PDA

View Full Version : The Moutaineer Bridge Jumper Thread

Tom Barrister
10-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Apparently, somebody has taken to Mountaineer and its minimum $2.20 payout lately. This is the fourth bridge-jump show bet I've seen in the past month.

Somebody bet 39,000 of a total of about 42,000 on #3 in the first race, which had four scratches. I made the obligatory $2 bet on the most logical other horse (#1). #3 won easily and paid $2.20 to show, as did my horse, which finished second. #2 came third and paid $2.40 (net pool, apparently).

whyhorseofcourse
10-28-2008, 07:31 PM
I have seen more bridge jumpers at mountianeer then any other track.
I have also seen a hand full run out of the money there.
Suffolk downs has the same 2.20 rule (state law) and they are very smart about there show wagering. Not allowing it if there is a going to be a near lock.

Imriledup
10-28-2008, 09:18 PM
mountainman i have a question.

Why was the bridgejump horse in the 6th race not disqualified? She bore in and knocked the jockey off the 3 horse. Did i see that correctly or was i dreaming?

SMOO
10-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Anyone have a list of all 2.20 minimum show tracks? Thanks!

lamboguy
10-29-2008, 09:18 AM
bridgejump horses are only good if your horse has a less than 10% to run out of the money based on a $2.20. betting the ones that pay $2.10 are twice as tough.

while this is probably the best way to bet horses these days due to you knowing what your risk rewards are before the race starts. you still have to be real good as there is no room for error at all.

unfortunately i have to compare bridgejumping to all other forms of parimutuel wagering. due to the bets coming in after the horses leave the gate it places the horse bettor at worse disadvantages than just a normal take out.

i would love to offer racetracks and additonal 5% on what i bet if they close and secure the wagering pools 30 seconds before the race breaks. to this day i have not seen any participants.

Imriledup
10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
bridgejump horses are only good if your horse has a less than 10% to run out of the money based on a $2.20. betting the ones that pay $2.10 are twice as tough.

while this is probably the best way to bet horses these days due to you knowing what your risk rewards are before the race starts. you still have to be real good as there is no room for error at all.

unfortunately i have to compare bridgejumping to all other forms of parimutuel wagering. due to the bets coming in after the horses leave the gate it places the horse bettor at worse disadvantages than just a normal take out.

i would love to offer racetracks and additonal 5% on what i bet if they close and secure the wagering pools 30 seconds before the race breaks. to this day i have not seen any participants.

I've noticed that the people who make these bets are really careless as to their checks and balances lists. So many horses don't qualify under EVERY rule you need them to qualify for to become a good/sure bet.

ranchwest
10-29-2008, 12:08 PM

While closing wagering 30 seconds before the race would reduce the possibility of past posting, it would do nothing to protect the handicapper from other people's wagers. A bet at the final tick is still made at the final tick, thus hidden from the person analysing whether to make a wager.

lamboguy
10-29-2008, 12:41 PM
let them pick it, if they can pick better than me they deserve the money, i can pick better than anyone after the race begins.

turfnsport
10-29-2008, 01:03 PM

Why was the bridgejump horse in the 6th race not disqualified? She bore in and knocked the jockey off the 3 horse. Did i see that correctly or was i dreaming?

You were not dreaming...I had the #5 to win so let's say Imriledup about the no-call.

The stewards did not have the balls to DQ the 2/5 chalk.

cj
10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
You were not dreaming...I had the #5 to win so let's say Imriledup about the no-call.

The stewards did not have the balls to DQ the 2/5 chalk.

They have done it before.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30367

turfnsport
10-29-2008, 01:22 PM
They have done it before.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30367

My theory for last night is they had the monitors tuned into Dancing With the Stars.

Its the only plausible explantion I could come up with.

Onion Monster
10-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I thought for sure they'd take down that favorite after watching the head-on. The 3 was a firster with some good works that got some play (I believe she was the third betting choice), Polka time essentially knocked out half of her competition in the first three seconds of the race.

I was pissed not only because I bet the 5 Silent Tiff (thought she'd improve back on dirt and the favorite had finished second at low odds before) but because the Mountain screwed me out of a nice maiden win a few months ago when a firster broke awkwardly (I'm still not sure if it was entirely her fault) and went on to win easily. That winner was DQd for much less interference at the start.

But when it's Parker for Shanyfelt, the rider would need to be carrying a mace to get taken down.

Bobzilla
10-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Does anyone know if it's one person making these bridge jumper wagers at Mountaineer or if there are several? If this guy lost $39,000 on Monday night he'd have to make the same bet ten more times successfully just to get his money back. I guess I just don't understand how anyone in their right freakin mind could make a wager like this; this is horse racing, anything can happen from your horse getting wiped out at the break and losing its rider to a catastrophe during the race.

$39,000 to make $3,900 ??? Has anyone here ever made a wager like this before? Have you ever known someone who does make these kind of wagers? How would you describe their personalities or better yet their general outlook on life?

I don't usually look at Mountaineer but I did notice in today's moring line there are some sticks and odds on horses. Perhaps I'll take a look, can't think of any better way to celebrate Holloween.

Tom Barrister
10-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Anyone have a list of all 2.20 minimum show tracks? Thanks!

The only two states that I know of are Massachusetts and West Virginia.

I wondered about that at the time, too. After watching the replay a few times on TwinSpires, I came to the conclusion that #3 missed the break and was already a length behind #4 when the latter moved in, and the horse, a first starter, simply panicked and bolted. The other explanation is "Doug Shanyfelt".

Jeff P
10-31-2008, 08:34 PM
They're at it again tonight.... MNR 10-31-2008 R4

http://www.JCapper.com/images/mnr10312008r4.jpg

http://www.JCapper.com/images/mnr10312008r4_results.jpg

-jp

phatbastard
10-31-2008, 10:19 PM
they better dial down those slot machines tonight

whyhorseofcourse
10-31-2008, 10:47 PM
I was at the track for that race.
I seen the show pool and bet $100 to show on the 5 and $50 to show on the 7. :bang::bang:

DeanT
11-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I have heard a couple larger players talking about taking advantage of the 10%. Looks like maybe others are trying it too.

barn32
11-01-2008, 12:22 AM
They're at it again tonight.... MNR 10-31-2008 R4

http://www.JCapper.com/images/mnr10312008r4.jpg

http://www.JCapper.com/images/mnr10312008r4_results.jpg

-jp
Was that a seven horse race? If yes, then you bet $14 and got back $11.40 with a shot at over a $100. Not bad.

Imriledup
01-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Does anyone know, besides Mountaineer, what tracks offer the 2.20 show price?

Thanks

The Bit
01-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Am I reading that right? $269000?? That is impressive.

lamboguy
01-25-2009, 05:06 AM
magdalia doro, (i know the spelling is wrong) ran in oaklawn park about 5 years ago and was in a 5 horse field paying 2.20 to show. if i remember right that horse had $3 million show on him. of course the other horses were loaded up too with the hedge going on. that was after azeri had over $1 million on her the same day in the apple blossom.

the guy that owned the track after that day went to the arkansas state house to try to get the minimum payoff slashed and they wouldn't do it.

new york racing paid 2.20 in the 1960's before they changed. i knew people that made money back then with that payoff. 2.10 is impossible to win, you have lots of people pumping away at them though.

Bobzilla
01-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know, besides Mountaineer, what tracks offer the 2.20 show price?

Thanks

Besides the other West Virginia track, "The Chuck", I believe Suffolk has a $2.20 minimum show payout as well.