PDA

View Full Version : Manor: A New Track on my Racing Secy Tour

stu
10-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Y'all,

I am new racing secretary at Manor Downs. It is the third spot on my racing secretary tour after Albuquerque and Arapahoe.

The great thing about Manor is the personal connection. As a University of Texas graduate, I am back to the community of my alma mater. Manor is the last track at which I was a jockey agent. Additionally, the track is within a couple of hours drive from several of my relatives including my parents.

With the rescheduled Sam Houston dates, Manor will end up with 5 weeks of unopposed racing on the Texas circuit. This presents some interesting opportunities.

All of this combined will lead to a fun winter for me.

If you are in Austin this winter, drop me a line and maybe we can tip a couple of Shiner Bocks.

Tom
10-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Congrats, Stu......good for you!:ThmbUp:

Hajck Hillstrom
10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
If you are in Austin this winter, drop me a line and maybe we can tip a couple of Shiner Bocks.What a shame. This industry could have used a few more like you.

ezrabrooks
10-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Y'all,

I am new racing secretary at Manor Downs. It is the third spot on my racing secretary tour after Albuquerque and Arapahoe.

The great thing about Manor is the personal connection. As a University of Texas graduate, I am back to the community of my alma mater. Manor is the last track at which I was a jockey agent. Additionally, the track is within a couple of hours drive from several of my relatives including my parents.

With the rescheduled Sam Houston dates, Manor will end up with 5 weeks of unopposed racing on the Texas circuit. This presents some interesting opportunities.

All of this combined will lead to a fun winter for me.

If you are in Austin this winter, drop me a line and maybe we can tip a couple of Shiner Bocks.

Manor Downs....the most mispronounced track in the nation.. Stu, hope you have a successful run there. Did Manor pick up any of Sam Houston's dates?

Ez

stu
10-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Manor Downs....the most mispronounced track in the nation.. Stu, hope you have a successful run there. Did Manor pick up any of Sam Houston's dates?

Ez

Nope, San Antonio picked up 43 of the Houston dates and ends Feb 28th.

Manor starts Feb 21st and Lone Star starts Apr 8th.

stu
10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
What a shame. This industry could have used a few more like you.

I am puzzled. You don't like Austin, my choice of beers, or my seasonal circuit of Austin, Denver, and Albuquerque?

Track Collector
10-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi Stu,

Manor (pronounced main-or?). This was another track I enjoyed visiting a few years ago. I recall they run 11-13 races a day, but only about three were for thoroughbreds. I recall the track racing surface was decidedly orange vs. usual brown/dark or sandy/light. Decent simulcast opportunities on-site too, but food choices were rather limited.

Enjoy your employment there!

Marshall Bennett
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Hope everything goes well for you Stu ... good luck !!

Hajck Hillstrom
10-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I am puzzled. You don't like Austin, my choice of beers, or my seasonal circuit of Austin, Denver, and Albuquerque?I've grown disenchanted with the industry.

With you.... I have absolutely no problem at all. Quite the contrary, as I've respected and admired your contributions to this forum.

I have vowed to become a thorn in the side of short sighted racing administrators everywhere. I have pulled my wagering and ownership interests in the game, and am determined to become one of its most outspoken critics.

Now, if I could only find a suitable avatar for my quest.....

DeanT
10-30-2008, 08:03 PM
You are welcome to join. Sounds like you'd fit :)

http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanablacklogo2.jpg

BillW
10-30-2008, 08:07 PM
You are welcome to join. Sounds like you'd fit :)

http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanablacklogo2.jpg

Feel free to craft an avatar also :)

Spectacular Sid
10-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Been there a few times for simulcasts during the winter. Saw Bill Mott there once. He was in Austin for a speaking engagement and came out to watch a simulcast. It's actually a pretty good place to hang out and bet the simos.

Good luck!

Track Phantom
10-31-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm a long time player and live in Austin now.....I'll have to make it out there to Manor sometime.