PDA

View Full Version : Carbonite, are there real people at this company?

pktruckdriver
11-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Does any one use or know how to use Carbonite Back-up Service?

Would you help me out understanding it, please?

Where does the back up go, onto a disk or back up drive?

why does it always ask for disk to back up on to, i thought it was done online:confused:

Patrick

dutchboy
11-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Backup's are encrypted twice and then sent and stored on their servers. Are they asking for a disk or the drive letter you are backing up? If you could post a screen shot of the message it always helps.

Does any one use or know how to use Carbonite Back-up Service?

Would you help me out understanding it, please?

Where does the back up go, onto a disk or back up drive?

why does it always ask for disk to back up on to, i thought it was done online:confused:

Patrick

pktruckdriver
11-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I wil try to get a screen shot and post it here , if not I will write down word for word.

Thanks

dutchboy
11-02-2008, 11:20 AM
When I first read your question "are there any people at the company" reminded me of an article about McAfee's anti-virus software.

McAfee has a super computer programmed to search for viruses and modify it's antivirus programs with no people involved. If the computer cannot do it in a certain amount of time then it is escalated to a human.

Amazing what can be done.

cj
11-02-2008, 11:27 AM
When I first read your question "are there any people at the company" reminded me of an article about McAfee's anti-virus software.

McAfee has a super computer programmed to search for viruses and modify it's antivirus programs with no people involved. If the computer cannot do it in a certain amount of time then it is escalated to a human.

Amazing what can be done.

Beginning of the Matrix!?

dutchboy
11-02-2008, 01:02 PM
There was a picture of it sitting in the middle of a room. If I can find the article I will try to post a link to it.

pktruckdriver
11-02-2008, 02:19 PM
DutchBoy

I recently had a bogus charge on my card for Norton Annual Renewal, and looked it up online and found that possibly 100's of thousands had the same problem too, and I have yet to hear of one person being charged with a crime, and we all know that over half these charges are just ignored or not even noticed, as fraudulent.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/norton-annual-renewal-c56577.html

Only us poor people notice these bogus charges, well okay that may not be true, but sounded good, but I think of your comment and think they will blame a computer for this major scam, that probally made their company millions, and yet nothing about punishment of any kind can be found.

Now onto my back-up it seems that I have Windows Live One Care which has a back up serivce too, which requires a disk to be inserted and then copied, I believe that I turned it off and willl not have a problem, I hope.

But being an HSH user I just want to make sure that my Carbonite backup service is working , right , and backing up all I need to backup, so in case it freezes, crashes, or whatever could happen, that I can retrieve it , that's all.

And you state that carbonite has it stored online and that if this laptop blows up it could backup everything opn my new laptop if needed, right?

Patrick

dutchboy
11-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Norton is an annual subscription based company. When you buy and install you have the option for automatic renewal to avoid reminders when your protection expires. Doubt if there are 100's of thousands of people with fraudulent charges. If there are complaints it is probably because they signed up for automatic renewal and then "forgot" to cancel before the program is renewed.

pktruckdriver
11-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Dutchboy

On the Norton thing you are wrong, absolutely, they stole my money, I never signed up with them, I had them on a trial basis on my laptop,3 computers back, and replaced them with another Virus program within the 30 days, I know for a fact I cancelled the subscription, and then 3 1/2 years later they charge me for an Annual Renewal Subscription, and could gotten away with it if I did not look at my statement closely, as I am sure thousands out there have been duped already, and yes there are plenty of complaints about this, I showed you just a few.

Sorry to dissappoint you.

Patrick

LottaKash
11-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Dutchboy

On the Norton thing you are wrong, absolutely, they stole my money, I never signed up with them, I had them on a trial basis on my laptop,3 computers back, and replaced them with another Virus program within the 30 days, I know for a fact I cancelled the subscription, and then 3 1/2 years later they charge me for an Annual Renewal Subscription, and could gotten away with it if I did not look at my statement closely, as I am sure thousands out there have been duped already, and yes there are plenty of complaints about this, I showed you just a few.

Sorry to dissappoint you.

Patrick

Patrick, I believe that Norton is another one of those scum-bag operations....Their software(s) is barey usable and are tremendous resource hogs to boot, and I have had issues with their software as it was always trying to send, God only knows what, to an external source, in an ongoing basis......Many years ago when Norton first burst onto the scene, their software was a saving grace to many a computer person....As the years have gone by tho, they have resorted to all sorts of bogus claims, and I believe that their software will definitely do your machine more harm than good in the long run.....The same goes with the MacAfee junk as well, they are always in your face.....The computing world at large would not even miss these two major players if they departed the scene, as there are many more reliable and powerful alternatives to their crap.......

Patrick I am not surprised that they are still trying to screw you.......

best.