PDA

View Full Version : How would you change the BC?

alhattab
10-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Now that it's over, what would you change? My two cents:

In my view the two day expansion is a good thing, but the BC tried to make the added day a big event before people were ready for it. Why would you try to expand the event into two big days when the one day event seemed to suffer from weak demand (51,000 at Belmont isn't exactly a big crowd, and the BC had to really try to get that many people there).

So first I would keep the two days, but as CJ suggested make the Friday the day for BC-sponsored novelties like the Marathon, Juvy grass races, F&M sprint, Turf Sprint. Having the Distaff on Friday was really a disservice to the fans. Maybe the capstone to the day is the Main Track Mile, particularly when run around one turn. I'm a pretty avid fan and bettor and can pretty much call my own shots and work, and I barely made it to the track for the last few BC races (watched one through the window of a bar at the Port Authority Bus Terminal). They really shouldn't have a big event during a weekday. Can you think of any other sport that does? Golf immediately comes to mind. None others.

Second, I would reduce the purses for the novelty races. Do the juvy grass races really merit $1 million? Make them $500k. Also the F&M sprint purse of $1 million is too high. Make it $500k to give the top filly sprinters more incentive to take on males. I would take say $1.5 to $2.0 million in purse savings and consider using it to expand the BC "win and you're in" days, which brings me to my final point.

Third, make the "win and you're in" program more meaningful. Most of us recognize the gimmickery around this slogan, but if you think of the days as "qualifiers" it makes more sense. I would have them year round so you can include the premier winter meets. Essentially the traveling BC show is these mini BC days held throughout the country. Branded with the BC brand, it increases awareness in the local markets of the big day. I think they have done a good job with this so far, and interest and I believe numbers at the tracks demonstrate this (I didn't research). Better coordination of these days would essentially give rise to the "main event" each weekend that we all look forward to and focus on. We have some of these events already established (Triple Crown obviously and also days like Foster Day at CD, Saratoga Opening Weekend, Calder Summit of Speed, Haskell Day at Mth, Travers, Arlington Million, even Delaware Handicap).

Other thoughts I didn't tackle- venue (none seem perfect) including rotation of venues or one venue, "small" venues, etc,; timing (i.e., day vs. night), time of year. Interested in thoughts. Maybe PA can package and sent to Avioli.

magwell
10-26-2008, 10:37 AM
It should stay At S.A. The weather and chance to see best horses from all over the world. This was as good as it gets, imo......:)

Hajck Hillstrom
10-26-2008, 11:42 AM
It should stay At S.A. The weather and chance to see best horses from all over the world. This was as good as it gets, imoAn interesting argument, and one I certainly agree with, although the rotation between Churchill, Belmont, and SA has some merit. I do see the Euros enticed by the surfaces at SA. (With the size of the crowds in attendance, these days, you could probably consider a boutique weekend at Del Mar and Keeneland as well.) I've often imagined what a Breeder's Cup weekend would be like at Saratoga with the tapestry of the fall foliage as a backdrop, albeit sans a Main track Euro contingent.

Wickel
10-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Although the "rotation" of sites idea is a credible one, I'm inclined to make Churchill the permanent host site. The pomp and pageantry at CD is unrivaled in this country, the weather is decent and the site is more centrally located, especially for the Euro invasion. In addition, the turf course can offer a variety of conditions during the fall, which, I think, is more equitable to all involved. The rock-hard turf courses on the West Coast are grossly unfair to foreign competition.

cj
10-26-2008, 12:37 PM
The rock-hard turf courses on the West Coast are grossly unfair to foreign competition.

You cannot be serious with this comment.

beertapper
10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Ever see those NFL films? The ones that look like documentaries and have huge production costs? It almost looks like they do them for 1-2 games a week. Amazing stuff. I'm not a huge football fan, but they portray each game as epic battles...and it gets my attention when its on tv.

The BC marketing dept should be getting a similar thing caught on film every year. Show it on ESPN or wherever...leading up to the BC next year.

DJofSD
10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Can you think of any other sport that does? Golf immediately comes to mind. None others.

NBA, NHL, MLB. There's probably a few others -- oh ya, the Olympics.

DJofSD
10-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I like the idea of segregating the novelty races on the 1st day. Have the Saturday card contain all of the traditionaly races we're used to having on BC day. Drop the "filly Friday" idea.

As far as purses go, I would suggest the purses be structured to promote endurance over speed -- the longer the race, the greater the purse. Yes, I know that currently the Classic has a $5 million purse while the 12 furlong races are less than that, so, make the purses for the races 10 furlongs and longer the same. And an added twist: for races 10 furlongs and greater, award repeat runners an additional bonus.

chickenhead
10-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I really did not like having to miss the F+M Turf and Distaff on Friday.

trigger
10-26-2008, 01:12 PM
On Saturday, it was too damn long especially if you attended a track or otb.
They need to shorten it somehow. Never mind us degenerate horseplayers fading by the Classic, Newbies and casual fans just are not going to hang in for 6 hours (plus 2 more non BC races).

rrbauer
10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
1. Craig's idea of revamping the Friday card so that the top-drawer races are on Saturday is the way to go.

2. The packaging of the events and making everyone buy a two-day package is stupid (and for many very expensive). On Saturday's telecast, we got very few shots of the infield but from what I could see, there was virtually nobody over in the infield (any attendees who can speak to this?). It might help explain why I can't find attendance figures from Saturday anywhere...has anyone see attendance figs (other than Friday)?

3. "Win and You're In" should be extended to the fan base. All of the tracks, especially the NTRA tracks, should have BC-ticket giveaways as a promotion item. So should the ADW's reward programs. You want me to be your customer and come to your party? Show it!

4. Takeout should be reduced on the day(s) of BC races by at least 25%. The owner's get to run for mega-purses and the track gets to charge mega-prices for everything under the sun. How about extending that concept to the customers? Throw the dogs' a couple bones! Again, you want me to be your customer and come to your party? Show it!

MNslappy
10-26-2008, 02:08 PM
for the love of god, please please please get rid of the same-colored saddle cloths!!

and stop taking away the bleeping 10 cent superfectas.