PDA

View Full Version : HANA Goes to the Breeders Cup

DeanT
10-27-2008, 12:43 PM
A neat story from a HANA VP about his BC visit from a horseplayers perspective.

HANA members should have listened to Theresia I guess. This one didn't. I bet Go Between.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2008/10/my-mother-frequently-told-me-if-you.html

highnote
10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
HANA members should have listened to Theresia I guess.

I will never make that mistake again! Theresia was the most prepared horseplayer I have ever seen. To say I was impressed with her handicapping skills would be an understatement.

LottaKash
10-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Thx John, nicely related perceptions and actions of your 3-day sojourn...Well done...:jump:..more please.

best,

DeanT
10-27-2008, 10:43 PM
So Theres, what's the deal? Did you hit any others? How long did it take you to handicap both cards? JS said you were prepared.

Was it fun with Dr Z and Quinn? Had you met them before?

Nice to see, regardless and it sounds like you had a great day. Members would not mind hearing your thoughts here if we can get you out of the woodwork :)

For the record, I stayed on the couch and lost my shirt. And lately my shirt has been a ripped mess to begin with :)

miesque
10-28-2008, 09:32 AM
So Theres, what's the deal? Did you hit any others? How long did it take you to handicap both cards? JS said you were prepared.

Was it fun with Dr Z and Quinn? Had you met them before?

Nice to see, regardless and it sounds like you had a great day. Members would not mind hearing your thoughts here if we can get you out of the woodwork :)

For the record, I stayed on the couch and lost my shirt. And lately my shirt has been a ripped mess to begin with :)

I am actually about halfway done typing up a comprensive review of my Breeders Cup trip and will probably finish it up within the next few days. In short, I had a great time (which isn't too surprising since the best time I have ever had in more in the 12 BCs I have attended was the 2003 BC) but I thought the ticket price was just obscene and it was even worse because I bought two years worth of obscenely overpriced tickets. I love the Breeders Cup, its my favorite time of the year so I will pay the nosebleed prices but doing so does detract from the experience because I am not someone who likes to be taken advantage of. There are some other items such as food on the Saturday which could have been better and I anticipate will be improved upon next year since that is one of the benefits of having BC two years in a row at one site.

I had a few other winners as well as several exactas and a few trifectas, however none of them were the "chunky" payoffs that I have become accustumed to on BC day so in the end I was only up around $200 instead of a few thousand (yes, I realize that is a horrible attitude to have but I am used to making much more money on BC day). For example, I hit the exacta in the Classic which paid a whopping $159.50 for a buck, far less then I expected considering it was a 13/1 over a 19/1 shot I was more prepared then many but not as prepared as I usually am, primarily because there were so many more Breeders Cup races then usual and I had a much busier week then I had anticipated and found myself rushed putting together my wagers whereas usually I have them all typed up the day before and its simply a matter of executing them and as a result there were two or three wagers that I would have done differently if I had more time so I am not very happy with myself because I have no excuse for not hitting the tri and super in both the Turf and F&M Turf. For example, I really thought based on how I saw her coming into the race that Sealy Hill was going to run a big race so I threw her into exacta, tri and supers along with Visit, Wait A While and Halfway To Heaven and somehow just totally forgot about including Forever Together on my tickets. Needless to say as soon as they cross the wire I felt rather ill.:bang: