PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

BUD
10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
It seems lately I couldn't pick my nose let alone a winner?

Do any of you ever deal with total confidence loss?. It seems that I just can't get a feel to the race what so ever...

Now only 2 weeks ago it was the opposite....How do you folks get out of your slumps........

I'm thinking a 6 pack with Jack chasers..Honestly, constructivly what do you folks do....I appreciate the help.

john del riccio
10-17-2008, 03:27 PM

Do any of you ever deal with total confidence loss?. It seems that I just can't get a feel to the race what so ever...

Now only 2 weeks ago it was the opposite....How do you folks get out of your slumps........

I'm thinking a 6 pack with Jack chasers..Honestly, constructivly what do you folks do....I appreciate the help.

Walk away for a day or two. Clear your head. You will be amazed how focused you will be when you return.

John

JustRalph
10-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Bud, check out this thread...........

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39347&highlight=losing+streak

Post 45 has even more for you to check out

LottaKash
10-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Walk away for a day or two. Clear your head. You will be amazed how focused you will be when you return.

John

I agree with John on this..... Bud,I have found during those times, when a losing streak would upend my confidence and start spilling over into the other important parts of my life, I would just switch off the horse racing for as long as it would take for me to regain a refreshed outlook and a renewed perspective in trying to beat this great game......

Often times the losing streak seemed to coincindently be tied in with trying a new twist or approach to my handicapping syle, or sometimes It would just be out and out complacency or laziness, resulting in deviating just enough from the basics of successful handicapping, that it tilted my score into the negative zone....In earlier times, I just wasn't good enough and the good scores and winning days were just an illusion, causing me to believe otherwise......

Whatever the reason for the meltdown, it will pass, especially after some self introspection into one's personal truth in the "state of the handicapper".......And, after this brief or extended hiatus, you will know when you are mentally able to contend with winning and losing again....

Bud, from the sound of your post, I think you already know what to do next......do it...:jump: ....realx a bit, those races you think that you may be missing out on have always been there whether you were or not...they will be waiting for you when you return.

best,

BUD
10-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I appreciated it guys.....Thanks.

You know LK I have been adjusting some, Thanks never thought of that...

Again Thank You..

onefast99
10-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Wait for the Breeders cup and play a few exactas that will get your bankroll back!

Steve 'StatMan'
10-17-2008, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't go too heavy on BC day unless your usually good on BC day, or back to normal and usually go heavy - just because BC day is, in my mind, one of THE Toughest cards, in that most every horse is really geared for that day and that there are very few throwouts. Big scores are available, but lots of risks. Good news is that the favorites, while good horses, are often still bet down to 3/1 and less, and are often underlays. So it is a good day to try to find some faves that can be beaten - but which one of many contenders to chose from?!

Taking a few days or even a couple weeks or more, coming back, you might see things freshly again, and then hopefully the better horses and the improvers at good odds start to stand out again, and maybe once in a while those baseballs start to look like softballs again and you can really smack one.

jotb
10-18-2008, 07:18 AM

Two weeks ago, everything was ok according to you. My suggestion is for you to go back to the race (that started the losing streak) and figure out what went wrong. Was it a race that you missed making a nice score? Was it a race that you had a strong opinion on a horse (that won) and you changed to wager on another horse instead? Something went wrong and you have not let go of it yet.

You mentioned that total confidence is lost. Do you feel everytime you make a wager the last two weeks that you are going to lose before the race starts? If you do feel this way, I would think your chances of winning are slim and it might be best to take a mini vacation like John said.

A 6 pack with Jack chasers might give you some courage to continue on, but then you have to deal with self control and discipline. Drinking does not make you a better handicapper or help you to stop the losing streak. It's just distorted thinking.

Do you keep records on every race you play? Just go back to the 2 weeks that you were doing well and look at the winning races you had. Those races that you won during that period will help you find that confidence you are lacking now. Visualize those races you won and think about how you arrived at the winners. Check to see if you won certain types of races (condtions, age, gender,distance, etc). What type of wager and how much was wagered on these winning races? Instead of beating yourself up right now, try to pat yourself on the back for the good things you did before the losing streak. Hopefully, you will see exactly why you went off track. Once you allow yourself to "let go" of that bad race that started your losing ways, I'm pretty sure you will get back on track.

Good luck,
Joe

DanG
10-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Solid advice as always in this thread… :ThmbUp:

I’m sure this won’t be a popular statement but I would recommend you keep playing.

I’ve found losing periods are usually followed by…winning periods and vice a versa. I try and reward myself by taking time after success and double my efforts during a down period expecting it to turn.

The exceptions are falling out of touch with a fundamental shift in track profile. If your game is built around dominating early pace and track maintenance has changed the winning profile, you must adapt or wait it out. Also; is there something else going on that is causing a major distraction? I realize there is always some challenge in life, but if it creeps into your concentration it can wreck your gambling equilibrium.

Is your key firing at all? / Or is it a series of lost photos?

BTW: I would estimate that 1,459,269 solid approaches to this game have wound up in the trash bin because of down periods. Computer cappers / spot players are notorious for this and will trash solid work during the inevitable turns. I’m guessing some technical analyst in the stock market who are seeing unprecedented charts are finding their methods challenged. :eek:

I know it’s a broken record, but as Joe said (previous post) during down times I check my past records. This game will always be a roller coaster and our financial fate is determined by our handle on failures more then our enjoying success.

Stay well...

maxwell
10-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Statman gives good advice in regards to BC Day. Top horses, jocks, and trainers ... tough day to root out win plays. A good day to have some fun with the exotic pools. :)

BUD
10-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I do keep records. All the old DRF's plus Bris if used.....And yes I went cold like a a switch being turned...

I will tell you one of my problems is NOW my confidence...I believe looking back with a few beers and Jack...Seeing how I was influenced of MY pick by JB and AS........Not that I can ever fill their shoes....Don't take what I said that way......But we'll say if Andy is Not interested in my pick.....I found myself abandoning ship.....That started the WHOLE mess......Now I was influenced by other things as well...Jumping off winners......Forming my exotics like a 5 grader etc.....Then yes...Before the race ran...I already figured it was another beat....Then to make matters worse....I played on paper long after the night fell...Came up with my picks...Fired up my account and watched the race replay......Winner.........

Desperate money loses...I also think me being a totally disabled Sheriffs Deputy lends to that desperation...........This is what I do.....If I run my bank account aground I am stuck playing on paper which is fine....But it lacks that adrenaline rush that a cop ex athlete is addicted to.........So in a way I do play with desperate money........I believe I must change that focus....That will be a loser every time I believe.........But like I was saying my disability has me brought to a couch.....Then at night to a bed........So this is all I have at this moment..........I am PT'ing and will be able to walk soon etc...Hopefully.......So this weighs heavily on me creating a desperation situation.....

Everyone Mucho Appreciation for the help.............You have been more than generous to share...

Murph
10-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I believe looking back with a few beers and Jack...Seeing how I was influenced of MY pick by JB and AS.......Another one bites the dust.
Learn a valuable lesson, as you shouldn't let that happen again. Keep playing and be happy, Bud

BUD
10-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Just to be clear...I am not saying Jason and Andy don't handicap well.....I just jumped off my winner's for their losers and Never caught it good, vice versa....

But That being influenced as such is just TERRIBLE handicapping....

No...I hope not to let it happen again

rufus999
10-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Handicapping requires a keen level of concentration that must not waver. More than an ordinary human being is capable of much less prepared to do.
In the face of a losing streak I take one of two approaches.
Take a day and play with total illogical abandon.
Take a day off and reprogram my brain.
With the former you run the risk of continued losses. The latter is a more pragmatic approach and, therefore, more sensible.
I've said enough.

rufus:9::9::9:

Jim the Tolerable
10-18-2008, 09:45 AM
"Then yes...Before the race ran...I already figured it was another beat."
If this thought occurs to me, I have to walk away for a while. I HAVE to have supreme confidence to play this game. Beats on the track are hard enough. If I begin to lose mentally, the money flows right behind it.

Robert Fischer
10-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Desperate money loses...I also think me being a totally disabled Sheriffs Deputy lends to that desperation...........This is what I do.....If I run my bank account aground I am stuck playing on paper which is fine....But it lacks that adrenaline rush that a cop ex athlete is addicted to.........So in a way I do play with desperate money........I believe I must change that focus....That will be a loser every time I believe.........But like I was saying my disability has me brought to a couch.....Then at night to a bed........So this is all I have at this moment..........I am PT'ing and will be able to walk soon etc...Hopefully.......So this weighs heavily on me creating a desperation situation.....

Everyone Mucho Appreciation for the help.............You have been more than generous to share...

I am also disabled(two OHS on my aorta), so I can relate to you a little there.
You can't let the adrenaline rush rule you in your decision making. By all means let it motivate you. Of course a cop isn't going to lead others into danger for the adrenaline rush etc... It comes down to winning decisions.

Taking a couple of forced days off can really freshen up your thinking.
When I know for sure that I am in a slump and making careless mistakes, playing on paper(without betting) has helped me get back into a groove. I found that when playing on paper I have to play everything (other than the money part) - exactly like my regular betting. Sounds silly, but it can help to make a thread in the selections forum, and track wagers and winnings. Maybe going public adds a little bit of importance in your mind for not stinking:D.

Simplify your betting
Underlay Races - Look for favorites that you don't like , and spread a little deeper than usual w/out the favorite in the win slot.

Overlay Races - Look for longshots that you do like , and make some smaller wagers with the longshot and some other contenders.

Pass Races - You like the low priced favorites to win, the exactas you like aren't paying "anything", - this race is a ripoff wait for something better.

TrifectaMike
10-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Just to be clear...I am not saying Jason and Andy don't handicap well.....I just jumped off my winner's for their losers and Never caught it good, vice versa....

But That being influenced as such is just TERRIBLE handicapping....

No...I hope not to let it happen again

May I inquire? Who is Jason and Andy?

Mike

BUD
10-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Andy Serling and Jason Blewitt.

Andy is here he is the Little Guy......

LottaKash
10-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Andy is where ?........Do you have little people there with you ?........

best,

BUD
10-18-2008, 08:44 PM
:lol: I really sound like an idiot.....No, I write like one;)

Thanks.

jotb
10-19-2008, 09:18 AM
I do keep records. All the old DRF's plus Bris if used.....And yes I went cold like a a switch being turned...

I will tell you one of my problems is NOW my confidence...I believe looking back with a few beers and Jack...Seeing how I was influenced of MY pick by JB and AS........Not that I can ever fill their shoes....Don't take what I said that way......But we'll say if Andy is Not interested in my pick.....I found myself abandoning ship.....That started the WHOLE mess......Now I was influenced by other things as well...Jumping off winners......Forming my exotics like a 5 grader etc.....Then yes...Before the race ran...I already figured it was another beat....Then to make matters worse....I played on paper long after the night fell...Came up with my picks...Fired up my account and watched the race replay......Winner.........

Let me understand this! You are telling us, that you are on a losing streak because of a couple other handicappers. Are you kidding me? Are you telling us that when you go through the handicapping process and finally arrive at your selection you then turn to these handicappers for reinsurance to make sure they are on the same page as you? Apparantly, you have no confidence in your own handicapping. You also claim you were jumping off winners. Let it be understood every solid handicapper deals with this all the time. When you handicap a race you dig through the pp's to eliminate as many horses as you can with confidence. You are then left with several contenders. Out of those remaining contenders there is usually that one horse that feels right. The tricky part comes when the handicapper starts to read too much into the race. The handicapper starts to talk themselves off the horse. I would think one of the biggest factors are the odds of the horse. The tote board can be a killer for the handicapper. The next factor usually comes from the horse themselves. Maybe the horse shows negative body language in the paddock, post parade, and warm-up. The next factor is the people around you. I can't tell you how many times, I've seen a horseplayer jump off a horse just because the other person did or didn't like the horse. The only way a handicapper can overcome these obstacles is, by going with their gut feeling. If it gets to overwhelming (which happens many times) it's probably a good idea to pass the race altogether. If you pass the race and the horse does win (the handicapper usually gets frustrated) move on to the next race. It's over and in the past. You have to think positive (your handicapping was right) and you didn't lose any money by jumping off the horse. If you are hard on yourself and can't get pass it, the next best thing to do is end all gambling for the day. As long as you stay alive, there is always tomorrow, next week, or even next month. You have to be in the right frame of mind. In horse racing there are a tremendous amount of obstacles that a handicapper must overcome. If your thinking process is distorted you are done before you even start handicapping. Remember this forever.

Joe

BUD
10-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Well I pretty much saying in general I have really been terrible........Yes I have done some stupid this........I am glad you want to now come back in rub it in..

You know...I got injured at work....Have been in severe pain for 2 years got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis...........Have been in unreal pain......As Now they found they left some fragments in my spine.......

I am sorry If I misunderstand your post.....Long paragraphs unfortunately blur to me now.....So I only really got the beginning....

Maybe I am fooling myself.......It takes an enormous effort for me to get even this far........So Now I feel as I am making a fool of myself..........Makes me sad.......I'm a good guy---got hurt protecting my community-----really want something to make the day bearable.......Ya I guess on my own I suck......Now I set myself up on line to look like a fool....Great

cmoore
10-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Bud...You don't look like a fool...Plenty of people here bet on what others say. That's no biggie. Just try to learn from the races and the bets you make..If your handicapping is a little suspect. Then you just need a little time to improve it..We've all questioned ourselves at some point and time..You just need to do the work yourself to make this game more enjoyable and profitable. My advice is to come up with your own decisions and stick with them if the price is right. Don't let others talk you out of it. Especially these track guys who get paid to talk between races. Blah Blah Blah when I listen to them. Many times I just turn the sound off..

LottaKash
10-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Bud...You don't look like a fool...what others say. . Don't let others talk you out of it. Especially these track guys who get paid to talk between races. Blah Blah Blah when I listen to them. Many times I just turn the sound off..

Bud, I am with cmoore, as well, on this one, about the "little guys" on tv, they are just "talking heads" to me....:D

best,

the little guy
10-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Bud, I am with cmoore, as well, on this one, about the "little guys" on tv, they are just "talking heads" to me....:D

best,

If you have the mute on then how are we " talking heads? "

DeanT
10-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I think you two do a heck of a job. If I wasnt watching 97 tracks I would pay attention more and know that the 2B came off the AE list :)

Light
10-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Bud

Losing(for whatever reason) is really the other side of the same egotistic coin. Not getting overconfident when winning is as important as not kicking yourself when you're down.

point given
10-20-2008, 07:17 PM
I've got an idea for you. Handicap the days races on paper and then for each race jot down the on-air talent picks for same. Might just be the right medicine.

I think getting away from it for a few days is also a wise move to refresh the old brain cells. So get a good pair of headphones and put on your favorite music on the ol' stereo and blast away along with having some of your favorite food and drink. After a couple of days of this therapy you'll be back to normalcy and those doubtfull demons will be gone. The mute button will also come in handy , and make sure you put your bets in before the mute button gets pushed once again to hear the race call. Enjoy yourself for a few days and then get set for the BC on TV. If you bet horizontal , try betting doubles instead of P3 P4, and then there are always those new 10 cent supers to feast on. :jump: GL

FUGITIVE77
10-21-2008, 01:44 AM
I wonder how the economy and the artificial surface will reflect in the pools this year?

LottaKash
10-21-2008, 04:13 AM

Because occasionally when they pan the camera I see people and their respective heads, and those heads are moving their lips, so I figured they must be talking.....:rolleyes:

Just poking fun.....But personally, I don't go by anyone elses selections unless they show me their personal score card with the Profits & Losses visible for the world to see....

best,

LottaKash
10-21-2008, 04:18 AM

Also, The Little Guy, up until recently in these posts and only after piecing this whole thing together, I never realized that you were the "little guy" of record......I was poking some fun with "Bud" and the fact that he had been drinking and you know the "little people"...haha....

My apologies to you, as sometimes my sense of humor is a bit dry and sometimes I'm a bit misunderstood as a result.......cool with that ?

best,

boomman
10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Bud: You and I have pm'd back and forth on several occasions, and I know you to be a great guy who is working hard on learning this "game". I didn't read anything that made you come across as foolish, only asking the board for help because you were going through a rough time, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Here's the one thing that I would add that could help your mindset (which I strongly agree with other posters is VERY important) that has consistently worked for me over the years: I have joked at seminars that I've hosted that I EXPECT to WIN EVERY BET I MAKE. Now as ridiculous as that may sound, I'm only half kidding. I never make a wager that I don't have a strong opinion on! Of course, many of those don't win, but the point is I never make a SINGLE wager without sound judgment and money management involved. What this also does is keeps me strong emotionally when the wager doesn't pan out, and maximizes my profit margin (by wagering the correct amounts in the exotics) when it does. Keep your chin up and don't ever be afraid to ask questions, that's what this board is here for...........:ThmbUp:

:) Boomer

JustRalph
10-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey Bud............ shake it off. After you have lost a few thousand races, it starts to roll off your back pretty easy............hang in there!

You have been through tougher things than losing a few races, shake it off, take a break and get back to it with a clear head...............

:ThmbUp: