database is not supported on the 64 bit version, I see some on the THorotech board have it working in the 32 bit version of Vista......... and have for a while now.

I am not happy, but what's new...........

LottaKash
11-07-2008, 03:37 PM
While Vista has had its share of problems, I have heard plenty of good about the 64 Bit Vista OS.

Yes, CJ, I believe (64-bit) is the real reason to own Vista.....My comment was based on my migration from XP to Vista and the related driver and ancient software-incompatibility issues that were plaguing me in my brief experience of using it.....I suspect the beast has been tamed to a purring kitten or something like it.....

Still, I haven't a need for 64-bit as of yet, so I will smoothly hum along with XP until there is a need to change......

best,

Roger
11-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Well I guess the solution is buying one sans an operation system, and loading old faithful XP. this technology is getting way ahead of me!

ldiatone
11-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I am having trouble installing the Jet Database............on Vista 64 Bit..........

Anybody solved this problem ?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
i'll try to help. did you install as a "Run as Administrator". also one can
(from a booklet i just bought) "Run a program in compatibility Mode"
right click on properties of the program and click the tab of "compatibility".
see if that helps.

JustRalph
11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
i'll try to help. did you install as a "Run as Administrator". also one can
(from a booklet i just bought) "Run a program in compatibility Mode"
right click on properties of the program and click the tab of "compatibility".
see if that helps.

Tried it. No go. Thanks very much for the suggestions!

The problem is that Equisim is looking specifically for the Jet Database........ which is replaced in Vista 64............. even though the same funcionality is built into Vista, Equisim wants to see the Jet Database specifically..........Thanks to all..........

raybo
11-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't know about the Jet engine problem but I've been running Vista on a 64 bit machine for some time now and have had zero problems.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2008, 07:02 PM
While Vista has had its share of problems, I have heard plenty of good about the 64 Bit Vista OS.That's what I've been using since February....absolutely no complaints here....UAC turned off, and all is well.

Red Knave
11-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Ralph

I use a software development platform that is strictly 32 bit and what other developers do with Vista 64 is to run this platform in a virtual machine using, for example, an XP SP3 machine. These guys seem to like vmware the best but a few use MS Virtual PC. It seems counter intuitive but anyone that does it says it works really well.

JustRalph
11-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi Ralph

I use a software development platform that is strictly 32 bit and what other developers do with Vista 64 is to run this platform in a virtual machine using, for example, an XP SP3 machine. These guys seem to like vmware the best but a few use MS Virtual PC. It seems counter intuitive but anyone that does it says it works really well.

yep, I am leaning towards something like that. Thanks!