PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the bar

PaceAdvantage
11-06-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm enjoying the following concept being thrown about wildly right now as it pertains to our next president:

"Well, it can't get any worse than it was under George W. Bush."

Further proof people have lost all sense of historical perspective. The same people who like to call Palin intellectually challenged!

Can't get any worse than Bush? How about the President(s) who got us into and escalated a much more costly and divisive war I like to call VIETNAM? Remember that one? Kennedy, Johnson and the Republicans who finally ended it, Nixon/Ford?

If we are to judge the condition of an economy based upon the number of people "hurting," then today is a CAKEWALK compared to other recent modern economic episodes, such as the one presided over by JIMMY CARTER. Double-digit inflation rates, super high interest rates, super high unemployment, oil and gas crisis, overall slow economic growth, secret US involvement in AFGHANISTAN to provoke the USSR (thanks to National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zbigniew_Brzezinski), whose influence may rear its head again in an Obama administration), and of course, the IRAN HOSTAGE crisis.

All those who say "it can't get any worse than Bush" and in their next breath condemn Palin as some sort of intellectual cretin should hang their heads in shame. All historical perspective has once again been tossed into the scrap heap in the name of Bush Derangement Syndrome.

So, as you can see, it can indeed get much worse than it has been under George W. Bush.

hcap
11-06-2008, 05:40 AM
We will see. Obama is inheriting a huge mess, both financially, and 2 wars overseas.

Maybe it can get worse, but I will tell you something, it cannot get any more embarrassing.

HUSKER55
11-06-2008, 05:45 AM
I agree with you PA

ddog
11-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Pa

How you draw these things is ????

Palin appears to be at least cretin-like and that has nothing to do with better or worse under Bush.

For a post that decries historical "intelligence" you seem to make the first fatal mistake , TIMES change.

sammy the sage
11-06-2008, 07:25 AM
"" you make the first fatal mistake , TIMES change.

I've stated the same thing on OTHER topic's...economy esp. :rolleyes:

But HISTORY repeats itself as well...all empire's fall eventually....many when they de-based their own currency... :eek: ...WHO'S doing that NOW!

What's even funnier...(not really :( )right vs left...on this board as well as on the street level...

NEITHER side will LOOK in a mirror....it's ALL the other side's FAULT...

sammy the sage
11-06-2008, 07:27 AM
By the way...TERRIBLE analogy...

""Can't get any worse than Bush? How about the President(s) who got us into and escalated a much more costly and divisive war I like to call VIETNAM? Remember that one? Kennedy, Johnson and the Republicans who finally ended it, Nixon/Ford?""

Cause THIS TIME it's the REVERSE...and the DEM's will HAVE TO BAIL us out..(pun intented)...geez :bang:

lamboguy
11-06-2008, 07:48 AM
i agree with pa where it actually can and probably will get worse. its really never the president's fault that things go wrong underneath him, its the people that elected the man to begin with. when you put an inept person into power this is precisely what you get, and will continue to receive. sub par leadership.

no soverign nation has ever lasted more than 75 years under the fiat currency system. the united states got off the gold standard during the nixon years. the clock is ticking

Tom
11-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Two years of failure by a dem congess....now the shackled have been removed, so there would seem to be no limit as to how low that bar will go now! :lol:

prospector
11-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Two years of failure by a dem congess....now the shackled have been removed, so there would seem to be no limit as to how low that bar will go now! :lol:
its already starting...russia sure is afraid of barry..lol

LottaKash
11-06-2008, 08:50 AM
""

NEITHER side will LOOK in a mirror....it's ALL the other side's FAULT...

Sammy, I never look in the mirror.....At my age, it is a very scary proposition.....:jump:

best,

DanG
11-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Come on PA / Mike;

Didn’t last nights South Park put things into perspective for you? :)

DeanT
11-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm lowering the bar to 3. I started the AQU meet hoping to get at least 6 winners. No more.

Oh, and I blame George Bush for it.

delayjf
11-06-2008, 03:49 PM
We will see. Obama is inheriting a huge mess, both financially, and 2 wars overseas.
Maybe it can get worse, but I will tell you something, it cannot get any more embarrassing.
Let me guess, you are one of those Americans who are now proud of their country for the first time in your life. On a serious note, we are looking at two small scale wars at least compared to Vietnam. And as far as I’m concerned, it’s only proper that Obama inherit the economic mess we are currently in, as he and the rest of the demwit social engineers are responsible for instigating and expanding its cause (sub-prime market) If Congress had only listened to President Bush in 2003, we wouldn’t be in this mess today.

Light
11-06-2008, 04:28 PM
How about the President(s) who got us into and escalated a much more costly and divisive war I like to call VIETNAM? Remember that one? Kennedy, Johnson and the Republicans who finally ended it, Nixon/Ford?

Ummm.Nixon didn't end the war. He simply pulled us out due to internal pressure and it continued till the commies won. Then there was peace. Amazing. Maybe if we weren't so hyped about a threat that didnt exist,countless lives would have been spared and peace would have been years sooner. Sound familiar?

So, as you can see, it can indeed get much worse than it has been under George W. Bush.

I didn't get the impression that you thought it was bad at all under GW. I'm sure it's already worse for YOU, just because the neocons are on the way out. But I dont have my hopes up on Obama. He's not as liberal as you and Sara think. Trust me,he'd agree more with you than me. Obama will bow to corporate America. The real power. His first appointee to his cabinet yesterday was a conservative pro Israeli democrat. Doesn't do much good if you have a centrist leader and right wing advisors in your cabinet. Bush's cabinet was loaded with neocons which made a right wing president move to the far right.

Secretariat
11-06-2008, 04:36 PM
PA,

I totally beleive it can get worse under Obama. Bush has created a disaster that is going to take decades to recover from. Just the debt alone as well as damage to the environment, and irreparable damage around the world with his foreign policy.

It will take awhile, but just say it PA. "Yes, we can." Allow the cyncism to dissolve and say it. "Yes, we can."

I think we will see "improvement", but it will take all of Obama's term to see the light at the end of the disaster tunnel created by Bush-Cheney.

OTM Al
11-06-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm not even sure the best efforts of whoever would have won this election will be able to get us out of the hole that has been dug. I have little doubt, basically barring a miracle, that Mr. Obama will get a second term and the same would have been true for Mr. McCain. Whoever gets elected next will probably end up getting a lot of credit for the things that will be started in the next 4 years.

PaceAdvantage
11-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Come on PA / Mike;

Didn’t last nights South Park put things into perspective for you? :)Are they showing new episodes! Damn! I missed it!

HUSKER55
11-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Did anybody watch Pelosi on the news tonight? She wants another government bailout for the automakers. It was on the stock report.

First one didn't work. What in the world would make you think a second one will? And don't forget the stimulus package.

And dems said there would be change. What am I missing. Business as usual.

Marshall Bennett
11-06-2008, 09:18 PM
I suppose with plunging oil prices the oil industry will be next , contractors in particular . Pelosi's an idiot anyway , I can't imagine even a democrat with marginal intelligence listening to her opinion where the economy is concerned .

prospector
11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I suppose with plunging oil prices the oil industry will be next , contractors in particular . Pelosi's an idiot anyway , I can't imagine even a democrat with marginal intelligence listening to her opinion where the economy is concerned .
they vote her to be speaker...what does that say about their marginal intelligence? :)

ddog
11-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Let me guess, you are one of those Americans who are now proud of their country for the first time in your life. On a serious note, we are looking at two small scale wars at least compared to Vietnam. And as far as I’m concerned, it’s only proper that Obama inherit the economic mess we are currently in, as he and the rest of the demwit social engineers are responsible for instigating and expanding its cause (sub-prime market) If Congress had only listened to President Bush in 2003, we wouldn’t be in this mess today.

I believe you are missing the point on your two small scale wars.
'Nam was not against an enemy who wanted to die just so long as they took us with them, obviously since we and they are still here.

You and others compare the two at our peril.

For instance , what would you think the "scale" if a small nuke goes off somewhere, not even in this country and immediately Aq or some other group claims to be behind it AND that they can deliver other events of the same type if we don't comply with their demands?

Think what would be the fallout , to markets , to normal activities, who would we retaliate against, could we ever even figure out who was to blame.

Do not let the "small" pull the wool over your eyes, these are the most dangerous times ever , while of course presenting the most opportunities.

It's not even the inital damage of an attack, but the terror , 9-11 X1000000.

What about anthrax, smallpox , some crazy genetic engineering creates a killer virus, it is all out there and becomes easier and more available every year.

As to the sub-prime market , you are woefully off on that as the major cause, but to post on that doesn't fit the "line".

Do some more investigation on your own.

Check what's failing and the exposure to sub-prime of same,you will find that sub-prime was at most a trigger , but we are and have been way past that for many months.

I say again , if every sub-prime failed it would have only been a minor blip, nothing much at all.