PDA

View Full Version : Alysheba Home

joanied
10-29-2008, 07:46 PM
A quote from the Old Friends newsletter:

Alysheba, the magnificent horse-of-the-year and Derby and Breeders' Cup Champion, is home. Our vet, Dr. Doug Byars, allowed me to tag along when he paid a house call to this amazing athlete just a few days before his debut on Friday afternoon at the Kentucky Horse Park. (Dr. Byars let me check his heart rate and, I know for certain, mine was beating faster than his) For the record, his was 32.) He is a gift from King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia to the American people, in general, and John Nicholson and Kathy Hopkins at the Kentucky Horse Park, in particular. It's a great home for a great horse. Those of you who have supported Old Friends since its inception in 2003 know how much Alysheba means to us. And we're very glad that he's back in the neighborhood.

:jump: :jump: :jump:

joanied
11-01-2008, 10:15 AM
This is wonderful:ThmbUp:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/47847.htm

GaryG
11-01-2008, 10:25 AM
What about Lava Man? He was supposed to be there by now but there is nothing about him on their website.

joanied
11-01-2008, 10:28 AM
What about Lava Man? He was supposed to be there by now but there is nothing about him on their website.

Yes, I seem :confused: to recall they'd decided on the Park for Lava Man...maybe he's still at the track being 'let down'??

GaryG
11-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, I seem :confused: to recall they'd decided on the Park for Lava Man...maybe he's still at the track being 'let down'??Last I heard was a "going away party" on the west coast in early October. I sent an email to KHP but it came back "mail box full". I need to go up there, haven't been since JH passed on. Kona Gold is also one of my favorites.

joanied
11-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Last I heard was a "going away party" on the west coast in early October. I sent an email to KHP but it came back "mail box full". I need to go up there, haven't been since JH passed on. Kona Gold is also one of my favorites.

Please let us know what you find out.

GaryG
11-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Please let us know what you find out.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Tom
11-01-2008, 12:11 PM
HRTV just aired a story on this.
Seems George Bush was visiting and on a tour, they came to Alysheba, and the Prince asked Bush is he knew who Alysheba was. Bush replied "Of course. Everyone knows Alysheba."

Prince was impressed and figured Sheba was loved by Americans, so the return home was underway. After two in-flight mishaps ( Sheba's plane lost an engine, had to return, then on the second attempt, lost the same engine!).
Back in his barn stateside, Van Berg came up to him, and just like he used to do, in his deep, gravely voice hollered out "Sheba!"

Sheba immediately turned to the voice, pawed at the ground and recognized his old friend.

BUD
11-01-2008, 04:39 PM
That is a great story...I have a friend on the force whom is a detective and also a Muslim.. The Guy enjoys horse racing....We spoke a bit 2-3 days ago and he brought it up.....He said, I hope in jest. That the King was hesitant ----He was afraid after the hoopla died off in years to come the horse would end up as someones diner....

I don't know how he could know this......But it did give me pause to think this is what others think of us.....Race 'em- when they are not of any use- eat 'em

The circle of life:bang:

GaryG
11-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Lava Man will not be going to KHP. There was a change of plans and he is either going to Old Friends or CERF.

maryforney
11-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Lava Man is going to Old Friends -- after his farewell party in California!

joanied
11-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Lava Man is going to Old Friends -- after his farewell party in California!

That is :ThmbUp: excellent....when is his farewell party? I get the Old Friends newsletter, so will probably be informed when LM arrives there.
Thanks for posting:)

joanied
11-04-2008, 03:49 PM
HRTV just aired a story on this.
Seems George Bush was visiting and on a tour, they came to Alysheba, and the Prince asked Bush is he knew who Alysheba was. Bush replied "Of course. Everyone knows Alysheba."

Prince was impressed and figured Sheba was loved by Americans, so the return home was underway. After two in-flight mishaps ( Sheba's plane lost an engine, had to return, then on the second attempt, lost the same engine!).
Back in his barn stateside, Van Berg came up to him, and just like he used to do, in his deep, gravely voice hollered out "Sheba!"

Sheba immediately turned to the voice, pawed at the ground and recognized his old friend.

Do you mean G Bush was in Saudi on a visit and saw Sheba there?? Very cool:cool:
I just read the Sheba story in the BH magazine, and the Shiek was very happy to send Sheba home because he felt the American's loved Alsheba, and they took great care in doing so...because of his age (24) they didn't put him in the usual quarentine, they put him at Nal Al Sheba instead...didn't say anything about his plane loosing an engine, twice, so I'm not sure about that...just that the Sheik was very concerned that Alysheba had an easy time in quarentine and that his flight was a good one.
Anyway...he arrived here in great shape and I hope the old boy lives to a very ripe old age.