PDA

View Full Version : How Many Votes for a "Veto-Proof" Majority?

Overlay
11-01-2008, 11:19 PM
I've read some articles regarding the Democrats' hopes of achieving a "veto-proof" majority in Congress that seemed to suggest that a 3/5 majority (60 senators or 261 House members) would be sufficient for that purpose. I know that sixty votes are needed to block a Senate filibuster that would effectively kill a piece of legislation, but I thought that the Constitution itself still required a 2/3 majority in each house (67 in the Senate and 290 in the House, assuming all members voted) to override a presidential veto. Has there been a rules change that has somehow effectively reduced the necessary majority to 3/5? Or might the references to "veto-proof" mean the ability that a 3/5 majority would give the Democrats to shut off debate (thus overriding attempts by Republicans to kill legislation), rather than referring to an actual presidential veto?

Tom
11-01-2008, 11:48 PM
From the Constitution.......

Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States; If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law.

You made me think that this might be a site we are going to have to reference on a regular basis if Slappy gets elected. So far, he seems not understand what it means.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

phatbastard
11-02-2008, 01:17 AM
not going to happen...mcconnell won't lose kentucky