PDA

View Full Version : What can we Debate now, recovery or regression?

pktruckdriver
11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Well the Election is over, The most expensive in history, estimated 280 million for Obama compared to 134 million for McCain, and Honestly I feel McCain could spent 500 million and still would not have won, IMO.

As of Oct. 15, the Obama-Biden campaign had received $522 million (http://herndon1.sdrdc.com/cgi-bin/cancomsrs/?_08+P80003338) in contributions, according to Federal Election Commission reports. Compare that with the $375 million (http://herndon1.sdrdc.com/cgi-bin/cancomsrs/?_08+P80002801) raised by the McCain-Palin campaign. Both campaigns combined are expected to raise more than $1 billion, and when Green, Libertarian, Independent and Constitution party candidates are included, campaign fundraising has already passed (http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/index.php) the $1 billion mark.

A billion dollars for a 400k a year job, this absurd, do I need to think what could be done with billion dollars, we can think of many ways to spend that money better.

I thought that was interseting and needed to be shown to all, it makes me sick when then can raise all this money, when hard working people like me can't raise a dime for my business, why is that? Anyone explain that one , please?

Maybe next election we can spend 2 billion dollars for a 400k a year job.

I thought we had reforms in the elections recently, guess not.

patrick

JustRalph
11-05-2008, 07:05 PM
that money went directly into the economy. They didn't throw it into a pit and burn it. They paid for millions in print advertising, TV time, Radio Time etc. they paid campaign workers etc. It fed the economy

pktruckdriver
11-05-2008, 07:14 PM
they paid campaign workers etc. It fed the economy :ThmbUp:

Guess this is Okay, but I got nothing...:ThmbDown: :mad:

Tom
11-05-2008, 07:22 PM
And HUSSEIN wants 25% of it back.

pktruckdriver
11-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I just can not get ovet this , am I the only one that this issue bothers so much, when I am thinking about it, and it seems that election reform does what?

Reforming election has very little to do with financing , naw it must, we do have limits of what we can give right, and how we can give, right, now how long must you be dead before you must stop donating, how many ways are we allowed to donate to the election fund, are there different levels of bribery, oops I mean donations, single/family/business/corporate/ lobbyist/oil/etc...where does and who watches over this, man this is alot of money

:5: :2: :2: million dollars raised for Obama...

for a job that pays what, about 400k a year

That too me is too much money, can't we get a President for 10 million only, max say 100 million, but 522 million, and who knows how much secret hidden funds were used, unthinkable, whew weeee

You know the sad point is I truly feel Obama could won this election with only 10 million dollars, thanks to 'W".

What do you think, to me it's a no brainer, and then I got to thinking , Obama should know this too, and yet he kept right on spending didn't he, when in my opinion he had to know he did not need to, heck I knew, and you probally did too, but it did not matter, he kept spending, to me that says something about him, greedy , power, hunger for both at all costs, kinda scary when though about it those terms, but you knew that, right, well I do now.

Man playing around with fonts are fun when one is bored.

patrick

highnote
11-06-2008, 10:59 PM
that money went directly into the economy. They didn't throw it into a pit and burn it. They paid for millions in print advertising, TV time, Radio Time etc. they paid campaign workers etc. It fed the economy

I worked on a couple of productions for republican TV commercials here in Connecticut. They paid me and I didn't even vote for the guy. Of course, he was a congressman not running in my district. He was a nice guy. His wife was a democrat. Must be some interesting pillow talk. :D

He lost to an incumbent -- what a surprise.

LottaKash
11-07-2008, 07:32 PM

I have a very difficult time with all of the above, as there are so many hungry children and homeless people in this nation of ours, not to mention all of the "new breed of homeless" that were spawned by the same corrupted banksters, that are now in line for a double-dip for the new handouts given by our gov't as a reward for greatly contributing to the demise of America......yeesh...It didn't feed any people.....

sadly,

Tom
11-08-2008, 10:17 AM
While I applaud Obama for starting right in the biggest challenge we face just one day after the election, he got onto 95 SOUTH instead of 95 North. His plans will only worsen the mess. He and Pelosi together will cause a depression. Wrong-way Barry is on the job.

pktruckdriver
11-09-2008, 12:27 PM
In the past, Canada's election law focused more on spending limits and expenses than contributions. Changes in 2004 saw new attention paid to who was contributing and how much. The changes in 2007 imposed more restrictions, with an aim of countering the perception that money buys influence in government.

At least Canada does something about this, why don't we do something too.

This amount of money is insane, no one around the wrold comes close this much spent of a campaign, they worry about the corruption is causes, and at least they try to stop it, though it may only be half-herarted, they do try.....

Why is that no cares about this, why is it okay?

You say that because they share with the local commmunities when they travel thru during the election, SPENDING MONEY,when the convoy's pull into town, in bus loads, SPENDING MONEY, when making ad's, ( all types ), SPENDING MONEY, when not neccessary, but then even more ,SPENDING MONEY, occurs, why they got way too much of it, so they spend it, and find ways to hide as well, as well as they got in getting the hidden funds, the not reported funds we all about, but the Congress makes no efforte to stop this, could they, of course they could, but why would they,. it benifits them.

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME CONGRESS VOTED DOWN A PAY RAISE FOR THEMSELVES, NEVER.....

Patrick

boxcar
11-09-2008, 01:02 PM
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME CONGRESS VOTED DOWN A PAY RAISE FOR THEMSELVES, NEVER.....

Patrick

Couple this excellent observation with the biblical teaching that "the love of money is the root of all evil", then for many of us it will be easy to connect the dots to see which way this country is headed.

Boxcar

highnote
11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Couple this excellent observation with the biblical teaching that "the love of money is the root of all evil", then for many of us it will be easy to connect the dots to see which way this country is headed.

Boxcar

Congressional pay is a tough one. What is the correct amount of pay?

If a congressperson is not independently wealthy they'll need a good salary to live on in D.C. It ain't cheap there, plus, they'll probably have a home in their state. Plus, what about their families -- they still have to provide support. Also, they may be giving up their regular jobs in order to work for the gov. The work in D.C. might only be temporary.

So if they aren't paid enough then only very wealthy will get elected. Or total hack will get elected then have to resort to corruption in order to make ends meet.

I don't know what the correct amount is.

boxcar
11-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Congressional pay is a tough one. What is the correct amount of pay?

If a congressperson is not independently wealthy they'll need a good salary to live on in D.C. It ain't cheap there, plus, they'll probably have a home in their state. Plus, what about their families -- they still have to provide support. Also, they may be giving up their regular jobs in order to work for the gov. The work in D.C. might only be temporary.

So if they aren't paid enough then only very wealthy will get elected. Or total hack will get elected then have to resort to corruption in order to make ends meet.

I don't know what the correct amount is.

Easy solution to this. Build barracks for all the congress critters and stick them in there. Then provide them with three hots and a cot. This kind of frugality would go a long way in discouraging these career-minded rodents from feeding off The People for an indefinite number of terms.

I said it once and I'll say it again: They're elected to serve The People not themselves.

Boxcar

HUSKER55
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Biggest problem is this concept of crime and no punishment. When our founding fathers gave us life any representative who took advantage of the public trust was label and dealt with. Today, it is just business as usual.

Until people decide to punish crimnals rigorously i don't see any improvement.

boxcar
11-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Biggest problem is this concept of crime and no punishment. When our founding fathers gave us life any representative who took advantage of the public trust was label and dealt with. Today, it is just business as usual.

Until people decide to punish crimnals rigorously i don't see any improvement.

Your comments remind me of this passage in scripture:

Eccl 8:11
11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, therefore the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.
NASB

Boxcar