PDA

View Full Version : Maylan Studart

point given
10-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Winning jock at Big A 7th race opening day. @ $100.

http://img.terra.com.br/i/2007/10/04/609042-0543-in.jpg (http://img.terra.com.br/i/2007/10/04/609042-0543-in.jpg)

How do you grab the photo to copy ? sorry only able to link it. :blush:

point given
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
http://centraldenoticias.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/maylan.JPG

My new favorite jockey :jump: the Brzilian bomber !

jotb
10-30-2008, 08:11 AM
No doubt she's a pretty girl and probably the reason why she's getting some mounts, because she absolutely has no talent as a jockey. If she continues riding in NY this winter she will be schooled quickly. It's just amazing how some of these jockeys even get a license.

BUD
10-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I can see why the rail opened for her:D

So many innuendos.....Yes she will get as many mounts as she wants:D

É muito bela!

I think that is correct.....Being a cop these days you learn more Spanish and Portuguese street lingo.

Bruddah
10-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I have asked my young wife not to pose for these pictures. Our relationship is so "hard" to explain to people. Especially horse players. :cool: :D

point given
10-30-2008, 11:40 AM
No doubt she's a pretty girl and probably the reason why she's getting some mounts, because she absolutely has no talent as a jockey. If she continues riding in NY this winter she will be schooled quickly. It's just amazing how some of these jockeys even get a license.
Why the negative comment, what have you seen of her riding to warrant this ? I saw her save ground wait for a tight opening and shoot up the rail.

MickJ26
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Certainly very attractive. I hope she sticks around when she's riding a 35 mph horse into a 35 mph head wind when it's 35 degrees out. Brazil is going to seem very far away. I wish her luck.

CryingForTheHorses
10-30-2008, 04:55 PM

Aww give the girl a chance,She was riding here and didnt do too bad.She is gutsy and like all new bugs she has lots more to learn.Dont "Brand" her yet

onefast99
10-30-2008, 05:12 PM
A decent bug on the inner at Aqueduct will get plenty of rides. Arboleda did last year.

headhawg
10-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Interview with Maylan (http://www.femalejockeys.com/maylan.html)

juanepstein
10-30-2008, 05:35 PM
shes the one i believe that killed my late pk3 at aqua yesterday.

the super big overlay on the JUDGE TC horse that romped them on the mud.

really think thats claudiam in disguise.

toetoe
10-30-2008, 05:40 PM
EPA ! Trem BOM ! :jump:

BUD
10-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Get her a Go Daddy commercial....A couple of Magazine covers- maybe a short sit with Dave.......She can be Horse Racing's Danica Patrick.....

Sad to say looks are everything today....Women's Tennis--LPGA-Racing..

What was her name Kounacouva...The Hot Tennis Lady who could not play for Excrement.......

If I was her agent---Can't use that angle the only thing I know how to do is Arrest folks:bang:

If she is nearly remotely OK she is very Marketable.....That rail ride,,,If that was not an anomaly.....She is OK.

phatbastard
10-30-2008, 06:43 PM
'' I saw her save ground wait for a tight opening and shoot up the rail.''

that would be my plan

Yorker
10-30-2008, 07:02 PM
A decent bug on the inner at Aqueduct will get plenty of rides. Arboleda did last year.

Carol Cedeno did OK there last year until she suddenly gave up being a jockey and returned to Puerto Rico.

phatbastard
10-30-2008, 07:13 PM
i believe Carol got preggers

Marshall Bennett
10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Studart vs. Sutherland in a match race ... any horse , doesn't matter !! :)

scgmhawk
10-30-2008, 07:46 PM
I wish I was a horse at Aqueduct now :)

point given
10-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I wish I was a horse at Aqueduct now :)
You can go to the village and get whipped all you want, minus the horse of course :rolleyes:

BUD
10-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Minus the Horse- I say Studart

Podia tomar um monte de mim qualquer hora

OK If I said it wrong don't crucify me;)

Pace Cap'n
10-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Minus the Horse- I say Studart

Podia tomar um monte de mim qualquer hora

"Any hour could take a mount of me"

Me too.

pandy
10-30-2008, 11:57 PM

I think it's too soon to say that she has no talent, but you are on record. I heard this type of comment about a lot of apprentice riders, including some who are in the Hall of Fame.

JustRalph
10-31-2008, 12:01 AM

that would be my plan

rinse lather and repeat :lol: :lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
10-31-2008, 01:38 AM
PaceAdvantage.com posters are all class I tells ya! :rolleyes:

ryesteve
10-31-2008, 07:47 AM
i believe Carol got preggersYou are correct...

onefast99
10-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Carol Cedeno did OK there last year until she suddenly gave up being a jockey and returned to Puerto Rico.
Yes she is pregnant, saw her at MP in August.

jotb
10-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Aww give the girl a chance,She was riding here and didnt do too bad.She is gutsy and like all new bugs she has lots more to learn.Dont "Brand" her yet

How many did she ride for you when she was in Calder?

Joe

cj's dad
10-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Que un pedazo de azno !!

CryingForTheHorses
10-31-2008, 10:47 AM
How many did she ride for you when she was in Calder?

Joe

She didnt ride any for me,not because I didnt try,I could never get her as she was always taken..She did however gallop a few for me.

BUD
10-31-2008, 11:38 AM
"Any hour could take a mount of me"

Me too.

That is what I said:lol:

Very close to what I tried to say...Portuguese is NOT my strong point..:D

She....That was the important MISSING word....I tried.

toetoe
10-31-2008, 01:19 PM

The Lady Godiva Stakes, sponsored by YUM ? :jump: .

Carol C. is VERY cute also, as is the gal riding in Chicago, that toddlin' town.

jotb
11-01-2008, 08:05 AM
She didnt ride any for me,not because I didnt try,I could never get her as she was always taken..She did however gallop a few for me.

The girl rode from 7-19 thru 10-13 at Calder. You ran 30 horses during that period. Out of those 30 races she was in 6 of those races. So, we know for sure in 24 races she didn't have a horse to ride that you were in. The 6 races were as follows:

9-11-08 You ran Preachitpreacher (5th) and went off as the heavy favorite riding Juan Sanchez (Bug rider). She rode Finallydidit (9th) at 28-1. If you reached out for her in this race and couldn't get her, I think her agent (if she had one) made a bad mistake. The trainer she rode for in the race rode her one other time so, I can't see why she woudn't ride for you here.

9-20-08 Flight to Eden (5th) went off at 5-1 and you rode Juan Sanchez. She rode Sky Champion (4th) and went off at 5-1 as well. In this race she rode for Mike Jablow and since she rode quite a few and won for him, I guess it's possible that you couldn't get her services. On the other hand, it would make no sense to reach out for her since Juan Sanchez rode Flight to Eden the 3 previous starts with a win and two thirds. Why would you want to take him off the horse?

10-3-08 Silversandsoftime (6th) going off

at 25-1 riding Juan Sanchez. In this race she rode Rachael's Dancer (2nd) at 3-1 for Barry Rose. This is another race that wouldn't make sense for you to ride her because Sanchez previously win with the horse on 9-12-08. Why would you want to take him off this horse as well?

10-4-08 Transporter (1st) went off at 3-1 coming off a 4 month layoff. Your rider here was the journeyman Manoel Cruz. Her horse went off at 26-1 and beat one horse. Your horse had 3 published works(2 of them were best of the morning) going into the race. There is no way you wanted her to ride this "live" 2yo.

10-9-08 Echo Mountain (8th) went off at 7-1 and you rode a journeyman rider by the name of Wesley Henry Sr. She rode Cacun Cancun (9th) at 5-1 for Manuel Criollo. Your regular rider Sanchez (previously rode Echo twice) had another call in the race (previously rode that filly twice before) so it's possbile you reached out for her in this race and couldn't get her only because Sanchez was taken. Anyway, Sanchez's filly was Scr.

10-11-08 Runnin To The Bar (8th) went off at 36-1 and your rode the journeyman Leroy Nelson. She rode Lake Kerr (6th) at 62-1 for Andy Williams. This trainer has won 6 races in 2 years. You rode Gary Bain (journeyman) the previous 4 times. You probably would have rode him back but Bain has been on the shelf since Oct 4th when he eased Anne's Dancer. If you really wanted to ride the bug for this race, I would think your first choice would have been Sanchez since he was opened for the race. If you really wanted Maylan Studart for this race, I'm pretty sure she would have taken the call.

She might have helped you out in the mornings but that's about it. I think you had plenty of opportunities to put this girl on a couple of live ones if you really wanted to. You've been around a long time and do a fine job with the stock you have but let's be honest here when it comes to Maylan. She certainly was not your first choice when you wanted an apprentice.

Joe

jotb
11-01-2008, 09:15 AM
I think it's too soon to say that she has no talent, but you are on record. I heard this type of comment about a lot of apprentice riders, including some who are in the Hall of Fame.

Okay, maybe I was a little to harsh on her. I've watched many of her races and can tell you she's not learning from her mistakes and this will be a problem down the road. She's certainly not a strong agressive rider. Watch her whip switching, leg and body positioning and balance.

Many of these apprenctice rider's relocate to a place like NY and don't use the bug to their advantage. Most are not ready (lack experience) and find themselves not riding enough horses and for people that hardly win races. Before you know it, the one year is gone and it's time to go somewhere else. Hey NY is a great place to get exposed but you better have at least one or two outfits behind you before you make the move.

Hopefully this girl will be handled properly and take the necessary advice (from other successful riders) to learn from her mistakes. Some apprenctice riders don't like to take suggestions because of ego and pride. At this point in time, I think she's in the wrong place. It's better to be a big fish in a little pond. I know the colony in NY is not as strong in the winter but you still have to have the clients. Today and tomorrow she's not riding.

Joe

onefast99
11-01-2008, 06:23 PM
I used Arboleda last year and he was a good bug, I would put her on one of my horses decent bugs are hard to find.

jotb
11-02-2008, 10:34 AM
I used Arboleda last year and he was a good bug, I would put her on one of my horses decent bugs are hard to find.

You are certainly right about that. Year's ago, many apprenctice riders would ride over hundred horses before they won their 1st race. It's a bit different the last couple of decades. Today a decent apprenctice will win their 5th race before reaching their 50th mount and those wins are usually with horses that are near or on the lead. Some horses that apprentice riders win with, are so much better than the rest of the field, that you and I could probably win on them. You can't get the necessary experience if you are not exposed to all types of horses.

Most agents don't give a crap when it comes to these young inexperienced apprentice riders careers. It's all about the money! They take their books for the year and then find another apprenctice the next year. It's pretty rare to see the agent and apprentice work the next year together. That's one of the reasons why many apprentice riders don't make it after they lose their bug. The agent reaches out for another apprenctice because he knows that he won't be able to move the kid once he loses the weight allowance. Why you may ask? Because that apprentice didn't really have the talent from the get-go. Why ride this new journeyman (with only 1 year under his belt) when you can have a journeyman with many more years of experience.

Supposely, the main reason why apprentice riders services are needed is because the trainer wants to get weight off. Not true in many cases! The main reason is because the apprentice will let the horse run. If there are any physical issues with the horse (and there are tons out there) the answer is to put the bug on, whereas the journeyman (especially if he's never rode the horse before) will give a test ride. Year's ago, (and even now in some cases) trainers that wanted to steal a race (drop a couple levels in class) would put a bug on, so that another trainer might think twice before claiming that horse. I don't think it's done as much today.

Here's an idea for you. The next time you run Algeiba you can give Maylan Studart a shot. You said you would give her a shot. You have a couple of races in the book at the Meadowlands that you can still run in before the meet is over. Are you turning him back in distance?

Joe

john del riccio
11-02-2008, 01:20 PM

that would be my plan:D :D :D

onefast99
11-03-2008, 10:28 AM
You are certainly right about that. Year's ago, many apprenctice riders would ride over hundred horses before they won their 1st race. It's a bit different the last couple of decades. Today a decent apprenctice will win their 5th race before reaching their 50th mount and those wins are usually with horses that are near or on the lead. Some horses that apprentice riders win with, are so much better than the rest of the field, that you and I could probably win on them. You can't get the necessary experience if you are not exposed to all types of horses.

Most agents don't give a crap when it comes to these young inexperienced apprentice riders careers. It's all about the money! They take their books for the year and then find another apprenctice the next year. It's pretty rare to see the agent and apprentice work the next year together. That's one of the reasons why many apprentice riders don't make it after they lose their bug. The agent reaches out for another apprenctice because he knows that he won't be able to move the kid once he loses the weight allowance. Why you may ask? Because that apprentice didn't really have the talent from the get-go. Why ride this new journeyman (with only 1 year under his belt) when you can have a journeyman with many more years of experience.

Supposely, the main reason why apprentice riders services are needed is because the trainer wants to get weight off. Not true in many cases! The main reason is because the apprentice will let the horse run. If there are any physical issues with the horse (and there are tons out there) the answer is to put the bug on, whereas the journeyman (especially if he's never rode the horse before) will give a test ride. Year's ago, (and even now in some cases) trainers that wanted to steal a race (drop a couple levels in class) would put a bug on, so that another trainer might think twice before claiming that horse. I don't think it's done as much today.

Here's an idea for you. The next time you run Algeiba you can give Maylan Studart a shot. You said you would give her a shot. You have a couple of races in the book at the Meadowlands that you can still run in before the meet is over. Are you turning him back in distance?

Joe
Lezcano is on Algeiba and then he heads to GP. Maylan may go on Maddy's Lion in three weeks at Aqueduct.

cj's dad
11-05-2008, 11:59 PM
She has 4 mounts scheduled ranging from a 2/1 entry(M/LFav) in race 1 to a 12/1 - 15/1 - 30/1 in subsequent races.

cj
11-06-2008, 12:03 AM
She has 4 mounts scheduled ranging from a 2/1 entry(M/LFav) in race 1 to a 12/1 - 15/1 - 30/1 in subsequent races.

She had a nasty fall at the Big M today...haven't heard any news since.

njcurveball
11-06-2008, 12:25 AM
She was released from the hospital, and seems to be ok.

http://www.thebigm.com/racingNewsDetail.asp?newsid=8266

Apprentice jockey Maylan Studart was released from Hackensack University Medical Center after being treated for minor injuries sustained in a racing accident Wednesday afternoon at the Meadowlands.

point given
11-06-2008, 10:02 AM
joe posted

" Supposely, the main reason why apprentice riders services are needed is because the trainer wants to get weight off. Not true in many cases! The main reason is because the apprentice will let the horse run. If there are any physical issues with the horse (and there are tons out there) the answer is to put the bug on, whereas the journeyman (especially if he's never rode the horse before) will give a test ride. Year's ago, (and even now in some cases) trainers that wanted to steal a race (drop a couple levels in class) would put a bug on, so that another trainer might think twice before claiming that horse. I don't think it's done as much today. "

First career win for Jacquelin Davis on wednesday wiring a turf race for Everrett; robbie davis' daughter. $131

BUD
11-06-2008, 01:02 PM
WoodWinner!!:lol:

She is a walking innuendo.

jotb
11-07-2008, 06:22 AM
joe posted

" Supposely, the main reason why apprentice riders services are needed is because the trainer wants to get weight off. Not true in many cases! The main reason is because the apprentice will let the horse run. If there are any physical issues with the horse (and there are tons out there) the answer is to put the bug on, whereas the journeyman (especially if he's never rode the horse before) will give a test ride. Year's ago, (and even now in some cases) trainers that wanted to steal a race (drop a couple levels in class) would put a bug on, so that another trainer might think twice before claiming that horse. I don't think it's done as much today. "

First career win for Jacquelin Davis on wednesday wiring a turf race for Everrett; robbie davis' daughter. $131

Perfect example here. Going into the race, Everett had previously rode 4 different journeyman riders and each of the performances were dull. Put the "bug" on and Blue Hill Bay wins wire to wire on the turf. I've done business with Scotty and win races for him in the past so, this is really no surprise to me. He's a very crafty trainer and makes due with the stock he has, which is not much. After the race, he was on the phone with me looking for a spot at CT with one of his other horses. He's 12-34 35% at CT.

Joe

peakpros
11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Lezcano is on Algeiba and then he heads to GP. Maylan may go on Maddy's Lion in three weeks at Aqueduct.

bravo listed now...with lezcano going to one of the favorites....

onefast99
11-08-2008, 09:59 AM
bravo listed now...with lezcano going to one of the favorites....
No one was beating chuckies horse tonight he looked good.

Imriledup
11-08-2008, 10:08 AM

That's not true. Jockeys with no talent don't win. She's won, she's won in NY and she's won on big priced horses meaning she isnt' riding horses who are contenders on paper. Is she the next Julie Krone? The odds are highly probable that she's not......but, to say she has 'no talent' is just not correct.

There are dozens and maybe even hundreds of jockeys in America who can't win on almost anything. Jocks who can't even 'sit' on a horse properly...THOSE are the jocks with no talent.

Does she have a big advantage being cute? Of course, that's the way the world works, but she has some talent too...its just not fair that she is being held to a higher standard because of her looks. Treat her fair and judge her by her riding.

JustRalph
11-08-2008, 02:29 PM
I just watched her ride a perfect stalking trip on a 5-1 shot in Aqu's 5th..........

She ran right by two other journeymen who decided to play speed duel in front of her.

I haven't followed her, but she looked like she knew what she was doing in this one.......... :ThmbUp:

jotb
11-09-2008, 01:58 PM
That's not true. Jockeys with no talent don't win. She's won, she's won in NY and she's won on big priced horses meaning she isnt' riding horses who are contenders on paper. Is she the next Julie Krone? The odds are highly probable that she's not......but, to say she has 'no talent' is just not correct.

There are dozens and maybe even hundreds of jockeys in America who can't win on almost anything. Jocks who can't even 'sit' on a horse properly...THOSE are the jocks with no talent.

Does she have a big advantage being cute? Of course, that's the way the world works, but she has some talent too...its just not fair that she is being held to a higher standard because of her looks. Treat her fair and judge her by her riding.

I guess you are right and I'm wrong. What the hell do I know about jockeys? I've only been watching race rider's for about 35 years and I'm still wet behind the ears. I'll try to be more careful with my comments in the future. I didn't know it takes some talent to bring in longshots espcially when they are not contenders. I wonder if horses take a look at the odds when they are in the post parade and then decide if they have a shot to win. Lastly, did you figure out why she clipped heels at the Meadowlands this week or was that just an unfortunate event. I guess she just had a tough break with Hedge Fund the other day going into the turn. It was the 7th race at Aqu. Take a peak at the race. I guess the horse blew that race but it was the jock that got that horse to finish 2nd. Man, the owner must of been pissed off at that horse after the race and not the jock. Lastly, it must be really easy to look at the winning races she wins and just forget about the horses that should have won on. Can't blame a jock that has some talent when the horse makes the mistake. Shame on you Hedge Fund for blowing the turn. How many wins so far in NY and NJ for Maylan? I think 3 and for Randi Persaud. Randi seems to love her riding ability. He must know she has talent. Don't forget Randi had a long career as an outstanding jockey. I guess Maylan Studart is heading in the right direction.

ryesteve
11-09-2008, 10:37 PM
stuff
What exactly was the point of all that? You yourself already said you were being too harsh when you said she had "no talent"... and now you're arguing with someone who didn't see you retract that original comment? So does this mean you've backpedalled off your backpedal?

Imriledup
11-10-2008, 01:14 AM
I guess you are right and I'm wrong. What the hell do I know about jockeys? I've only been watching race rider's for about 35 years and I'm still wet behind the ears. I'll try to be more careful with my comments in the future. I didn't know it takes some talent to bring in longshots espcially when they are not contenders. I wonder if horses take a look at the odds when they are in the post parade and then decide if they have a shot to win. Lastly, did you figure out why she clipped heels at the Meadowlands this week or was that just an unfortunate event. I guess she just had a tough break with Hedge Fund the other day going into the turn. It was the 7th race at Aqu. Take a peak at the race. I guess the horse blew that race but it was the jock that got that horse to finish 2nd. Man, the owner must of been pissed off at that horse after the race and not the jock. Lastly, it must be really easy to look at the winning races she wins and just forget about the horses that should have won on. Can't blame a jock that has some talent when the horse makes the mistake. Shame on you Hedge Fund for blowing the turn. How many wins so far in NY and NJ for Maylan? I think 3 and for Randi Persaud. Randi seems to love her riding ability. He must know she has talent. Don't forget Randi had a long career as an outstanding jockey. I guess Maylan Studart is heading in the right direction.

So, you are saying she had to be perfect in every ride in order to have a modicum of talent above zero? Even the best of them make plenty of mistakes. She's young and inexperienced so she will make plenty of mistakes. You are confusing the difference between talent and experience. Every jockey who has ever rode has made a million mistakes in their first 100-200 lifetime rides. She'll get better with experience, there is a difference between no talent and being polished. She's not polished at all but that doesn't mean she has no talent. The talent is there, she just needs a few hundred rides to figure things out.....just like every jock in history has needed.

jotb
11-11-2008, 06:59 AM
So, you are saying she had to be perfect in every ride in order to have a modicum of talent above zero? Even the best of them make plenty of mistakes. She's young and inexperienced so she will make plenty of mistakes. You are confusing the difference between talent and experience. Every jockey who has ever rode has made a million mistakes in their first 100-200 lifetime rides. She'll get better with experience, there is a difference between no talent and being polished. She's not polished at all but that doesn't mean she has no talent. The talent is there, she just needs a few hundred rides to figure things out.....just like every jock in history has needed.

No, I don't believe she or any other rider has to be perfect to have talent. Jockeys make mistakes all the time and that's why many get taken off horses. The key is to learn from your mistakes. This sport is different from other sports. In baseball you can't just be alright or decent to get to the major leagues. You need to have the necessary natural talent. It's a gift. In horse racing you can become a jockey and succeed to a point without talent. You can get around it by having excellent work ethics,determination, personality, making weight, and contacts. Why do you think so many apprentice riders don't go very far? It's because they never had the talent from the start. According to you, Maylan has the talent but just lacks the experience and only needs to ride a few hundred races to figure this out. Only time will tell.

the little guy
11-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Of the two women riders at Aqueduct right now, I'll take my chances that Jackie Davis has the better career, and JOTB, while maybe a little harsh ( I know harsh ), is probably being a little more objective than some here. Maylan Studart has done some decent things, and done some less decent things, but has also gotten more than her expected share of live mounts ( I would credit her agent as much, if not more, than her ). She won with a big priced horse opening day with a daring ride....the same ride didn't serve her quite as well with a couple of horses later. But, she's learning, and maybe she'll do OK. However, even with her perfect trip winning ride Saturday ( I bet the horse ), I don't think it's a stretch to say she didn't look stellar on the horse, and it was a better example of the fact that horses win races and not riders.

Personally, I like how Jackie Davis sits on a horse, and I think her riding style will suit the inner better, and if her business picks up over the winter, she could have a respectable meet. Either way, it mixes things up to have some reasonably capable young women riders around, and hopefully both will help keep things interesting.

Just because you think Maylan Studart is attractive doesn't mean she's a better rider than she is.

Imriledup
11-11-2008, 09:37 AM
No, I don't believe she or any other rider has to be perfect to have talent. Jockeys make mistakes all the time and that's why many get taken off horses. The key is to learn from your mistakes. This sport is different from other sports. In baseball you can't just be alright or decent to get to the major leagues. You need to have the necessary natural talent. It's a gift. In horse racing you can become a jockey and succeed to a point without talent. You can get around it by having excellent work ethics,determination, personality, making weight, and contacts. Why do you think so many apprentice riders don't go very far? It's because they never had the talent from the start. According to you, Maylan has the talent but just lacks the experience and only needs to ride a few hundred races to figure this out. Only time will tell.

I didn't mean to imply that Maylan has 'the talent' to go to the next level and be a successful journeyman. I just wanted to say that she has SOME talent. I guess we won't know exactly how much talent she has for a couple years. A lot of it has to do with her desire to work hard and get a little lucky and not get injured. Most, if not all jocks, ride at points in their careers while injured. When you see a really good jock in a slump it might be because he or she is riding with an injury and they just cover it up and don't tell anyone. Jocks as freelancers don't have time to rest and heal, they just tape it up and go. Maylan had a spill the other night.........she rode a nice race at M1 on Monday and just missed on a big longshot, so i'm glad to see her back in the saddle. There are a lot of jocks who try and fail and the odds are that she won't make it to be a successful professional just because of a numbers game. You really have to have a burning desire to want to be part of this hard and physically demanding game and none of us know what burns inside these jockeys. Some have it and some do not.

jotb
11-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Of the two women riders at Aqueduct right now, I'll take my chances that Jackie Davis has the better career, and JOTB, while maybe a little harsh ( I know harsh ), is probably being a little more objective than some here. Maylan Studart has done some decent things, and done some less decent things, but has also gotten more than her expected share of live mounts ( I would credit her agent as much, if not more, than her ). She won with a big priced horse opening day with a daring ride....the same ride didn't serve her quite as well with a couple of horses later. But, she's learning, and maybe she'll do OK. However, even with her perfect trip winning ride Saturday ( I bet the horse ), I don't think it's a stretch to say she didn't look stellar on the horse, and it was a better example of the fact that horses win races and not riders.

Personally, I like how Jackie Davis sits on a horse, and I think her riding style will suit the inner better, and if her business picks up over the winter, she could have a respectable meet. Either way, it mixes things up to have some reasonably capable young women riders around, and hopefully both will help keep things interesting.

Just because you think Maylan Studart is attractive doesn't mean she's a better rider than she is.

I think "daring ride" is a good way to put. She got away with that one. It's okay to take shots like that but the other jocks will put a stop to that and when they do, she will be caught in a bad position. The most important thing out there (on the track) is to ride safe. It's ok to be daring but dangerous is not good. You don't get respect from the other jockeys when you ride dangerous and they will school her quickly. The night she went down at the Meadowlands should not have taken place. She hit that horse right handed into the turn and the horse veered out and she lost control clipping heels. Maylan has ridden a couple of "live" horses that she should of won on already but didn't because of her riding. I hope her agent is able to get those mounts back. I don't know too many trainers and owners that excuse the jock for messing up especially when their horse was ready to win.

Joe

judd
11-12-2008, 06:14 AM
pretty good. pretty,pretty, good :)

JustRalph
11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
21% for the meet as of today

13 3 3

9% for the year............. I guess time will only tell..........

I know the numbers aren't everything...........but I say we close this thread for six months and come back to it?

only time will tell............

Cangamble
11-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Has to be on a dirt track, because we want lots of mud.

llegend39
11-15-2008, 08:04 AM

As of 11/15 at AQU 20 sts 4w 3 pl 2 sh 20% and 10% overall out of 150 mounts I think pretty respectable.

jotb
11-16-2008, 09:11 AM
As of 11/15 at AQU 20 sts 4w 3 pl 2 sh 20% and 10% overall out of 150 mounts I think pretty respectable.

Take away trainer Randi Persaud and the stats through 11/16 would be 15 starts 1 win, 2pl, 2sh 5% for wins and 33% ITM. Overall she's rode 153 with 14 wins, 18pl, 12sh 9% for win and 29% ITM. Out of those 153 starts she's rode for about 66 trainers. From the 66 trainers there are 3 trainers she's won for (Randi Persaud, Michael Jablow, and Barry Rose) that account for 9 out of those 14 wins. Barry Rose is stabled at Calder, Michael Jablow has about a handful of horses in NY right now (was in Florida) and Randi Persaud has no more than 20 horses in NY. She's going to need more than Randi Persaud who's only won 18 races this year and Jablow 9 wins this year to make it in NY. Her agent (which still has a chance to make this work) has to get her into a major outfit otherwise these respectable stats will be shortlived. The next month or so will be a crucial time for her. There are several other apprentice riders at Aqu right now (Morales, Santiago, Cruz, Branch and Davis) and you might see another bug come to NY very soon. The first 3 bugs mentioned are riding for some good trainers and those are the trainers that Studart and her agent must get to quickly.

Joe

Premier Turf Club
11-16-2008, 01:35 PM
That was a very good ride Studart gave the winner of the 3rd at AQU today. I'm not saying off that one race she's the next Cordero but she had the horse in good position throughout, came wide without drifting out (like a lot of weak bugs do) and finsished strongly while maintaining a straight course down the lane.

No, I didn't bet her, the horse she was on was lengths too slow going in and was stepping up from restricted 15k into an open 60k (though it wasn't as steep as it looked because her horse was in against straight threes). I'd bet Studart if liked the horse she was on without hesitation. JMHO.

BUD
11-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Rumor has it that she shall be on FNC-The Fox and Friends Show on Monday Morning----Not sure what segment----

BetHorses!
11-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Its true, Monday morning show.

Imriledup
11-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Its true, Monday morning show.

http://maylan007.spaces.live.com/

jotb
12-01-2008, 06:18 AM
This is really becoming a joke! How much exposure does this girl need? It's bad enough she's splattered all over the net and now Fox News invites her on the show. The only thing she should be doing this morning is breezing horses and then head down 95 to Philly Park to ride on a dark day.

BUD
12-01-2008, 06:58 AM
being a big nascar fan--open wheel too---danica made a big splash--and she is not very good--the lpga touts their good lookers---hell every news cast must include a good looking female---it used to be weathermen-now its the weather diva-----
its just the way it is-----unfortunately not many 5ft men are classified as sex symbols------so market the girl---big deal----is it really a bad thing that horse racing will be showing off a good looking jockey----

some neutral or positive press wont be a bad thing----her danger zone along with the danica's of the sports world is believing the hype-----that kills.

DaylightDies
12-01-2008, 09:13 AM
This is really becoming a joke! How much exposure does this girl need? It's bad enough she's splattered all over the net and now Fox News invites her on the show. The only thing she should be doing this morning is breezing horses and then head down 95 to Philly Park to ride on a dark day.

If she presents herself well, presents the sport well, I see no problem with it. Sure, she might look good in a bikini- if that is ALL she is good for, then it might be a problem. I like her excitement when saying she is going to be on TV- she will do well-

ryesteve
12-01-2008, 10:15 AM
This is really becoming a joke! How much exposure does this girl need?You make her sound like she's getting Britney Spears type exposure. Ask 100 people on the street who "Maylan Studart" is, and I'd be shocked if 2 gave you the right answer. And isn't it nice for once to see racing get mainstream coverage that isn't negative?

JustRalph
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
she raves on the website about "loving fox news"

that will endear her to half the country!! :lol: :lol:

point given
12-01-2008, 10:54 AM
she raves on the website about "loving fox news"

that will endear her to half the country!! :lol: :lol:

I'm now off the bandwagon :(

Bubba X
12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Actually, about 46.5%.

ryesteve
12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
... and the weird thing is that she mentions that she loves Alan Colmes (among others), but doesn't mention Hannity...

Stillriledup
02-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Maylan is the Danica Patrick of horse racing.

Well, except for one thing.

No one's heard of her. The racing industry is making sure she stays as anonymous as possible.

JustRalph
02-26-2011, 02:07 AM
What's up with this chick? I like a horse in the 6th on Feb 26th, but her onboard has me wondering about how she will ride it out?

The horse has tons of early pace over the rest of the field..... I see her numbers have tanked ...............

Anybody shed some light on the subject ?

pandy
02-26-2011, 06:37 AM
I handicap Aqueduct every day for my service and a famous NY tip sheet (Lawton) and I rarely pick her because she doesn't get many live horses to ride. I hit her on a nice longshot last year; if she gets on a horse I like and the price is right I'll bet her.

Grits
02-26-2011, 07:32 AM
A three year old thread speaking of a beautiful girl with a fantastic body who hasn't a great deal of talent on a horse (being kind)--she didn't have it three years ago when the thread was started, she still doesn't have it today, three years later.

But, she's pretty. And again. THAT BODY!!! So, consequently we won't rip her a new one like we've done to old "he ain't worth a damn anymore" Terry Wallace. Wouldn't dare.:faint:

When the talent is no longer there, or when the talent never existed. It doesn't matter whether one is 76 or 26. Some things, guys, particularly equal treatment and all, which women strive for today, are simply common sense.
Ain't got it, time to go.:lol:

She's so far behind Rosie N. it'd take a search light to find her.

(Edit: for spelling)

FenceBored
02-26-2011, 08:32 AM
A three year old thread speaking of a beautiful girl with a fantastic body who hasn't a great deal of talent on a horse (being kind)--she didn't have it three years ago when the thread was started, she still doesn't have it today, three years later.

But, she's pretty. And again. THAT BODY!!! So, consequently we won't rip her a new one like we've done to old "he ain't worth a damn anymore" Terry Wallace. Wouldn't dare.:faint:

When the talent is no longer there, or when the talent never existed. It doesn't matter whether one is 76 or 26. Some things, guys, particularly equal treatment and all, which women strive for today, are simply common sense.
Ain't got it, time to go.:lol:

She's so far behind Rosie N. it'd take a search light to find her.

(Edit: for spelling)

Are you saying that you think Rosie looks like Wallace sounds, but rides like Studart looks? :confused:

Grits
02-26-2011, 09:02 AM
No Fence, I am, though, noting what a good rider Rosie is. She gets better each year.

lamboguy
02-26-2011, 09:33 AM
rosie is as good a rider as there is out there today. she is very capable of giving the big guys good races on older classic horses. its quite evident that she studies every race before she gets on the horse. she deserves big time mounts simply for the work she puts in and her ability to carry out her plan on the track.

JustRalph
02-26-2011, 05:01 PM
If Terry Wallace can get into this outfit and sit on that Carousel horse long enough for a picture........... he gets my vote!!

http://img.terra.com.br/i/2007/10/04/609042-0543-in.jpg

Stillriledup
02-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Are you saying that you think Rosie looks like Wallace sounds, but rides like Studart looks? :confused:

:lol:

poy material

Kelso
02-26-2011, 10:43 PM
she doesn't get many live horses to ride.

I got her live horse to ride ... RIGHT HEAH! :lol:

And Grits ... when Maylan is Wallace's age, we won't cut her any slack, either. (Sooner even!) Happy?

CryingForTheHorses
02-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I got her live horse to ride ... RIGHT HEAH! :lol:

And Grits ... when Maylan is Wallace's age, we won't cut her any slack, either. (Sooner even!) Happy?

Figures you would say some sexist comment..I think its very ignorant this post of yours.I bet you even sexual harrass the woman at work.Be careful of your comments as they may backfire on you some day.Kudos to this young lady for trying her heart out to do what she loves.Comments like yours belong in a garbage can.

Grits
02-27-2011, 10:10 AM

Happy? Honestly, don't really care, "we".

Too, McShell has a good point about your lowstyle remark.

Along with the fact, she could point at your "mount", laugh, and say, "you actually think I'm gonna bother with that?" :lol:

Kelso
02-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Figures you would say some sexist comment..I think its very ignorant this post of yours.OK, McS, I'm impressed that you're sooooo politically correct. What a wonderful person you must be ... or at least consider yourself to be.

But I'm not the one who told her to pose near bare-assed on that carosel, or wherever else she's posed. She did it for her own commercial reasons and invited whatever comments would follow. (Yes, padre, it was only a comment. I meant it in fun and don't really give two damns if you didn't like it. Go find an owner to gouge.)

And Grits, honey, now that was just cold ... lettin' out my secrets 'n all. :blush: ( :kiss: )

cj
02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
OK, McS, I'm impressed that you're sooooo politically correct. What a wonderful person you must be ... or at least consider yourself to be.

But I'm not the one who told her to pose near bare-assed on that carosel, or wherever else she's posed. She did it for her own commercial reasons and invited whatever comments would follow. (Yes, padre, it was only a comment. I meant it in fun and don't really give two damns if you didn't like it. Go find an owner to gouge.)

And Grits, honey, now that was just cold ... lettin' out my secrets 'n all. :blush: ( :kiss: )

I was going to delete your initial post, but I said screw it, let it stand. Why not let him show his colors? Then, you post the "she was asking for it" defense. All I can say is I was right with my initial reaction.

Grits
02-28-2011, 12:08 AM

Kelso, when making a comment such as the one I stated to you, there's always some reading involved beforehand. I use pretty good judgement this way. I'll take the time to go back to find the posts I thought were uncalled for, or detrimental.

If you continue to denigrate women, while posting here, or anywhere I'm a part of, I'll throw you under the bus every time you open your mouth--I'll be as cold as you could ever encounter.

Your comment about this young woman and your comments below about Chantal Sutherland were not warranted in any way. You're on a public messageboard that is frequented by male and female posters. It shouldn't have to be called to your attention that you're not sitting in a dive somewhere oggling pole dancers, making remarks you feel, "they deserve or have brought upon themselves."

You took a two year hiatus from 2008, coming back last Spring. If all you care to be involved in is page after page of arguing, namecalling, and throwing out your filth about women--you may want to consider some more time away. I'm sure you're a really nice man, but one who, unfortunately, on occasion can fly real stupid. Please understand that to women this kind of thing is not funny.
It appears your posts have drawn attention before. I ask that you give what I'm saying some thought.

Posted by Kelso on 12-17-2010, Racing Czar thread.
What must we get Chantal Sutherland to do for you that will encourage you to accept the position?

Chantal Sutherland shall report to my throne immediately. (I'll show ya some silks, baby.)

Posted by Cj in response to one of Kelso's posts on 12-26-10
MESSAGE REMOVED

This was totally inappropriate. If I see any more of this I will recommend you be removed

CJ

Kelso
02-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Kelso, when making a comment such as the one I stated to you, there's always some reading involved beforehand.

No offense intended. Humor is, as beauty, subjective. (But if one chooses to read a sports-oriented message board, one's sensitivities are perhaps best left at the keyboard. Otherwise, the "Ignore" button is always an option.)

Grits
03-01-2011, 07:56 AM
No offense intended. Humor is, as beauty, subjective. (But if one chooses to read a sports-oriented message board, one's sensitivities are perhaps best left at the keyboard. Otherwise, the "Ignore" button is always an option.)

Going forward, Kelso, hopefully, I won't have need of the the ignore button. Its an extremely rare necessity.

castaway01
03-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Studart got set down for 30 days, so everyone's fantasies will have to go elsewhere for a month.

Stillriledup
03-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Studart got set down for 30 days, so everyone's fantasies will have to go elsewhere for a month.

Congratulations.

cj
03-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I wonder who will pick up those four mounts for the month.

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Studart got set down for 30 days, so everyone's fantasies will have to go elsewhere for a month.Details? I don't recall her being DQ'd lately...this seems like an unusually harsh penalty, although I can't say I'm surprised.

Any trainer that uses her always leaves me scratching my head as to why...

I remember her taking a sharp right turn in mid-stretch last year on the Belmont turf course, an incredibly reckless and stupid move (although she did win the race...go figure)...

She hasn't shown any marked improvement as a rider in her two or three years on the NYRA circuit, which is something else that surprises me...

JustRalph
03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Details? I don't recall her being DQ'd lately...this seems like an unusually harsh penalty, although I can't say I'm surprised.

http://www.drf.com/news/aqueduct-maiden-lifts-mclaughlin-teams-spirits

see the last entry

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks.

“Although I know I was wrong, 30 days is absolutely absurd,” Studart said. “I deserve seven days. They’re always harsh on me. Even the trainers say, ‘Man, they got something against you.’ It’s like they’re always picking on me. I see infractions everyday in my races. It’s not fair. They should be consistent.”When asked, Studart replied that she plans to spend her 30 day vacation starting work on her first self-help book, tentatively titled How to not get on the bad side of important people. :lol:

Something tells me the 30 days covers a lot more than this one incident...she's been riding dangerously for what seems like forever...

Tom
03-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Why did the stewards let her get away with it so long?
Seems it is partly THEIR fault for now doing their jobs.
If I were her, I would get a lawyer.
And a coat.

Stillriledup
03-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Why did the stewards let her get away with it so long?
Seems it is partly THEIR fault for now doing their jobs.
If I were her, I would get a lawyer.
And a coat.

If you looked like her you might not want a coat!

FenceBored
03-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Which is the heralded rider?
a) 4 for 95 current meet (http://www.drf.com/news/aqueduct-maiden-lifts-mclaughlin-teams-spirits)
b) 4 for 73 current meet (http://www.drf.com/news/sutherland-intends-ride-full-time-santa-anita)

Which of these is a lightly regarded jock on a major circuit and which is a high profile jock on a major circuit?

Note: Yes, the one is actually a bigger deal than the other, but the current meet stats just kind of jumped out at me as not as massively dissimilar as one might expect.

PaceAdvantage
03-18-2011, 10:41 AM
In this instance, the stats don't tell the story. All you have to do is watch them in the saddle, for one race, and you will instantly know who is the vastly superior jockey...

Tom
03-18-2011, 10:47 AM
How do they compare in bikinis? :p

Kelso
03-18-2011, 11:37 PM
If you looked like her you might not want a coat!

I type NNNUTTZZZING! :rolleyes:

Zaf
03-19-2011, 12:33 AM

Don't have one of Chantal , Anybody ? :)

JustRalph
03-19-2011, 12:49 AM
http://www.chantalsutherlandjockey.com/

http://www.chantalsutherlandjockey.com/images/topimage/gallery.png

JustRalph
03-19-2011, 01:31 AM
DW1IUU1rgsk

Zaf
03-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Nice JR :)

Z

GeTydOn
04-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Day & Night

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/820/676/maylan2_display_image.jpghttp://img.terra.com.br/i/2007/10/04/609042-0543-in.jpg

nijinski
04-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Just Ralph , thanks for the video of Chantal , i thought she represented the
sport with a good deal of personal passion and we really need to see more of that .

Producer
05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Another 10-day suspension handed down to her for careless riding!

That's 47 days already this year and it's not even June yet. This girl needs to learn how to ride a horse without endangering everybody else around her or she is going to kill somebody or herself.:ThmbDown:

pandy
05-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Young riders are under a lot more scrutiny from the judges than the veterans, especially woman.

Producer
05-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Young riders are under a lot more scrutiny from the judges than the veterans, especially woman.

Yea. :rolleyes:

I'm not buying that at all. She is a poor rider. Its as simple as that. If she wasn't a good looking girl she would of been off the nyra circuit a long time ago. That's if she even got any mounts to begin with.

PaceAdvantage
05-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Another 10-day suspension handed down to her for careless riding!

That's 47 days already this year and it's not even June yet. This girl needs to learn how to ride a horse without endangering everybody else around her or she is going to kill somebody or herself.:ThmbDown:No doubt. I still can't shake the image of her taking a near 90 degree turn last year in mid-stretch on the Belmont turf on her way to a rare victory (almost taking out Ramon Dominguez along the way). Don't hold me to the Dominguez part, it might have been another jockey, but the point remains.

jotb
05-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Yea. :rolleyes:

I'm not buying that at all. She is a poor rider. Its as simple as that. If she wasn't a good looking girl she would of been off the nyra circuit a long time ago. That's if she even got any mounts to begin with.

I said this back in 2008...

the little guy
05-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Eric and I covered that race, and incident, on Trips&Traps. The pan is shown as well as the head-on in the stretch. We taped yesterday ( Thursday ) morning and had no idea that any action was being taken.

Here's the link if anyone is interested. It is the third and final race we cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQEfh41f_zo&list=PLB9CC22B19E6EB24C

Stillriledup
05-13-2011, 07:43 PM
No doubt. I still can't shake the image of her taking a near 90 degree turn last year in mid-stretch on the Belmont turf on her way to a rare victory (almost taking out Ramon Dominguez along the way). Don't hold me to the Dominguez part, it might have been another jockey, but the point remains.

No doubt. I still can't shake the image of her sitting on that Merry Go Round in the bikini.

menifee
05-13-2011, 11:17 PM
There was no dq, no objection. The horse paid $114 to win.

I've watched this race and while she did come in on the horse, I didn't think it was that bad. I think there is some hypersensitivity here.

Marshall Bennett
05-14-2011, 06:58 AM
She talked with Matt Carothers on 58 flat yesterday. She seems like a very sweet girl.

trackrat59
05-14-2011, 07:20 AM
No doubt. I still can't shake the image of her taking a near 90 degree turn last year in mid-stretch on the Belmont turf on her way to a rare victory (almost taking out Ramon Dominguez along the way). Don't hold me to the Dominguez part, it might have been another jockey, but the point remains.

I can't shake that memory either. She killed my tickets. I thought for sure she would come down. After the race did you see the camera on her and the trainer as he questioned her move, pointed back out to the track where it happened while she had a clueless look on her face?

I don't bet NY tracks that much but when I do, if she's in a race I just skip the race.

I've never watched such a careless jock ride a horse. Bug or no bug.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I think there is some hypersensitivity here.Probably for good reason...

BetHorses!
05-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I did not think it was that bad either. Plus it looks like Karakorum was on the wrong lead?

Robert Goren
03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
From the facebook page "GO MAYLAN GO" posted on Feb 20

FROM MAYLAN :
" A lot of you have noticed I haven't been riding for a couple of weeks. On February 2nd a horse bolted with me at Belmont's training track and I got a concussion. I didn't break anything but I wasn't right and went to the hospital the same day and now I am out with a neck injury and concussion. I have been resting for the last 2 weeks with ups and downs daily and should be able to return to work possibly in another 2 weeks, according to my neurologist. I have no idea when I will come back, if in one week or two or more. I will ride again when I am 100% and I hope that is soon!!! Sorry I didn't let you guys know but c'mon, I had a concussion!! Lol!!! Xoxo!! "

Stillriledup
12-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Maylan!

Nice fist pump after the wire!

2nd time lasix.

jk3521
12-07-2013, 04:31 PM
:jump: Old Bob G.Dunham gets his Xmas gift early, a little late in the year ,though. His one allowed win per year :jump:

Stillriledup
12-07-2013, 04:39 PM
:jump: Old Bob G.Dunham gets his Xmas gift early, a little late in the year ,though. His one allowed win per year :jump:

I know how he feels (getting 1 winner per year!) :D