PDA

View Full Version : When Has Racing Ever Loved You Back?

Hajck Hillstrom
10-26-2008, 05:30 AM
When watching a movie, FEVER PITCH, the other night, I once again listened to the character named Ryan (Brett Murphy) ask Ben Wrightman (Jimmy Fallon) the question of the ages, “You love the Red Sox, but when have they loved you back?”

After decades of languishing as a die hard BoSox fan, I can certainly well relate to the question, and then, after being accused on this site of “loving” the sport of racing, I am forced to asked the question, on what I consider to be one of the premier forums of the sport, “You love racing, but when has it ever loved you back?”

When forum member, “The Hawk,” accused past posters of “helping to ruin the sport I purport to love,” in the thread Rich Perloff finally gets it right, I was somewhat defensive in my reply, “if I ever said I loved racing… I was obviously drunk.”

I’ve always thought myself passionate about the sport, but we can spin it anyway we choose, my question to all posters that read this thread, “When has the sport of Thoroughbred racing ever loved you back?”

I’m not talking to the horsewomen and horsemen on the board, as their emotional ties to the equine is on a completely different level, but let’s peal back the layers of the `73 Whitney winner and primarily address the question to the handicappers that fuel the sport through the windows.

I am preparing an article on the subject that I would hope will find its way on the desk of some racing administrators, and would like the answer to this question from the perspective of some of its most dedicated & intelligent supporters.

Truth be told, in my 35+ years of following the sport, I can honestly say I have experienced reciprocity only one time. When I went to the Kentucky Derby in 2007, I did a one day tour of points east on the Sunday following, which included the Kentucky Horse Park, touring the countryside around Lexington/Versailles, and spending an afternoon at Keeneland.

At Keeneland, I felt the love.

Every door was opened to me, every courtesy conveyed. It wasn’t about squeezing every dime out of my pocket, but more of that we are all in this together. There is something special about how Keeneland treats their patrons, and IMHO, the industry needs to collectively embrace it as its model.

Enough of that, as the point will be elaborated on at another time, but please, if you have an answer to the question “When has Thoroughbred racing ever loved you back?” I would like to hear it.

I’m not talking about the 5 or 6 figure hit either. That is a desired result from your efforts. Divine intervention from the Racing Gods doesn’t count as well. What I want to know is “has a racing administrator ever, even once, recognized your passion for the game and your support of it?” Rarely will you find it outside Kentucky. I believe the biggest single effort I've seen in recent years was demonstrated by Ellis Park’s 4% take on their Pik4 wagers.

Back in 1984, I was one of 87,000 that packed Santa Anita to watch the Big`Cap. As I viewed a sparsely attended infield at this years BC, the sport’s decline is becoming glaringly noticeable.

Truth be told, I don't expect many replies, so even your silence is appreciated. Thanks for stumbling to the bottom of my missive, and by all means do....

Imriledup
10-26-2008, 07:14 AM
I'll answer your post even though i have incredible distain for the Red Sox and for all things Boston ;)

I would say that there were a few times when racing higher ups treated me right, but for the most part, racing hasn't loved me at all despite my years and years of contributing to the game with my betting handle.

Racing does a horrible job at really taking the fans under their wing and making things right. I believe that racing higher ups with their college educations and fancy suits, look down their noses at the average fan. They walk the grandstands very infrequently and when they do, they see the lowest form of human life betting the races. They view these lowlives as the 'typical fan' and don't understand that those people they see on the bottom floors of racetracks do not represent me and they do not represent any fan who views horse racing as a chess match and a puzzle. Those degenerates the executive sees would gamble on anything....their participation is not horse racing specific so they are really not fans of racing, they are fans of gambling.

I can tell you for sure that there are some top horseplayers out there who forgot more about this game than some of the top executives will ever hope to know. Just because those people went to a fancy college and found their way into the game of horse racing as an employment choice, doesn't mean they'll ever know this game and what it needs to get better.

Racing will never get to the 'next level' until the suits realize that they are not as smart as they think they are. As much as this game needs owners, it needs players more.

The problem that racing faces is that they have to somehow convince horseplayers to keep playing their hard earned money despite having very little chance to win. 99% (give or take a few percent) are lifetime losers as bettors. Most people do not win and its the tracks who have to do something to keep these fans coming back for more. Its a daunting task no doubt, but i haven't seen all that much 'effort'.

Note to GM's. Get out of your office and walk the track. Introduce yourself to random fans and ask "how are you enjoying your day at the races. I really want to thank you for coming, its means a lot to me that you are supporting my racetrack and this game. THANK YOU for being a great fan, i really appreciate it"

Do you know how far a compliment goes? People complain about high takeouts and fixed races and drugs and breakdowns, but if you just give a compliment and a thank you to the fans who are there every day, man, that goes a really long way. And, its the GM's dream as that compliment and thank you doesn't cost one red cent.

If one GM or higher up ever came up to me and said "i want to thank you for coming and i hope you are enjoying your experience" to THIS DAY i would never forget that. I would always remember the time the GM of such and such track came up to me and thanked me for coming to his track.

There are a lot more things that tracks and racing associations can do to help this game, but if you can't start with a thank you and showing your appreciation to the fans who come thru the turnstiles, why would we think that big changes are on the horizon? A compliment and a thank you go a long, long way and it doesn't cost the GM or owner of the track one red cent, yet very few tracks ever do this.

Bobzilla
10-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Nice post Hajck, and a very good question you ask that I'll be pondering in the coming days.

As a life long BoSox fan I can relate to the torment of being in a relationship in which the love, devotion and energy one offers is never recipricated. Finally in 2004 and 2007 the Sox loved us back and the nightmare memories of shortstops named Bucky and the untimely rolling of ground balls through firstbasemen's legs were once and for all exorcised from our souls.

Can one deny the outpouring of affection we all feel during a giveaway day at the track? Waiting in line for an hour at Saratoga so I can get my fold up chair is a cherished memory. The chair collapsed on me during its third use so I guess the feeling of love was short lived.

The question is well taken. There certainly does seem to be an absense of appreciation for the game's regular customers. If a track were to have a Fan Appreciation day what might we reasonably expect from them on that day? Anyway off to Foxboro for the Pats Rams contest this afternoon. Can't wait to see if the Pats are feeling the love today.

BombsAway Bob
10-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Hajck, I "FEEL THE LOVE" Every time I set foot in Saratoga Springs.
Something about the rarified air up there, but there is a certain charm
found @ The SPA that I haven't experienced anywhere else..
(But I've never been to Keeneland...for that matter, Spain...maybe it's KARMA?)
http://ksolo.myspace.com/music/Three-Dog-Night/Never-Been-To-Spain

LottaKash
10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Hajck, I "FEEL THE LOVE" Every time I set foot in Saratoga Springs.
Something about the rarified air up there, but there is a certain charm
found @ The SPA that I haven't experienced anywhere else..
(But I've never been to Keeneland...for that matter, Spain...maybe it's KARMA?)
http://ksolo.myspace.com/music/Three-Dog-Night/Never-Been-To-Spain

The Spa has always been the most "Feelgood" place that I have ever been to...bar none...:jump:

Way back when ,Monmouth Park had that same open and airy feeling...I haven't been there in some time, but from what I have gathered in some posts here, I believe that may have changed....

best,

Niko
10-26-2008, 11:15 PM
I have to say in one aspect I feel the love from Canterbury and in another very bad way I don't. They do a great job of running promotions (attendance over 4,000 on average days for a small track). They make it fun with $2 beers on Thursdays and Fridays, $1 hot dogs, pop and nacho's on Thursdays, live Music on Fridays. They even through in a little golden gloves boxing on a few Thursdays. In other words they're trying and doing things to up the entertainment value for everyone. They do a great job of bringing in young fans on Thursdays and Fridays and everyone I speak to is having a great time. Sundays are family day with free pony rides for the kids and huge playground, my kids love it.

Extreme racing day isn't great for racing purists but they packed the house and people were loving it. The Ostrich races were a riot.

They offer many well run handicapping contests (I wish I lived closer or had more free time) and I often see the their employees talking to the fans.

The big negative as I've mentioned...those damn huge late odds drops.

Now when I go to Arlington, it's a different story. Unioned tellers that have been around forever that are slow and rude as heck etc...but the racing is good.

Betpad has also sent some freebies over the years and offered excellent customer service...an opposite experience at Youbet.

I have to get to Keeneland some day

Niko
10-26-2008, 11:16 PM
one quick note on Arlington..the racing is good if I'm not betting on a Catalano race...