PDA

View Full Version : Football Video

Jake
10-21-2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdWdBgUBqw

Watch the ref in this clip. Absolutely bizarre.

cj
10-21-2008, 11:38 AM
I have no idea how there can be any logical explanation for that.

BetHorses!
10-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I have no idea how there can be any logical explanation for that.

Instinct

The Ref used to be a linebacker....seriously

Jake
10-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Instinct

The Ref used to be a linebacker....seriously

Just thank God he didn't used to be a kicker!

boomman
10-21-2008, 02:02 PM
As a former high school and small college referree for 16 years (and during that time working the position of football umpire many of those times), I was absolutely stunned when I saw this. There is NO WAY this was an accident or self defense...The referree not only isn't trying to get out of the way, HE GOES AFTER the ball carrier. College and Pro Football are always telling us they want to protect the integrity of the game, so if this is REALLY the CASE, this guy should NEVER be on the field again. For Steve Spurrier to have reviewed the tapes and then to be quoted as saying "this clearly was an accident" is an example of his brain power......:mad:

Boomer

ldiatone
10-21-2008, 05:18 PM
NCAA "The Ref was protecting himself"

cj
10-21-2008, 05:32 PM
There are certainly easier ways for a ref to screw a team. The whole thing makes no sense. Maybe the camera angle is deceptive. It is one of the strangest things I've seen in a lifetime of watching sports.

Hosshead
10-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Agree, it does look like the ref is the one who made contact. You would think he would at least get reprimanded.
However, it looks just a little less incriminating from the camera angle looking down on the field.
It looks like he moved to his right to see the play, then moved forward to make contact.
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Z-kAmbZCc&feature=related

ezrabrooks
10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
I thought the Linesman was positioned closer to the sidelines...but, he looked like he was in the middle of the play

Ez

JWBurnie
10-21-2008, 06:43 PM
I enjoyed that clip, very much. :lol: "Oh my god, Mike Singletary is a ref?" That was definitely personal, good "lick" too! No criminal charges?

See this one?

The 33-year-old former Nebraska running back has been jailed since August 2005, when he drove onto a field near Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and his car struck three boys, ages 14 and 15, and a 19-year-old man, who suffered cuts and bruises. The car narrowly missed three other people, prosecutor Todd Hicks said.
Phillips was allegedly upset after losing a pickup football game to the youths and accused them of stealing some of his possessions.

“When he gets angry and he feels disrespected, he acts out with blind rage,”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-phillipssentenced&prov=ap&type=lgns

ghostyapper
10-21-2008, 07:15 PM
The referree not only isn't trying to get out of the way, HE GOES AFTER the ball carrier.
Boomer

That is a poor angle. The tv shot didn't make it look so bad. The qb looked like might cut inside

ghostyapper
10-21-2008, 07:18 PM
There are certainly easier ways for a ref to screw a team. The whole thing makes no sense.

Exactly. There are 1000 easier and more effective ways to fix a football game than a ref tackling the qb.

JustRalph
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM
ok, I was watching this game when it happened. I watched most of the game, I was hoping LSU would get beat..........

The real story is this. In Context

3-5 plays earlier this ref got canned on his ass because the Gamecocks kept using him as a pick for their tight end/receiver whatever.

4 or more times during the game, the GameCocks receiver would cut across the middle and use the Ref as a very close pick. The defender was running into the ref and actually hit him very hard a couple of times.

I think this was a little signal as to what he was going to do if they keep using him as a pick. The guy is a 60 year old ex linebacker............ I loved it when I was watching it........... :lol:

boomman
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
That is a poor angle. The tv shot didn't make it look so bad. The qb looked like might cut inside

I have watched this incident over and over. The referree clearly initiated the contact and should be banned from the game for life no matter what may have been his motivation for doing so. If he gets away with this with a slap on the wrist ANYTHING will be fair game!

:mad: Boomer