PDA

View Full Version : pro ride and future breeding handicapping

point given
10-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Am I the only one who didnot expect to see an Elusive Quality go 1 1/4 ? While I like EQ breds in general, he was a miler to me and I couldnot get myself to bet on Ravens in the BC Classic due to this, although I knew he was an inshape horse.(horses which I normally include in my horizontal bets). Does anyone have a take on this now ? Should one now have a new category Q = quickener G = grinder, etc. :confused: for proride and poly in general ? I'm perplexed.

Norm
10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
The new artificial racing rewards the European canter/sprint racing style. My experimental theory of the moment is that stamina declines in value and training rises in value. A sprinter or miler can go longer if he only needs to run hard for two furlongs. It's not even a question of "rating" a horse as we know it here. Our horses have to be trained to canter for a mile and race for a quarter-mile. Breeding for stamina is not going to help, the task is in the trainers hands to teach the horse to do something un-natural. It's like teaching a trotter to go at racing speed while still trotting. It's un-natural, but it can be taught.