PDA

View Full Version : Good Thing The Breeders Cup Was Not At Belmont

samyn on the green
10-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Breeders Cup day at Belmont started out okay but by the 5th race the winds must have kicked up to 50 kts. It was cold, windy and it was raining vertically. It would have been a horrible day to sit in that grandstand. The only race I watched from my usual perch in the grandstand was my namesakes romp in the Knickerbocker. Good thing the big races were in California.

That being said Belmont is a great place to watch the Breeders Cup while it is out of town. The customer service office was kind enough to reserve a few personal workstation seats for me. When the new united tote terminals came on line four years ago people complained, but these things work great as a personal monitor. Instead of listening to nagging at home or standing at some urine drenched OTB and I had a my own personal monitor/wagering terminal right at my personal workstation. Nice way to watch the races and I was able to wager right up to the last second with no delay or issue. I pounded out bet after bet with clarity of mind in total comfort. I had sound and the choice of the ESPN or live feed along with every other track running in the USA.

MickJ26
10-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Breeders Cup day at Belmont started out okay but by the 5th race the winds must have kicked up to 50 kts. It was cold, windy and it was raining vertically. It would have been a horrible day to sit in that grandstand. The only race I watched from my usual perch in the grandstand was my namesakes romp in the Knickerbocker. Good thing the big races were in California.

That being said Belmont is a great place to watch the Breeders Cup while it is out of town. The customer service office was kind enough to reserve a few personal workstation seats for me. When the new united tote terminals came on line four years ago people complained, but these things work great as a personal monitor. Instead of listening to nagging at home or standing at some urine drenched OTB and I had a my own personal monitor/wagering terminal right at my personal workstation. Nice way to watch the races and I was able to wager right up to the last second with no delay or issue. I pounded out bet after bet with clarity of mind in total comfort. I had sound and the choice of the ESPN or live feed along with every other track running in the USA.

You're absolutely right. It pains me to say this, but, it's highly unlikely we'll ever see another Breeders Cup at Belmont again simply because of weather issues. Santa Anita can guarantee something no other major circuit in North American can offer and that's fast and firm conditions.

weegee
10-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Sunday at Belmont was as beautiful a fall day as you could wish for. It would have been a great day for the Breeders' Cup. Just because it was chilly and overcast on Saturday doesn't mean the Breeders' Cup shouldn't come back to Belmont.

The Hawk
10-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Sunday at Belmont was as beautiful a fall day as you could wish for. It would have been a great day for the Breeders' Cup. Just because it was chilly and overcast on Saturday doesn't mean the Breeders' Cup shouldn't come back to Belmont.

You could say the same thing for Monmouth and what happened last year.