PDA

View Full Version : Scratches at the Meadowlands

scgmhawk
11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Is it common for there to be so many scratches at the Meadowlands? I've never seen so many! This is the first year I decided to follow the meet (almost) daily, since I'm playing their online contest, and I don't like it. 4-6 horse fields. Does anyone have any ideas of why there are numerous scratches each day, irregardless of the weather? Maybe they should stick with Harness, which they do well?

DanG
11-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Is it common for there to be so many scratches at the Meadowlands? I've never seen so many! This is the first year I decided to follow the meet (almost) daily, since I'm playing their online contest, and I don't like it. 4-6 horse fields. Does anyone have any ideas of why there are numerous scratches each day, irregardless of the weather? Maybe they should stick with Harness, which they do well?
It’s the Bermuda triangle of the mid-Atlantic circuit.

Write a race at Philly Park and have 10 commit and by the time the Aqu, Lrl, Del, Pid, Mnr, Pen, Med, CT…yada…yada…yada condition books come out your lucky if it fills at all.

I feel good for the hurting Maryland racing circuit to get some new slot revenue; but from a player stand point this may only divide the available horse flesh even further.

Contraction is inevitable and necessary imo.

scgmhawk
11-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Yea, you're right Dan. I noticed that one of the scratches from the Meadowlands is racing at Aqueduct today.

onefast99
11-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I noticed a few horses scratched this week that were not eligible for the condition of the race. Did you notice the turf races are all filled? Why not run more turf races? Or sell the tracks to a private company that can run the facilities and the racing card the correct way.:bang:

Imriledup
11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Those horses are probably not even on the grounds. They just make that many entries because if a handicapper sees an entire card of 4 horse fields, they never buy the download and do zero work on the races. This way, you download it, handicap it and once you do, since you bothered to do the work, you might make a bet or two anyway.

Thats what happened to me on Monday. Downloaded the stuff, did the work, when the fields were short, i played anyway because i formed some sort of opinion, didn't want my work to go totally to waste.

Meadowlands has a history of doing stuff like that. Back in the day, if there was a weather situation that forced a cancelled card, they would wait an hour before announcing there was no more live racing. That way, you would wait around, bet some simo races, buy some hot chocolate and spend money. They have no reason to tell you live racing is cancelled, they don't want you to leave right away.

Oldest trick in the book.

point given
11-06-2008, 10:15 AM
the meet has been going further downhill each year, in fact they wanteedto do away with it altogether but the horsemans association wouln't give in. Its sorta like welfare i guess where some make their $$ for the year with small fields to compete in.

rrbauer
11-06-2008, 01:03 PM
There was a post bemoaning the selection of Meadowlands for last weekends PA contest track. I had no idea what the situation was because it's not a track that I follow. I know now---it sucks!

LottaKash
11-06-2008, 02:00 PM
. Did you notice the turf races are all filled? Why not run more turf races?

Too consistent for me...need more chaos and confusion and not enough scratches to boot.....hahaha

best,

onefast99
11-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Too consistent for me...need more chaos and confusion and not enough scratches to boot.....hahaha

best,
I never take the speed and it always comes back to get me.

DeanT
11-06-2008, 06:58 PM
I guess there are not too many horses to bet in the first so someone bet $3000 to win on the seven for a lark. Wow, what a card this is.