PDA

View Full Version : Allen Jerkens

joanied
10-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Has anyone heard how Mr. Jerkens is doing after his heart surgery?
I hope he's doing well.

JustRalph
10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
check this blog

http://www.brooklynbackstretch.blogspot.com/

under the last pic of evening attire, he goes to visit jerkins..........check it out

from the link:
The end of the day was dominated by a visit to the Chief, Allen Jerkens, recovering from heart surgery. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen Allen Jerkens sitting in a chair; when I think of him, he’s standing in the paddock, or cruising in a golf cart, or sitting on his pony.

Unusual circumstances aside, the Chief was much himself as he ever is: he spoke of the parade of visitors he’s had, expressing how touched and surprised he’s been by how many people have come to see him, and said that he feels pretty good, while acknowledging there’s a ways to go yet. He was visibly pleased when I mentioned how many people had been inquiring about him.

We rather thought that we’d pop in and make a quick visit, so as not to disturb him, but he was eager to chat, and if I’d closed my eyes, we could have easily been on the backstretch at Saratoga. He talked about his current horses and the way they’ve run over the last week, and about his past ones, recalling races and breedings and anecdotes. He’s a huge movie buff, but I learned that he doesn’t like Psycho, and that he’s pretty much rooting for the Rays in the World Series; as he put it, next year the Yankees and the Red Sox and the Blue Jays will probably be pretty good, so this young team had better take its chance while it can. He was planning to watch the game when we left; I guess that he was disappointed when the Phillies won.

He'd watched the Breeders' Cup races and asked questions about various horses; we flipped through the program to answer his questions, one of which was how Edgar Prado did yesterday (the answer: not too well). He was especially pleased about Richard Migliore's win aboard Desert Code.

There is, of course, much to say about the Breeders’ Cup, and I’m sure that it’s being said far and wide this day, with varieties of opinions being offered, and maybe over the next couple of days I’ll weigh in. But as is so often the case (and yes, go ahead and accuse me of being provincial—guilty as charged), for me, the pleasures of the racing day lay close to home, in a day bookended by two New York racing legends. Maybe there's something to those fortune cookies after all...

Suff
10-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Has anyone heard how Mr. Jerkins is doing after his heart surgery?
I hope he's doing well.

That guy has two or three hearts, at least.

the little guy
10-29-2008, 05:34 PM
check this blog

http://www.brooklynbackstretch.blogspot.com/

under the last pic of evening attire, he goes to visit jerkins..........check it out

He's a she.

JustRalph
10-30-2008, 05:48 AM
He's a she.

oops, thanks Andy!

joanied
10-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for that blog link...great photos of EA....I sure do hope he settles in at the farm and is content and happy...if not, they may have to take him back to Belmont:) .

Great to know Mr. Jerkins is doing well...yes, he does seem to have several hearts...because the one he has is huge and made of gold!!!
In the blog she mentioned never seeing Mr. Jerkin's sitting down...and that is something I can relate to...everytime I was at his barn that man was doing something... including feeding all the horses himself. he was a wonder to behold, back in 'the day'... he truly is 'The Chief'.

point given
10-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for that blog link...great photos of EA....I sure do hope he settles in at the farm and is content and happy...if not, they may have to take him back to Belmont:) .

Great to know Mr. Jerkins is doing well...yes, he does seem to have several hearts...because the one he has is huge and made of gold!!!
In the blog she mentioned never seeing Mr. Jerkin's sitting down...and that is something I can relate to...everytime I was at his barn that man was doing something... including feeding all the horses himself. he was a wonder to behold, back in 'the day'... he truly is 'The Chief'.

I'd hazard a guess that he would be wintering in florida as usual, where he can healup in the sun quicker and visit his stable. Truly one of a kind trainer, I wish him a speedy recovery .

joanied
10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd hazard a guess that he would be wintering in florida as usual, where he can healup in the sun quicker and visit his stable. Truly one of a kind trainer, I wish him a speedy recovery .

No doubt...I'd like to winter in Florida myself:D ... winter in Wyoming sucks:ThmbDown:
Seriously, though... hope his recovery is speedy and complete.

If any of the Jerkin's family reads this forum...we all wish The Chief the very best!!

CryingForTheHorses
10-30-2008, 04:46 PM
"The Best of The Rest" enuff said....Get well soon

sonnyp
10-30-2008, 05:11 PM
duck dance, knight in armor, blessing angelica, beaukins, tunex.....all in the same shedrow. i wanted to quit college and start on the backstretch. wrote letters to three of the best at that time...jerkens the only one to reply.

spent a few days in late fall, miserable, dreary and very cold at belmont with him. now i realize how hard he tried to make my experience negative so i wouldn't quit school.

great trainer, great guy. its just a shame guys like him seem to be dinasaurs...all but extinct.