PDA

View Full Version : New trend in the Race Calling Department

BeatTheChalk
11-02-2008, 08:40 PM
What IZZZ it with some of the track announcers : As the horses are going
into the gate....These folks tell me WHAT THE ODDS ARE !! Uhh Excuse me..
but what good is that information ? What is the point ?? Some things are
just beyond my Pay Grade.
Finally .. the announcer at Hollypark is soooooooooooooooo bad .. it hurts
my finger nails. :eek: :mad: :D

v j stauffer
11-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Gloves?

JustRalph
11-03-2008, 06:13 AM
You gotta admit the announcer at Hollywood is witty and accessible right?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lamboguy
11-03-2008, 08:16 AM
the guy announcing hollywood is my favorite announcer. he annonces some of the fair meets in california as. come to think of it the announcers we have today are very good every where.

NoCal Boy
11-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Nail clippers...

Gloves?

boomman
11-03-2008, 08:29 AM
In case a couple of you REALLY don't know, the announcer at Hollywood is Vic Stauffer. Notice a name similarity to one of the posters in this thread???????:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomer

cj's dad
11-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Opinions are like a$%&@#s (a$%&@#s), everybody has one.

I'm sure Vic has heard worse:)

In case a couple of you REALLY don't know, the announcer at Hollywood is Vic Stauffer. Notice a name similarity to one of the posters in this thread???????:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomer

onefast99
11-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I heard it for the first time the other night at the Meadowlands when Larry Collmus said "and the last to load is the favorite at 6-5".

v j stauffer
11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Nail clippers...

10 thimbles?

Living Flame
11-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Boomer

Oh, geez, shut up, man!! C'mon, seriously, don't be tellin' people! This is great!:lol:

Oh and just for the record, I find the announcer at Hollywood quite good! *bats eyelashes* :kiss: :cool:

Fingal
11-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Opinions are like a$%&@#s, everybody has one.

I'm sure Vic has heard worse:)

Vic is like Timex- takes a `lickin & keeps on `tickin

`Cmon--------- it's like singing in the shower. Everyone thinks they can do it, sound pretty good, & then when one is on stage & it's showtime, it's not as easy.

toetoe
11-03-2008, 12:40 PM
... accessible. :ThmbUp:

Peter Berry
11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
What IZZZ it with some of the track announcers : As the horses are going
into the gate....These folks tell me WHAT THE ODDS ARE !! Uhh Excuse me..
but what good is that information ? What is the point ?? Some things are
just beyond my Pay Grade.
Finally .. the announcer at Hollypark is soooooooooooooooo bad .. it hurts
my finger nails. :eek: :mad: :D

I assume your comment is tongue-in-cheek, and that you're alluding to the changes in odds after races start. If that's not the case, why display odds on the tote board or monitors at all?

I have been announcing the odds on each horse at Mountaineer as it loads for six months or so, then give a quick update on the top two or three favorites as the last horse loads.

Not everyone is able to watch a race on which they wagered - they may be listening to it on the Internet while driving, for instance - so imparting any information that keeps them up to speed should be encouraged.

johnav
11-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Actually, if the announcers were accurate, they would say. "And last to load is the favorite at 6-5, but when he crosses the wire, he will be 3-5".

Peter Berry
11-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Actually, if the announcers were accurate, they would say. "And last to load is the favorite at 6-5, but when he crosses the wire, he will be 3-5".

I'm sure that's the very reason many old-school announcers refuse to mention the odds before the start. If a horse is 6-5 when the race starts and firms to 3-5 after the break, I will usually mention it in the first half of the race. "Johnav . . now at 3-5 . . leads by two . . . "

I prefer to portray the racetrack as an information superhighway, not a mushroom field.

BUD
11-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Maybe Vic can be a bookie and take our action. Those of us who do not reside in MexaFornia...

Afternoons on the right coast have been frankly tortuous and boring w/out Holly Woods Action..

Maybe they should ship me to the Seniors Center so In dominate the fogies in Backgammon!..Ahhhhh it just ain't the same!!!!!!!!!! I want my Hollywood Back!

BombsAway Bob
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm sure that's the very reason many old-school announcers refuse to mention the odds before the start. If a horse is 6-5 when the race starts and firms to 3-5 after the break, I will usually mention it in the first half of the race. "Johnav . . now at 3-5 . . leads by two . . . "
I prefer to portray the racetrack as an information superhighway, not a mushroom field.
It took me a year or so to get the feel of Mountaineer racing, but now I look forward to your Mon/Tues. cards! Of course, with Suffolk closing early eight months of the year I am shut out thru TVG. On those days, I fire up my TwinSpires Acct. to play along.
The "exacta will-pay" graphic Mountaineer uses is very inventive, & a smart move, since you have one of the lowest takeouts in the nation on Exacta bets (19% according to DRF info).
And Peter, I love your excitement on nail-biting finishes. You occasionally let out a groan at the wire that bettors can really relate to! :bang:

DeanT
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Mountaineer dude is awesome. He must be, as half the time in a close photo I say to myself "aw, nothing in it"............ and I am not even watching MNR when I do so.

exiles
11-03-2008, 02:25 PM
V, STAUFER is a good race caller, but he could be a great race caller if he stuck to race calling only and not trying to tell us what the horse wants to do and what the jockey wants it to do.

richrosa
11-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Coincidentally, Vic and Peter, who are in on this thread are amongst my favorites. No offense to Larry Columus, but I have really missed Vic at Gulfstream, almost as much as I miss the outside dining area.

I think the odds calls, especially the way Peter does it, is very helpful.

To the original poster, what would you rather they talk about when they are loading? The election polls?

applebee
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I assume your comment is tongue-in-cheek, and that you're alluding to the changes in odds after races start. If that's not the case, why display odds on the tote board or monitors at all?

I have been announcing the odds on each horse at Mountaineer as it loads for six months or so, then give a quick update on the top two or three favorites as the last horse loads.

Not everyone is able to watch a race on which they wagered - they may be listening to it on the Internet while driving, for instance - so imparting any information that keeps them up to speed should be encouraged.

I may be wrong but I think you got the chore of calling the horse named
Polish Pianist I was on the floor laughing!:D And I could tell you were really trying to get it out right.

Norm
11-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Not everyone is able to watch a race on which they wagered - they may be listening to it on the Internet while driving, for instance - so imparting any information that keeps them up to speed should be encouraged. Now that is race calling as I really appreciate it. I'm an East coast guy, so I don't usually get to hear the calls from CA, but there's a guy, Tony Calo, who subscribes to your principles. He's calling at FL this year. From his word descriptions, I can "see" where every horse is at every point and know how he's progressing (or not). It takes a lot of talent to call a race for folks who can't see the action. It's much appreciated.

v j stauffer
11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
V, STAUFER is a good race caller, but he could be a great race caller if he stuck to race calling only and not trying to tell us what the horse wants to do and what the jockey wants it to do.

I say something like that maybe once or twice a week. When I do why is that any different than a football anoouncer talking about what the QB or coaches strategey is or what in his opinion the running back is trying to do? If a jock is see sawing with his feet in the dash board it's not really that big of a stretch to say that the horse wants to do more. Thanks for listening all input is always appreciated. VJS

boomman
11-03-2008, 06:09 PM

I'm with Peter on this one. It has always been my position as an announcer that the more info you can give the public the better. By this time everyone knows (although I would eventually like to see this change) that odds do change during a race, but unfortunately, that's just the nature of the beast. I remember in the "old days" when we had difficulty getting shoe info. Now I announce it with regularity (just like missing workouts, equipment or medication changes) and people seem to appreciate any additional info you can give them. Pete Berry does a great job, I agree with that post, too!:ThmbUp:

Boomer

DanG
11-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Arm chair and probably unpopular observation; as more and more of us are watching racing from home I’ve noticed more and more critique of announcers work.

When I was growing up at Monmouth the calls were a blur over the noise from the crowd (yes…crowd noise, remember that!) now we all have our Vic Stauffer endorsed / 5-way surround sound / Logitech speaker system…complete with sub-woofer for those “Straight and Strong” bass tones.

We miss NOTHING and often have no one to vent a tough beat to except the man who described the event.

I miss some of the old voices (love those “Broderick Crawford” type gravel tones) but race calling as an art is better then ever imo. :ThmbUp:

DeanT
11-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Vic paints a great picture in routes loike you are supposed to. I am a big fan of Peter too. That call in the second was another good one. He keeps us informed on who and what is live. I like that.

It is a tough game this race calling, but their work is both tops, imo.

happycapper
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Boomer

I think we all know who he is. He's not bad, but he's arrogant, and he is in shock when a race doesn't unfold as he thinks it should. I love it when I've got the winner turning for home by 5, and he starts telling us that we'd better start looking at so and so. In the meanwhile my horse scampers off to the win, and the horse that he tells us we should be looking at finishes 4th. This happens quite frequently.

alydar
11-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I think that Vic is one of the best. He is a definetly a top five anouncer. Peter Barry is also pretty good. He always sems to list teh top contenders and their repsective odds right beofre the race.

It seems to me that is is just his style, and is fine with me. Probably the one that seems o be the most overated in my mind is Battaglia. I have heard him screw up a number of calls.

happycapper
11-03-2008, 08:17 PM
I think that Vic is one of the best. He is a definetly a top five anouncer. Peter Barry is also pretty good. He always sems to list teh top contenders and their repsective odds right beofre the race.

It seems to me that is is just his style, and is fine with me. Probably the one that seems o be the most overated in my mind is Battaglia. I have heard him screw up a number of calls.

Battaglia overated...That's an understatement!

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I love it when I've got the winner turning for home by 5, and he starts telling us that we'd better start looking at so and so. In the meanwhile my horse scampers off to the win, and the horse that he tells us we should be looking at finishes 4th. This happens quite frequently.Quite frequently? A horse turning for home by 5, and Vic tells you that you better watch out for another horse? Really? This happens frequently? I don't buy it.

First off, horses turning for home by five doesn't happen very frequently...:lol:

sandpit
11-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Every time one of these announcer critiques pop up, it makes me laugh because they are usually centered around personal taste, as cj's dad said, not on actual ability. I've been fortunate to be in the announcer's booth with a handful of racecallers, including Vic, and I'm always amazed how adeptly they handle the weather conditions, obstacles blocking their vision (Derby week at Churchill is the worst), horrible angles due grandstand configuration (anybody that has been to KY Downs would be amazed that anybody could call races with any accuracy there), remembering and forgetting dozens of names in a few hours time, etc...

Hajck Hillstrom
11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
When I do why is that any different than a football announcer talking about what the QB or coaches strategy is or what in his opinion the running back is trying to do?I don't believe a football public address announcer would get away with that for very long. That might be the job better suited for a radio broadcaster. The race caller position is unique in that respect.

LottaKash
11-04-2008, 01:57 AM
Now that is race calling as I really appreciate it. I'm an East coast guy, so I don't usually get to hear the calls from CA, but there's a guy, Tony Calo, who subscribes to your principles. He's calling at FL this year. From his word descriptions, I can "see" where every horse is at every point and know how he's progressing (or not). It takes a lot of talent to call a race for folks who can't see the action. It's much appreciated.

Norm you nailed it for me on this........

My criteria for a great race-caller, is a person who will let you visulize every horse and his respective positon at each and every correspoding call and it's timing number, especially in the drive to the wire.....

Often times, when I am too busy doing whatever, and a race that I am interested in is being run, and I can't watch it with my eyes, that is when great race caller will bring to life, exactly what is happening in the contest and right to the line.....Sometimes I will know why and where my horse was in the race and why he won or lost......Some guys have the ability to can convey this...

best,

v j stauffer
11-04-2008, 02:09 AM
I think we all know who he is. He's not bad, but he's arrogant, and he is in shock when a race doesn't unfold as he thinks it should. I love it when I've got the winner turning for home by 5, and he starts telling us that we'd better start looking at so and so. In the meanwhile my horse scampers off to the win, and the horse that he tells us we should be looking at finishes 4th. This happens quite frequently.

No. It doesn't

v j stauffer
11-04-2008, 02:15 AM
I don't believe a football public address announcer would get away with that for very long. That might be the job better suited for a radio broadcaster. The race caller position is unique in that respect.

That's a very insightful post. Therein lies the question. In this day and age when 99% of the people that bet on a race are watching it on a TV monitor are we PA announcers or play by play guys? I think racecalling with the emergence of Tom Durkin 20 or so years ago turned toward the latter.

v j stauffer
11-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Give it a rest already. Vic doesn't need you to defend his ego. Pace, have you got half a brain in your head? Don't make me play replays on here. It will only make you look more foolish than you've made yourself look these last few weeks. Go McCain Go!

I'd love for you to post those replays. That way I can learn and improve. I hate making poor racecalls. I REALLY hate making calls you fans don't like.

PaceAdvantage
11-04-2008, 02:20 AM
I'd love for you to post those replays. That way I can learn and improve. I hate making poor racecalls. I REALLY hate making calls you fans don't like.He's not a fan, he's a ball buster who's registered multiple nicknames and been booted multiple times.

v j stauffer
11-04-2008, 02:24 AM
He's not a fan, he's a ball buster who's registered multiple nicknames and been booted multiple times.

Got it. Thanks for having my back.

Bruddah
11-04-2008, 02:48 AM
an articulate, clear and concise picture of what's happening in the race. With those as my criteria, I would would rate Vic in the top two or three calling them today. As a matter of fact, he is my favorite, because he does occasionally throw in humor. If I can't understand the call and have to ask myself, "WHAT DID HE SAY?" then I have lost the flow of the race and become annoyed. I would rather have no caller than have to keep asking myself, 'WHAT DID HE SAY?".

Keep up the fine work Vic and please don't change your style because of a "Ball Buster".

v j stauffer
11-04-2008, 02:54 AM
an articulate, clear and concise picture of what's happening in the race. With those as my criteria, I would would rate Vic in the top two or three calling them today. As a matter of fact, he is my favorite, because he does occasionally throw in humor. If I can't understand the call and have to ask myself, "WHAT DID HE SAY?" then I have lost the flow of the race and become annoyed. I would rather have no caller than have to keep asking myself, 'WHAT DID HE SAY?".

Keep up the fine work Vic and please don't change your style because of a "Ball Buster".

Thanks Bruddah. Don't figure to change much at this stage of the game. Always open to constructive input though. Still hoping to improve at each meeting.

tundral
11-04-2008, 02:56 AM
All anouncers have personal style vic your one of the best in my book. Seems like trevor has lost a few steps over the years. Also love frank M .Keep up the good work. Vic what can you say about hagerty . I went up to emerald couple of times and saw a timid kid . Who needs to get into the race a little sooner maybe 3/8 and not at 1/4 pole. He also looks weak due to weight issues. But i think he could be a diamond in the ruff.

v j stauffer
11-04-2008, 03:25 AM
All anouncers have personal style vic your one of the best in my book. Seems like trevor has lost a few steps over the years. Also love frank M .Keep up the good work. Vic what can you say about hagerty . I went up to emerald couple of times and saw a timid kid . Who needs to get into the race a little sooner maybe 3/8 and not at 1/4 pole. He also looks weak due to weight issues. But i think he could be a diamond in the ruff.

I like him. Career could go either way. Very patient for an 18 year old rider. Might get big. Hoping for the best for him.

BM1947
11-04-2008, 06:18 AM
personally i thought vic s would be offered the job at churchill
to me he is in the top 5 in the country and i have been going to racetracks for a long time
KEEP IT UP VIC

joe

lamboguy
11-04-2008, 06:32 AM
i didn't know that was you vic! i loved 2 great race calls, and they ring a bell in my head every day. on declan's moon "its a total eclipse" and "two step salsa straight and strong"

the main thing i like about your race calling is that when the horses come down the lane you can recognise the contenders that have the gas left in the tank and are ready to meet the challenges. that can only be done by guys that are veteran's of the mutual window's, which i suspect you are!

unfortunately this meet i haven't listened to any of your great calls because of this adw problem. i am watching and betting on other races this year.

JustRalph
11-04-2008, 09:47 AM
personally i thought vic s would be offered the job at churchill
to me he is in the top 5 in the country and i have been going to racetracks for a long time
KEEP IT UP VIC

joe

Vic, did you consider it? I picture you as a west coast guy, who may not want to head back east.

maryforney
11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Vic Stauffer totally ROCKS!!!

Gallop58
11-04-2008, 10:31 AM
What do you guys think of the Australian race calling? I get HPI up here in Canada and they have Oz racing almost everynight.
When they load , almost always they do a very fast very in depth odds recap, but they also throw in what the horse started at, what the odds are at various different venues, unusual odds moves etc. This info would completely overwhelm a causal fan (especially the lingo), but it seems to work. (One I recall went something like "Whoa, he's plummetted in the market in the last 2 minutes, I'm sure someone will be looking into that action closely"
Also, they seem to be able to keep a long route interesting, which I've seen as a challenge to some in NA. (Short fields don't help)

They throw in things like "He's being put up to make the pace this time, which he hasn't done since 2 or 3 races back", "He's got him positioned inside where he likes to run, but this time I don't know if he'll find the room to get clear", etc. Stuff like that with some context back to the PP's...
The guys calling seem to really jump on a race shape or development that is out of character and highlight it all the way around. "Has he left himself too much to do!?"
In general I find them to have more background on the horses in a race, but they don't overdo it, they throw out the little details without coming across like they're showing off. Just my observations...

I guess this puts me in the play by play camp. Personally, I'm a trakus fan, and if I really want to know exactly where a horse is, or to watch a horse fade back through the field, I tend to lower my eyes and watch the chicklets (sacrilege I know!)

And on a side note, they seem to evaluate and make official photos before the horses even get to a trot on the run out. We got to get us some of those cameras (or stew's)

KH

DeanT
11-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Gallop,

I agree. I watch those damn chicklets too!

Point is: As fans we do not know what the hell is going on at times, esp if we are playing four or five tracks. Saddle pads are hard to see. I dont know the colors. In harness racing I can find my horse because I know the drivers colors. I dont know what in the heck Gomez is wearing this race.

I like it when the announcer tells me "the fave is along the inside and is not doing anything" like Peter at MNR does. When a horse I can not see a saddle pad on is making a move I want the announcer to recognize that immediately and tell me. If someone is backing up I want to know exactly who it is. The world is changing and since we can bet myriad tracks at the same time we need to watch/hear the racing in a more descriptive way (imo)

I went to a wagering thingy with a group that produces graphics and they were asking questions. Y'know when they show the little box and an arrow with the horses name on it on NBC big races? They wanted to know if we thought it was a good idea. Most of the time I would like to see that. While watching so many races if the announcer cant give me a good description of where the horse is, the tv screen should. It cost $$ to do that, but I'd love to see it.

Anyway, long winded again, sorry.

BeatTheChalk
11-04-2008, 06:54 PM
:jump: :bang: I assume your comment is tongue-in-cheek, and that you're alluding to the changes in odds after races start. If that's not the case, why display odds on the tote board or monitors at all?

XX Actually ..my comment was NOT tongue in cheek. I just don't get it.
Perhaps I am slow. As for " listening to the race on the internet . .while
driving "" ?? Huh ?? :lol: :jump: :)

Now I reeeeely give up. Good nite. OOOps excuse me ..the odds on FALLING ASLEEP QUICKLY are 4 to 1. The odds on tossing and turning .. 4/5.

Peter Berry
11-04-2008, 07:47 PM
:jump: :bang:

XX Actually ..my comment was NOT tongue in cheek. I just don't get it.
Perhaps I am slow. As for " listening to the race on the internet . .while
driving "" ?? Huh ?? :lol: :jump: :)

Now I reeeeely give up. Good nite. OOOps excuse me ..the odds on FALLING ASLEEP QUICKLY are 4 to 1. The odds on tossing and turning .. 4/5.

I listen to the Australian races on the Internet while driving home most nights.

BombsAway Bob
11-05-2008, 12:34 AM
I listen to the Australian races on the Internet while driving home most nights.
As a kid, I remember listening to AM radio with my parents, as they caught the feature race at Aqu/Bel. My Grandfather had a horse, Lizzy Tish, that won out there, & hearing the stretch call on radio was COOL! Reading Harvey Pack's book, likely we were listening to race "recreations" instead of Cappy Caposella.
It seems that calling a race as though it was going to be broadcast on radio is a good idea. People often can't see the backstretch,& TV monitors get blocked; call the race as you would to a visually-impaired person.
(Heck,at Saratoga,I'm often nearly Blinded by the"Coors"Light by the 10th!)

Driver8
11-05-2008, 11:45 AM

I agree. Love your race calls, Vic. Your humor and analysis make the race a lot more entertaining. Keep up the good work!!

v j stauffer
11-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I agree. Love your race calls, Vic. Your humor and analysis make the race a lot more entertaining. Keep up the good work!!

Did you guys notice that I'm huge with newbies? 3 posts. Nothing wrong with that of course. Welcome aboard. Evidently they haven't gotten to know me yet!

VJS

BillW
11-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Did you guys notice that I'm huge with newbies? 3 posts. Nothing wrong with that of course. Welcome aboard. Evidently they haven't gotten to know me yet!

VJS

We just thought you were getting relatives to sign up. :eek:

v j stauffer
11-05-2008, 01:36 PM
We just thought you were getting relatives to sign up. :eek:

My relatives know me waaaay to well to ever say anything nice.:eek:

cj
11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Maybe it is Chris Kotulak in disguise.

JustRalph
11-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Maybe it is Chris Kotulak in disguise.
:lol: :lol:

comet52
11-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Alright I'm just gonna be Mr. Positivity here with my dozen posts :jump:

I think it's nice that guys who call the races come here and have a say. I can't bet on Hollywood now so I'm not listening to V. But I think he does a nice job. I like him better than the english fellow at Santa Anita whose name is escaping me. Speaking of english fellows I think Peter at the Mountain is very steady and likeable, a pro's pro, and the guy I've listened to longest because I kinda got introduced to racing via the Mark and Nancy broadcasts when they were free years ago. I might have developed more interest earlier if they hadn't pulled those broadcasts in the name of whatever.

Really there is only one race caller I have a problem with and it's the guy at Penn National, because he sounds like he's the most disinterested guy in the world most nights. And probably considering the graveyard he's working in, I have to give him a break on that one too.

One guy I never hear mentioned is the Finger Lakes guy, don't know his name either. I like his growling "and there they goooooo!" when they leave the gate, I think he's fun to listen to, one of my faves.

ezrabrooks
11-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Hey Vic... Let's hear you say Streetscape three times (fast)... Did it prove to be a tongue twister in today's 4th?

Ez

BlueShoe
11-13-2008, 06:20 PM
This tryout at CD and the moving around of announcers is causing a rather amusing problem;what track are you hearing?At my otb site yesterday with its poor sound system,whenever I heard Michael Wrona would look up and wonder why Golden Gate was showing x minutes to post and not running.Speaking of GG,who is the man on the mic in place of Wrona.Because SoCal rarely gives us LD,do not often hear TS,but was that him at GG,or was I mistaken?Speaking of Travis,nice piece in Wednesdays DRF about him.

mikey blanc
11-14-2008, 10:49 AM
another noob, chiming in to say Vic is awesome!!!

boomman
11-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Alright I'm just gonna be Mr. Positivity here with my dozen posts :jump:

I think it's nice that guys who call the races come here and have a say. I can't bet on Hollywood now so I'm not listening to V. But I think he does a nice job. I like him better than the english fellow at Santa Anita whose name is escaping me. Speaking of english fellows I think Peter at the Mountain is very steady and likeable, a pro's pro, and the guy I've listened to longest because I kinda got introduced to racing via the Mark and Nancy broadcasts when they were free years ago. I might have developed more interest earlier if they hadn't pulled those broadcasts in the name of whatever.

Really there is only one race caller I have a problem with and it's the guy at Penn National, because he sounds like he's the most disinterested guy in the world most nights. And probably considering the graveyard he's working in, I have to give him a break on that one too.

One guy I never hear mentioned is the Finger Lakes guy, don't know his name either. I like his growling "and there they goooooo!" when they leave the gate, I think he's fun to listen to, one of my faves.

Santa Anita announcer=Trevor Denman (South African)
Peter Berry @ Mountaineer (Australian)
Finger Lakes Announcer=Tony Calo

Boomer

thespaah
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Gloves?Hurts his finger nails?...did he just screw up a meatphor.....the one about chalkboards and fingernails?.....
Hey Vic.. How ya doin?....

thespaah
11-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Actually, if the announcers were accurate, they would say. "And last to load is the favorite at 6-5, but when he crosses the wire, he will be 3-5".in many instances the race goes off before the final bets are calculated and displayed on the tote board...where's the problem?

thespaah
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
That's a very insightful post. Therein lies the question. In this day and age when 99% of the people that bet on a race are watching it on a TV monitor are we PA announcers or play by play guys? I think racecalling with the emergence of Tom Durkin 20 or so years ago turned toward the latter.Definitely play by play...I believe it is the announcers job to describe what is occuring during the race as well as inform the customers the positions of the horses at the usual points of call. Plus, a little flair and entertainment value doesn't hurt either....Some people are impossible to please....
IMO I think some race caller critique"ers" are those who've bet on losing horses and in hearing a race caller have a little fun with that race or use their schtick sets those losing bettors off into thinking the race caller is having fun at their expense. In other words, "I lost to a 20-1 shot and the track announcer is yukking it up on the mic"....GRRRRRRR...
That's my opinion but I could be wrong.....

andicap
11-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I agree witih those who like the Durkin/Stauffer/Denman school of race-calling where the announcer does much more than just tell you who's winning, second by two lengths, third...etc. While that's a criticial part of the job, I recognize race-callers are incredibily experienced and agile in seeing as well as explaining what is actually happening in a race.

Is the pace too fast? Has a jockey tried to go up a rail hole that just closed? Will a closer have to work extra hard today to make up ground?

My biggest pet peeve is the Dave Johnson/Phil Georgette (sp?) School of Announcing in which the caller feels like he has to get in his trademark line no matter what the circumstance.

Johnson, the most overrated and -- along with Battaglia -- least enjoyable callers to listen to -- feels obliged to thunder, "And Down the Stretch They Come!!" even when it means interrupting the flow of his call in a very contentious and eventual stretch-drive.

Georgette's "And here they come spinning out of the turn" just got tiresome after hearing it every...... single...... race..

maryforney
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I grew up listening to Joe Hernandez. Now THERE was a race caller. And I still think Vic Stauffer ROCKS!

v j stauffer
11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
You guys listen to Mary. She is wise.

I do rock. Or is it I have rocks in my head?

I can never get that one straight.

VJS

BombsAway Bob
11-17-2008, 11:15 AM
You guys listen to Mary. She is wise.

I do rock. Or is it I have rocks in my head?

I can never get that one straight.

VJS
"For Those about to rock... WE SALUTE YOU!..."