PDA

View Full Version : So, How'd Trevor do this year

delayjf
10-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I recall that Tevor Denman was roundly criticized last year for his Breeders Cup race calls. So, how do you think he did this year? Personally, I though he did a great job. What say you.

toetoe
10-27-2008, 02:40 PM
No offense intended, but he was mediocre.

The hyperbole was expected, but the premature ejaculations over the moves of Daytona and Curlin were headscratchingly, here-comes-a-trainwreck, head-in-hands sad. :(

cj
10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
He seemed fine to me, though I few times I think he guessed wrong on the severity of the pace.

DanG
10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Agreed Delay; Outstanding! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Identified the eventual winner very early in most which really helps someone new to the sport.

oddsmaven
10-27-2008, 03:01 PM
He's not my favorite but he had a good day...and my wife, a representative of the casual fan, said he was good...I got that from her early in the day & not after six hours of "action" when she was at wit's end. :)

delayjf
10-27-2008, 03:02 PM
but the premature ejaculations over the moves of Daytona and Curlin were headscratchingly
If that's how you saw it fine, no offense taken. But I would have to say Curlin looked like he was going to take charge of the race entering the stretch, didn't turn out that way, but at that point in the race, I felt Trevor’s enthusiasm was warranted.

freehouse2002
10-27-2008, 03:07 PM
He also said that he made a huge move and asked if he could keep it going, so it's not like if he called him the winner. Admittedly though, as others have posted, it did indeed look as if Curlin was going to romp. Trevor's still my fave although I know he has fallen off.

freehouse2002

Grits
10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I thought he did a fine job. And this is a man far more accustomed, as we know, to much smaller fields. He was ready, completely on top of his game this year.

Tom
10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
I just cannot follow a race he calls.
I don't like his style at all, and his accent is not the problem.
But that's me...I don't like Durkin, either. :cool:

cj
10-27-2008, 03:32 PM

I really miss that Keeneland announcer before Becker debuted in 1997.

DanG
10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Careful what you wish for Tom; Mike Battaglia is available. :eek:

SMOO
10-27-2008, 03:38 PM
He did great as usual despite those awful saddlecloths. :ThmbUp:

How are we ever going to teach newbies horse math (1=red, 2 =white, etc.)?

:mad:

samyn on the green
10-27-2008, 04:05 PM
After two disastrous BC's he did a complete 180 degree turn. Someone must of taken him aside and told him that he was a complete embarrassment in 06-07. He must must have prepped like Durkin and remembered silks because the calls were much better. He did a great job out there, he was scintillating.

toetoe
10-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Again, no offense. It's just that the move by Curlin, described as "How unbelievable is THIS, ?" or something to that effect, was just that --- a move, and a premature move at that.

TDen also called some horses "coming" from behind that never arrived in the superduper. That's his favorite ploy, but the difference these days is that many of them never arrive. :)

The Hawk
10-27-2008, 06:03 PM
He seemed fine to me, though I few times I think he guessed wrong on the severity of the pace.

Agreed, he was very Durkin-esque in that regard.

PaceAdvantage
10-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think he made any major mistakes, although he did say that Soldier of Fortune finished third, when it was clearly obvious that he did not....

His calls seem to get lost on me for whatever reason. Durkin's calls always seemed like they were PART of the race. A distinct and vital part of the race.

Denman's calls simply seem like background noise, if I am to be honest. I don't know if it's the tone of his voice that seems to get lost or mired or whatever, or they don't have the volume up enough on the mix....

foregoforever
10-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I thought he did a pretty good job. I find his calls repetitious, using the same phrases over and over, which is why he's less suited to "big race days", IMO. But he's a good race caller, technically.

One of the things he does very well is going through the field on the backstretch. He's generally clear on who's on the rail, who's out wide, etc., and often notes the color of the silks or the cap. This is very helpful when all the horses have the same color saddlecloths.

The problem was that ESPN would never stay on the full field long enough for him to get through them all. They kept switching to a tight shot on the leaders. I doubt that the director even listens to the call.

098poi
10-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I love Trevor and I think he did a great job. Curlin's loss stung a little more the way Trevor was so enthused as he made his move. You could tell he wanted to keep building his call to a Curlin climax but it was not to be.

levinmpa
10-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I have been critical of Trevor on this board on more than one occasion in the past. He badly miscalled the 06 Juvenile, calling Circular Quay like he would be an easy winner while completely missing Street Sense's huge run up the rail. He also called the wrong horse all the way down the stretch in this year's Sunshine Millions Classic. That being said, I thought he was outstanding on both days of this year Breeders' Cup. There were some very bunched up fields turning for home, and he didn't miss a beat.

Tom
10-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Careful what you wish for Tom; Mike Battaglia is available. :eek:He sounds like Judge Harry Stone. :D

peakpros
10-27-2008, 11:00 PM
I thought he did did a fine job....

Marshall Bennett
10-27-2008, 11:11 PM
He did a fine job , compared to his last two calls of the BC . Anyone would have . :p

Bruddah
10-28-2008, 03:17 AM

The accent and style are big problems for me. I just mute the sound and watch the race. Can not stand his calls because they distract from the race as it's unfolding. I find myself subconciously asking, "What the Hell did he just say". Also, the Awaaay they Goe, just get's on my last nerve. :ThmbDown:

Imriledup
10-28-2008, 06:28 AM
He flubbed a few easy names and he called way too many 'winners' that didn't end up winning. Too much voice infliction for horses that didn't end up winning, but other than that, he was fine. I'll give him a C+.

FenceBored
10-29-2008, 10:19 AM
I was on the move Saturday, and listened to the HRRN coverage. As the horses moved into the stretch the crowd noise grew, Trevor's voice got faster and the pitch got higher, blending with the crowd noise. There were at least a couple of races, including the Classic, where my wife and I couldn't tell who won. We had to wait for the HRRN announcers to come back on and tell us. A caller should remember that they are speaking not only to those who can see the race, but also to those who, for whatever reason, can't. Either that, or Santa Anita needs to spring for some sound insulation around the race caller.

Fingal
10-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Careful what you wish for Tom; Mike Battaglia is available. :eek:

Too bad the BC wasn't around when Harry Henson or Joe Hernandez were still in the booth. It would have been:cool:

BeatTheChalk
10-30-2008, 11:28 PM
I recall that Tevor Denman was roundly criticized last year for his Breeders Cup race calls. So, how do you think he did this year? Personally, I though he did a great job. What say you.

I will leave you with this. When Curlin was making a strong move around
the Far Turn....Trevor finally Jumped the Shark .. with ....

" Now Curlin begins his run around the far turn on the outside...just look at Curlin go as he passes horses ....look at him go ........................"

Any other words would simply be wasted band width. :bang: :eek: :bang:

Imriledup
10-30-2008, 11:41 PM
I will leave you with this. When Curlin was making a strong move around
the Far Turn....Trevor finally Jumped the Shark .. with ....

" Now Curlin begins his run around the far turn on the outside...just look at Curlin go as he passes horses ....look at him go ........................"

Any other words would simply be wasted band width. :bang: :eek: :bang:

That was a horrendous call. He just was calling the toteboard. He didn't realize Curlin was badly overbet at 4-5.

ryesteve
10-31-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm no fan of Denman, but come on, it WAS a big move. What racecaller would've instead said, "And here comes Curlin with a DISASTROUS PREMATURE MOVE!!!"

toetoe
10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Oh, I don't know --- maybe something like,

"... and now Curlin begins to advance menacingly, but he's very wide ..."

or

"... now Albarado really asks Curlin for his best, but is it too much too soon ?"

delayjf
10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
That was a horrendous call. He just was calling the toteboard. He didn't realize Curlin was badly overbet at 4-5.
He was calling the move of a horse who was the defending BC champ and HOR, and was attempt to repeat both of those honors. I've heard race callers remark about a horse being the favorite or a longshot, but I've never heard a race caller comment that a horse was overbet.
now Albarado really asks Curlin for his best, but is it too much too soon
I believe he did comment that he was wide, but since when is making your move entering the stretch "too much too soon"?

juanepstein
10-31-2008, 06:30 PM
every racecaller in the U.S. would of gave a curlin a big call swinging for home. come on its curlin people are expecting the big call. if he does win big then you have a super call to remember.

The Hawk
10-31-2008, 09:33 PM
How about just calling the race, and let the emotion in your voice tell the story? I guess that's a lost art. Everyone has to put their mark on the race, even when, such as in this case, they make a fool of themselves doing it.

ezrabrooks
10-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Why doesn't Denman give splits? On the ESPN feed on Friday they didn't show them either, so it was a mystery. Always has been a sore spot with me with Denman..but, I could get them off the track feed...so really no big deal (until Friday).

Ez