PDA

View Full Version : Beulah park cancels live racing today.

porchy44
10-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Rumor is they want to reduce purses 50%.

Tom Barrister
10-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Without slots or a racino, I give the Ohio tracks another year at most.

cj
10-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Without slots or a racino, I give the Ohio tracks another year at most.

Let us hope they don't get them then!

NoCal Boy
10-17-2008, 05:59 PM
I would imagine the legislative process to get slots, then bid out the contracts and enact regulations will take a minimum of two years.

This seems all about the lack of ADW at Beulah. The track is digging in as are the horsemen. Problem is Ohio horsemen will starve without live racing and the track owners will simply shutter the tracks and salvage what value is there.

Seems all about the ADW impasse.

NoCal Boy
10-17-2008, 06:07 PM
The ADW players are simply playing other tracks, but the horsemen at Beulah are receiving nothing now from live racing. It appears there is some positive movement between THG and tracks/ADW's, but this is a rather bold step by Beulah Park. Next up is Texas where Sam Houston can not operate due to hurricane damage and Retama and Lone Star refuse to step into the void as long as the ADW impasse is outstanding.

This strikes me as a typical labor-management issue. Initially the labor union can cause pain and disruption, but eventually management holds the cards and a deal is struck. Here the horsemen have the weapon of withholding consent on ADW signals. They have done so, but now management of the tracks have the utimate weapon of simply not running races. This hurts your average horseman far more than the lack of ADW. Tracks want more as do the horsemen from THG, but tracks appear to believe the demands of the THg are simply too far.

This action by Beulah will likely further expedite a settlement.

Tom
10-17-2008, 06:52 PM
I hope Beulah shuts them all off and send the horsemen looking for some of those jobs Americans won't do. Make a nice example of them.
I can see them holding signs in parking lots at malls "Will Dope for Food"

Steve 'StatMan'
10-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Last I knew, Beulah and River Downs only requested a limited number of Quarter Horse dates for next year.

startngate
10-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Saturday has been cancelled too ...

http://www.drf.com/news/article/99189.html

InsideThePylons-MW
10-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Beulah's total handle on Wed's 9 race card was $69K.

They had to cancel after that number popped up.

Tom
10-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I would put a toll booth at the entrance to the backstretch. :D
Tell the boys they have to make up the lost revenue somewhere.

rrpic6
10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Where will the Beulah Twins end up?

RR

cj
10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Where will the Beulah Twins end up?

RR

If they need a place to stay...I think my Dad has a few extra rooms!

Bruddah
10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
If they need a place to stay...I think my Dad has a few extra rooms!

Old Daddy"O can't put up with the noise of children any longer. Now me, I love the pitter patter of little girls feet. I've got plenty of room and time. They can stay at my place. I am too happy to oblige. :ThmbUp: :D