PDA

View Full Version : Photo Finish Camera Malfunction

hbeck
11-01-2008, 07:42 PM
How can they determine that this race is a dead heat if the camera malfunctions (see chart, place position)?

http://www.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesIndexAction.do?TRK=HAW&CTY=USA&DATE=20081101&RN=10

They never mentioned this on the simulcast. I am not arguing with the decision, just questioning their use of the naked eye to determine such placings.

gillenr
11-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm sure there were deadheats before the cameras were first used.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-01-2008, 10:48 PM
How can they determine that this race is a dead heat if the camera malfunctions (see chart, place position)?

http://www.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesIndexAction.do?TRK=HAW&CTY=USA&DATE=20081101&RN=10

They never mentioned this on the simulcast. I am not arguing with the decision, just questioning their use of the naked eye to determine such placings.

That was a very close finish for 2nd. I suspect they either had to award the dead heat based on it being so close and no photo available, or they had to ask the placing judges, and they themselves might not have been able to determine clearly who won, hence the dead heat. I think it had to do with the 3 horses across and so close, that one of the horses couldn't be seen in the mirror. I'm speculating, don't know the official answer. I was at HAW for the race and couldn't tell myself from watching in the stands nor on the replay who got 2nd.

hbeck
11-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I hit the pick four for a buck so I wasn't dissapointed from a gambling standpoint - just confused. Thanks for trying to explain what may have happened.

098poi
11-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I hit the pick four for a buck so I wasn't dissapointed from a gambling standpoint - just confused. Thanks for trying to explain what may have happened.

Didn't you get the e-mail? The results were changed after they found the camera was not broken. Your P4 did not win!

Just kidding.
Nice score.:ThmbUp:

Steve 'StatMan'
11-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Congrats on the Pick 4 Score HBeck!