PDA

View Full Version : Baffert Fires Espinoza

JustRalph
03-25-2003, 12:03 AM
I read that Espinoza pissed Baffert off in Louisiana because he was wailing on Kafwein in the stretch. I saw something somewhere that said he hit the horse 32 times in the stretch. I guess Baffert is done with him.

The info below is from the DRF page:

Espinoza and Baffert split

Jockey Victor Espinoza and trainer Bob Baffert, the partnership that won the 2002 Kentucky Derby with War Emblem, have parted ways.

Espinoza was removed from the Baffert-trained Kafwain shortly after the Louisiana Derby on March 9. Relations further deteriorated over the weekend when the two appeared to have a disagreement following Espinoza's ride aboard the Baffert-trained Denied in Saturday's eighth race.

Denied was beaten 1 1/2 lengths in the allowance race over 1 1/16 miles, racing wide throughout.

At the top of the stretch, Denied was chasing the eventual winner, Total Impact, and racing alongside the Baffert-trained Tough Game, the 9-5 favorite. Gary Stevens, on Tough Game, attempted to go between Total Impact and Denied, but could not get through. Stevens switched Tough Game to the inside of Total Impact and closed some ground through the stretch, but finished a length behind Total Impact.

"We had our differences," Baffert said on Monday about Espinoza. "I didn't like the way he rode that horse the other day."

When Baffert was asked if he thought the two could resume their partnership in several months, he said, "I doubt it."

Denied is no longer trained by Baffert. He is scheduled to be transferred to Jeff Mullins. Espinoza is friends with the owners of Denied, who race as Bluefield, Inc.

Espinoza said he was stung by Baffert's criticism of his ride aboard Kafwain in the Louisiana Derby, when he finished second to Peace Rules. Kafwain, a Kentucky Derby prospect, was fifth in the early stages of that race. Baffert said that he wanted Kafwain closer to the front.

"The problem was when he started criticizing me," Espinoza said. "I don't think that's right. They can make a change. I don't have a problem with that. It's the trainer's decision."

Baffert has yet to say who will replace Espinoza on Kafwain in the Santa Anita Derby on April 5, but Patrick Valenzuela is a leading candidate.

justin
03-25-2003, 02:23 AM
I've been wondering why he keeps using Espinoza anyhow. Never saw what was so great about him to be riding Bafferts best horses. I guess winning the Derby last year probably scored a lot of brownie points, but it's not like he did anything great in that race. He took a front-runner to the front and that was that...wow!

-Justin

kenwoodall
03-25-2003, 04:51 AM
Espinoza failed to throw the race!!!

Kappa
03-26-2003, 06:48 PM
kenwoodall said
Espinoza failed to throw the race!!!

Could you elaborate??