PDA

View Full Version : Broodmare prices

joanied
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Holyhorses, batman...can you beleive the prices being paid for these gals...14 million for b
Better than Honor...not even in foal...hope she gets another Belmont winner for these guys... and the other 'star' broodmares & broodmare prospects...unreal the $$ folks have to spend.

Si2see
11-04-2008, 12:50 PM
If I am not mistaken, the winning bidder already owned 70% of the mare, just bought out the 30% partner because they are dissolving all partnerships together... I am just wondering who he was bidding against?

joanied
11-04-2008, 04:02 PM
If I am not mistaken, the winning bidder already owned 70% of the mare, just bought out the 30% partner because they are dissolving all partnerships together... I am just wondering who he was bidding against?

I just read that too....about the ownership...still, a huge sum of money:faint:
In next week's BloodHorse magazine they'll have all the stories on the sale, and probably mention who they bid against...maybe someone already knows?

JustRalph
11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
This kind of money for a mare who couldn't carry her last to term............?

That would bother me big time

OTM Al
11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Nice price for Madcap Escapade at the same auction. I always wished she could have had a shot at the boys in the BC sprint. Up to about 7F she could really go.

lamboguy
11-04-2008, 05:13 PM
don't beleive everything that's on paper. i have lost $14,000 this year withdrawing horses from sales including this one for my broad brush mare.

i don't deal the same way some of these other people deal. often these prices aren't what they apear to be.

personally, when i breed horses i like the mares that have never raced and without lasix or any other steroid. i also look for stallions that raced under trainers that didn't use steroids. sometimes the steroids kick in and make a horse more muscular than he was cut out to be, and the horse winds up to be a champion. that doesn't mean that they will pass that ability on to their offspring.

joanied
11-05-2008, 11:21 AM
This kind of money for a mare who couldn't carry her last to term............?

That would bother me big time

She did carry to term until this last one...at 12-13 yrs. old, she'll be getting to that age when she may start slipping or not getting settled...but with only one foal slipped, her record is pretty good as far as carrying to term.
It would be a concern, but easily overlooked considering her produce record.
Wonder who they'll send her to this breeding season?

joanied
11-05-2008, 11:23 AM
don't beleive everything that's on paper. i have lost $14,000 this year withdrawing horses from sales including this one for my broad brush mare.

i don't deal the same way some of these other people deal. often these prices aren't what they apear to be.

personally, when i breed horses i like the mares that have never raced and without lasix or any other steroid. i also look for stallions that raced under trainers that didn't use steroids. sometimes the steroids kick in and make a horse more muscular than he was cut out to be, and the horse winds up to be a champion. that doesn't mean that they will pass that ability on to their offspring.

Sounds like you might be referring to Curlin (with the steriods). But I agree, what you look for in both a mare & stallion is right on. I'd do the same.

tribecaagent
11-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Stardom Bound sold for $5.7 million. O.K. Got it.
Her Dam, My White Corvette, sold for $825 thousand ??? It's not as if she only has a couple more seasons either. She's only 10 years old.

Here's another one I can't figure. Away, the dam of Eight Belles (CARRYING a full sister to Eight Belles) sold for $2.5 million. O.K. got that.
Mushka, who is only a grade II winner and an unproven broodmare, brings $2.4 million ???

onefast99
11-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Her Dam, My White Corvette, sold for $825 thousand ??? It's not as if she only has a couple more seasons either. She's only 10 years old.

Here's another one I can't figure. Away, the dam of Eight Belles (CARRYING a full sister to Eight Belles) sold for $2.5 million. O.K. got that.
Mushka, who is only a grade II winner and an unproven broodmare, brings $2.4 million ???
I have one in on Friday, she is grade II stakes placed please let the broadmare buyer gods shine down on us from above!

joanied
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I have one in on Friday, she is grade II stakes placed please let the broadmare buyer gods shine down on us from above!

Hey onefast...hope you hit a home run with your mare:jump:

GlenninOhio
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Stardom Bound will race - at the very least as a 3-year old next year and maybe for longer. She sold for her value as a racehorse; her broodmare value is secondary at this point and if she had been injured and retired she would never have brought this kind of money.

joanied
11-05-2008, 07:33 PM

Check out her (Mushka) pedigree...if this mare dosen't produce at least one good one, I'd be very surprised...she's by Empire Maker, so has Toussaud 2nd gen top...also on her ped...Mr.P and Seattle Slew...the mare just has a stellar pedigree....outstanding pedigree!!!
My White Corvette got a few runners...but her pedigree isn't outstanding...her sire is a nobody. Her dam is by Marfa, by Foolish Pleasure...now I am partial to that...Foolish Pleasure was an 'old friend' of mine...but that sire line isn't outstanding either...so, IMO, $825,000 is a fair enough price for her.
:)

joanied
11-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Stardom Bound will race - at the very least as a 3-year old next year and maybe for longer. She sold for her value as a racehorse; her broodmare value is secondary at this point and if she had been injured and retired she would never have brought this kind of money.

Correct...didn't think I needed to adress that (it's obvious)...but good that you pointed that out.

tribecaagent
11-05-2008, 09:10 PM

Glenn,

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not surprised with Stardom Bound's tag. In fact, I feel she's worth it (especially after Dutrow gets done with her). I am however, shocked that the hammer fell on her dam at ONLY $825k. This is a champion broodmare were talking about here.

tribecaagent
11-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Check out her (Mushka) pedigree...if this mare dosen't produce at least one good one, I'd be very surprised...she's by Empire Maker, so has Toussaud 2nd gen top...also on her ped...Mr.P and Seattle Slew...the mare just has a stellar pedigree....outstanding pedigree!!!
My White Corvette got a few runners...but her pedigree isn't outstanding...her sire is a nobody. Her dam is by Marfa, by Foolish Pleasure...now I am partial to that...Foolish Pleasure was an 'old friend' of mine...but that sire line isn't outstanding either...so, IMO, $825,000 is a fair enough price for her.
:)

Joanie,

Yes, Muska has an outstanding pedigree and yes, she SHOULD throw a few nice ones. Key word being SHOULD. She's pure speculation. Whereas My White Corvette has already proven herself in the breeding shed. If you want to tell me Stardom Bound was a fluke foal for her, o.k. I guess you can make that arguement. But when we're comparing tags, do we really think ONE Mushka is equal to THREE My White Corvette's?....

I think Bobby Flay stole her.

cj's dad
11-06-2008, 01:06 AM

Lamboguy- you obviously understand the in/outs of the auctions, Having said that, what is the real story behind the Green Monkey?, did that amount of $$$ (16Mil?) actually change hands or were there contingencies involved?

GlenninOhio
11-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Glenn,

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not surprised with Stardom Bound's tag. In fact, I feel she's worth it (especially after Dutrow gets done with her). I am however, shocked that the hammer fell on her dam at ONLY $825k. This is a champion broodmare were talking about here.

I appreciate the clarification, TA.

joanied
11-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaagent
Glenn,

OHOH...I may have missed something...did IEAH buy Stardom Bound?? Is Rick Dutrow going to train her??
If so...oh-noooooooooooo:ThmbDown:

onefast99
11-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Lots of horses going for low numbers.

tribecaagent
11-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaagent
Glenn,

OHOH...I may have missed something...did IEAH buy Stardom Bound?? Is Rick Dutrow going to train her??
If so...oh-noooooooooooo:ThmbDown:

Yes, Joanie. IEAH did purchase the filly, and yes, tricky ricky will train her. She'll win The Oaks....:)