PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Out Of Jury Duty

Burls
11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Stevens juror: I lied about dad, went to horse race

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A juror who vanished during Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens' corruption trial told the judge Monday she lied about her father dying and flew to California for a horse race.

Marian Hinnant was identified as juror No. 4 during the trial.

She disappeared while the jury was trying to decide whether Stevens was guilty on seven felony counts.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan delayed deliberations because Hinnant told officials her father had died and she had to fly to California. Sullivan replaced her a few days later when she wouldn't return telephone calls.

Hinnant admitted Monday that her father hadn't died and she was at the Breeders' Cup in Arcadia, California.

She started a long rambling story about horse breeding, the Breeders' Cup, drugs, President Ford's son Steven and her condo in Florida being bugged.
Sullivan interrupted her and said it was obvious that she would not have been able to continue deliberating.
He excused her from his court.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bigmack
11-03-2008, 02:22 PM
The best line was after the judge stated, "I am thoroughly convinced you would not have been able to continue to deliberate" she asked "Can I have a case of my own?" :)

toetoe
11-03-2008, 02:53 PM
She's in a format of her own (as am I :blush: ); maybe comma deliberated ?

lsbets
11-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Funny week - I just had to fire a guy because he lied about his brother dying and went on a week long drinking binge. I thought it was BS, but didn't want to be wrong if I called him out, so instead I asked him to tell me where the funeral would be so I could send something. After a few days of combing the obits, he couldn't find a brother, so he sent me a text with an address to send his last paycheck to. :bang:

juanepstein
11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
get your license renewed at a friends or a relatives address more than a 100 miles away from your residence or what ever the distance is requiered for that county. your friends will tell them you moved a 100 miles away.

cj's dad
11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Woman lies to judge to avoid jury duty and go to BC.

What a gal !!!

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_10887511

bigmack
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Funny week - I just had to fire a guy because he lied about his brother dying and went on a week long drinking binge. I thought it was BS, but didn't want to be wrong if I called him out, so instead I asked him to tell me where the funeral would be so I could send something. After a few days of combing the obits, he couldn't find a brother, so he sent me a text with an address to send his last paycheck to. :bang:
Years ago I had a marketing company and we hired a gentleman. First day of work he shows up in full drag complete with fishnet stockings & a vast amount of make-up. I was warned not to fire (him) because of discrimination. Throwing caution to wind, I canned him forthwith saying he was too fetching for my other employees to work productively. :rolleyes:

The Judge
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
try to cut down on the lawyers qualifying jurors thru questioning them so now the judges ask the jurors most of the questions its cleas somebody didn't ask enough or the right questions.

joanied
11-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Woman lies to judge to avoid jury duty and go to BC.

What a gal !!!

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_10887511

Hope she has a good attorney;)

Burls
11-04-2008, 12:19 AM
I canned him forthwith saying he was too fetching for my other employees to work productively. :rolleyes::lol: :lol: :lol:

Indulto
11-24-2008, 05:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=moran_paul&id=3682951 (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=moran_paul&id=3682951)
The jury is in for Breeders' Cup 25
By Paul Moran November 4, 2008… [Marian] Hinnant was a member of the jury, Juror No. 4 to be specific, that would eventually find Alaska Senator Ted Stevens guilty of an assortment of improprieties and we would probably never learned of her above-and-beyond-the-call dedication to racing had the trial been concluded more expeditiously.

… Whatever her motive, at some point, probably as testimony went in one ear and out the other while her mind drifted off to the San Gabriel Valley, Marian Hinnant began to worry that she would miss the Breeders' Cup.

… So, Hinnant is off the hook for having tricked the judge, she made it to Santa Anita, saw two great days of racing and, since the public defender is on the taxpayers' tab, avoided legal expenses, thus preserving her betting stash -- all while raising the bar for horseplayers everywhere.

While this was neither the first nor last lie told by a horseplayer it may very well be the biggest.

How many of the most fanatic devotees of racing would look a federal judge in the eye and tell such an outlandish story at the risk of being sent to jail, ponder the worst-case outcome weigh the potential cost of being charged with contempt of court and other transgressions and then do whatever it took to escape federal service and make it to the Breeders' Cup?

If not a special Eclipse Award, a testimonial from the Horse Players' Association of North America, if not a seat on the board, would be entirely apropos.

Alyblakester
11-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Well she was one dedicated racing fan! Jury duty is certainly no fun at all. If you really don't want to serve on one there are ways to get out in advance.