PDA

View Full Version : So, You want to be an owner, huh....

john del riccio
10-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Stewards to trainer 40 minutes before a race:

Your rider isn't here, why did you name him to ride ?

Trainer to Stewards:

He took the call and said he'd be here.

Stewards to trainer:

Pending our conversation with his agent, someone is gettng fined. In the mean time, name a rider ASAP.

Trainer to Owner:

Our jock didnt' make it, we need a rider.

Owner to Trainer:

What ?!? that *!&%$ SOB.... Who is left ?

Trainer to owner:

Theres (insert jock name here) or (insert jock name here) or (insert jock name here)....

Owner to Trainer:

(insert jock name here) is cold, (insert jock name here) doesn't fit her style, (insert jock name here) has been riding alright, lets ask him.

Trainer to Jockey in the Jocks room:

Our rider didt make it, would you be interested in riding (insert horses name here) in the next race ?

Jockey to trainer:

Let me look at the form.....she tries hard everytime, Ok, I'll ride for you.

Trainer/Owner to jockey before the race:

Thanks for riding her... keep her awake at the start, save ground while keeping her covered up, don't go wide, its OK if you get stopped she's won before while getting stopped several times.

Race goes off:

It appears as if she breaks bad. A few jumps out of the gate, her head is straghit up in the air. She falls far behind the field. At the 1/8 she makes a token run and after the wire gallops past the field like they are standing still.

Jockey dismounts/Trainer asks what happened at the start:

She got pinched at the start and lost all chance.

Trainer/Owner watch the head on replay:

The horses on either side of her break outward never making contact with her but making contact with the horses on their opposites sides. The jockey abruptly pulls back on the reins more than once causing her head to raise up violently. He has a tight hold on her for almost the entire race.

Owner to trainer:

If I get my hands on that little pinhead, I'll rip his head off.

Trainer to Owner:

Which one, the one that said he'd ride but didn't show up or the one that did ride and didn't show up.

Moral of the story:

Pay for feeding her, training her, medicating her, & shipping her for a month, show up expecting a top effort and live through that.

So, you want to be an owner huh ?

Endsweep24
10-16-2008, 01:50 PM
You have way to much time on your hands.

Tom Barrister
10-16-2008, 01:56 PM
I liked it. The sad part is that it happens every day.

john del riccio
10-16-2008, 02:10 PM
You have way to much time on your hands.

I truly wish that were the case.

John

barn32
10-16-2008, 03:59 PM
So, you want to be an owner huh ?Excellent story. I feel your pain.

So what happened to the jockey that didn't show up? What happened to the jockey that did show up?

Endsweep24
10-16-2008, 04:08 PM
I liked it. The sad part is that it happens every day.

Tom Tom Tom this does not happen everyday Common now.

first thing the stewards do not contact a trainer to tell him he needs a rider the clerk of scales does

2nd Riders have a certain time they have to be in the room if they do not show by the designated time without some valid reason then the stewards have the right to take him off all mounts.

3rd if a rider does just plain not show up without a valid reason he would be suspended not fined.

If a rider change is needed for any reason trainers aren't going to call the owner and ask him who do you want to ride the trainer is just going to name someone. I am sure if he trust you enough to train there horse there sure going to trust your judgement on who to ride.

Now can you see Bill Mott calling the jocks room and saying Edgar, Johnny V forgot to show up today can you ride my horse in the 4th I see your open. Do you really think Edgar is going to say What a minute Bill I have to go look at the Racing form first before I give you an Answer.

Shenanigans
10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Stewards to trainer 40 minutes before a race:

Your rider isn't here, why did you name him to ride ?

Trainer to Stewards:

He took the call and said he'd be here.

Stewards to trainer:

Pending our conversation with his agent, someone is gettng fined. In the mean time, name a rider ASAP.

Trainer to Owner:

Our jock didnt' make it, we need a rider.

Owner to Trainer:

What ?!? that *!&%$ SOB.... Who is left ?

Trainer to owner:

Theres (insert jock name here) or (insert jock name here) or (insert jock name here)....

Owner to Trainer:

(insert jock name here) is cold, (insert jock name here) doesn't fit her style, (insert jock name here) has been riding alright, lets ask him.

Trainer to Jockey in the Jocks room:

Our rider didt make it, would you be interested in riding (insert horses name here) in the next race ?

Jockey to trainer:

Let me look at the form.....she tries hard everytime, Ok, I'll ride for you.

Trainer/Owner to jockey before the race:

Thanks for riding her... keep her awake at the start, save ground while keeping her covered up, don't go wide, its OK if you get stopped she's won before while getting stopped several times.

Race goes off:

It appears as if she breaks bad. A few jumps out of the gate, her head is straghit up in the air. She falls far behind the field. At the 1/8 she makes a token run and after the wire gallops past the field like they are standing still.

Jockey dismounts/Trainer asks what happened at the start:

She got pinched at the start and lost all chance.

Trainer/Owner watch the head on replay:

The horses on either side of her break outward never making contact with her but making contact with the horses on their opposites sides. The jockey abruptly pulls back on the reins more than once causing her head to raise up violently. He has a tight hold on her for almost the entire race.

Owner to trainer:

If I get my hands on that little pinhead, I'll rip his head off.

Trainer to Owner:

Which one, the one that said he'd ride but didn't show up or the one that did ride and didn't show up.

Moral of the story:

Pay for feeding her, training her, medicating her, & shipping her for a month, show up expecting a top effort and live through that.

Was the jockey (that didn't show up to ride) Patrick Valenzuela?

john del riccio
10-16-2008, 04:21 PM
i will give you a base on balls endsweep, but just one. i was there. maybe the COS is typically who makes such a call, but the stewards did make the call in this case.

We'll your one-pass is over.... WRONG ! Not the case, especially when shipping out of their home-base. Again, I was there, not second hand info.
right from the owners mouth !

Uh, please allow me to sit you down my friend.....I doubt a jock that took a call for Mott and his owner would not honor the call and if something came up you can bet your ass a phone call with sufficienct notice would have been made. Are you an ex-jock or something, your take on this is comical.

John

proximity
10-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Was the jockey (that didn't show up to ride) Patrick Valenzuela?

i think endsweep is trying to imply that john's is a twisted version of the story;) ,so i don't believe it was pv.

joking aside, a call from the agent would have been nice. so someone owes both jdr and the trainer an apology.

jotb
10-17-2008, 05:55 AM

first thing the stewards do not contact a trainer to tell him he needs a rider the clerk of scales does. True but not in all cases

2nd Riders have a certain time they have to be in the room if they do not show by the designated time without some valid reason then the stewards have the right to take him off all mounts. Yes they can.

3rd if a rider does just plain not show up without a valid reason he would be suspended not fined. Wrong! They get fined for not honoring the mount.

If a rider change is needed for any reason trainers aren't going to call the owner and ask him who do you want to ride the trainer is just going to name someone. I am sure if he trust you enough to train there horse there sure going to trust your judgement on who to ride. Wrong. If the trainer can get in touch with the owner, the trainer will let the owner know who is available and in many cases the owner will make the call of what jock to use.

Now can you see Bill Mott calling the jocks room and saying Edgar, Johnny V forgot to show up today can you ride my horse in the 4th I see your open. Do you really think Edgar is going to say What a minute Bill I have to go look at the Racing form first before I give you an Answer. In many, many, many cases (get the point) the jockey will look at the pp's on the horse and then take a pass or will take the call.

Joe

jotb
10-17-2008, 06:18 AM

first thing the stewards do not contact a trainer to tell him he needs a rider the clerk of scales does

2nd Riders have a certain time they have to be in the room if they do not show by the designated time without some valid reason then the stewards have the right to take him off all mounts.

3rd if a rider does just plain not show up without a valid reason he would be suspended not fined.

If a rider change is needed for any reason trainers aren't going to call the owner and ask him who do you want to ride the trainer is just going to name someone. I am sure if he trust you enough to train there horse there sure going to trust your judgement on who to ride.

Now can you see Bill Mott calling the jocks room and saying Edgar, Johnny V forgot to show up today can you ride my horse in the 4th I see your open. Do you really think Edgar is going to say What a minute Bill I have to go look at the Racing form first before I give you an Answer.

1- If the trainer can't be reached the clerk of scales will pass the message to the track announcer. The track announcer will say, (trainers name) please contact the clerk of scales. In John's case, it's possible for the stewards to call the trainer. Maybe the clerk of scales was busy at the time or didn't have the trainers number in front of him. The horse did ship in so it's possible.

2- Many times jockeys don't make the room in time for the race (could be a good reason behind it) but it's the agent or jockeys responsibility to contact the clerk of scales to let him know why he or she will be late. If for some reason the agent or the jock does not call at all then the clerk of scales has the power to take the jockey off every other mount on the card.

3- The stewards will impose a fine if the jockey does not show up to honor the mount.

4- A jockey that is asked by a trainer to ride the horse will certainly look over the horses pp's and then decide if he or she want to ride the horse.

Joe

Shenanigans
10-17-2008, 10:02 AM
i think endsweep is trying to imply that john's is a twisted version of the story;) ,so i don't believe it was pv.

joking aside, a call from the agent would have been nice. so someone owes both jdr and the trainer an apology.

I was kidding also. But anyone that thinks something like this doesn't happen has never been involved with the insides of the sport. P-Val was very good at pulling stunts like this and he rode for top stables.

onefast99
10-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Its called the luck of the irish!!!

john del riccio
10-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I do this 4 times a week and for the past 6 years we have never had an incident where our jockey didnt make the race, maybe I am lucky;)

brian,

i'd say you maybe you;) have a rose in your lapel....

john

onefast99
10-17-2008, 10:21 AM
brian,

i'd say you maybe you;) have a rose in your lapel....

john
Its called the luck of the irish!!!

matthewsiv
10-17-2008, 10:30 AM
This happens every day of the week.

Normally with the big jockeys who take the ride.

If you have owned horses you know that this is true.

If it has not happen to you yet,it will.

matthewsiv
10-17-2008, 10:32 AM
YES

onefast99
10-17-2008, 11:02 AM
This happens every day of the week.

Normally with the big jockeys who take the ride.

If you have owned horses you know that this is true.

If it has not happen to you yet,it will.
The jocks agent will give you ample time to get another jock!

BUD
10-17-2008, 01:49 PM
So when my settlement comes due from severe injury while on duty....I should not purchase into or purchase a horse? I also should steer clear of this game and head for the Craps Table or Card Room?

Sometimes I wonder if anybody likes this game..:bang:

proximity
10-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Sometimes I wonder if anybody likes this game..:bang:

bud, i think alot of us here wish that the game loved us even a fraction as much as we love it. good luck today!!

proximity

jotb
10-18-2008, 05:35 AM
The jocks agent will give you ample time to get another jock!

Not all jock agents especially in John's case. Sometimes, when a jock is shipping out of town they don't even know. A trainer (and it's possible but rare) will just name the jockey on without calling the agent. If the jock normally rides out of town (say the meadowlands) the clerk of scales will check that rider on without hearing from the agent giving the jockey and agent the benefit of the doubt. It's the agent's responsibility to check the entries each day to make sure stuff like this does not happen. It's the trainers responsibilty to call the agent and ask if the jockey wants to ride the horse. The clerk of scales should never check a rider on without hearing from the agent. Lastly, when an agent checks a jock on and race day comes it's the responsibily of the agent to call the trainer when the jock can't make it for whatever reason. Believe it or not, there are agents that will not call because they don't want to hear a trainer rip them apart. This does happen when the jock rarely rides for the trainer. The problem with many agents is that they take these out of town calls and the horse is not live. The jock is not going to another racetrack unless he or she has a shot on the horse. It's a waste of time to travel unless you have a horse that can win. The time involved and expenses are just not worth it, unless it's for a trainer you regularly ride for (meaning most of his or her stock) Then you have to suck it up and make the trip. In John's case he was screwed. When a jockey does not show up that's usually not a good sign. If the jock has a legitimate excuse the other jocks usually don't buy the excuse (thinking he just didn't want to ride the horse). The agents usually knows when a jock takes off the horse and will start calling the trainer to get his rider on the horse. If the trainer tells an agent to put his rider on, then the jock will probably ride but is the trainer going to get 100% from the jock? I think the trainer should call down to the jocks room and ask the clerk of scales to ask what jockey would be interested in riding the horse. You are probably better suited if it's a jockey that has no representation. This type of jockey might not be the best in the stat department but is certainly hungry enough to ride his butt off for you and I'm certain you will get an honest ride.

Joe

DanG
10-18-2008, 08:21 AM
1st: Thanks John for staying in the game and keeping the show on the track. :ThmbUp:

Players like to say the game wouldn’t exist without us…but the truth is the owners are indispensable. Of course without players purse money would be paid by rolling pennies, but without you…no game.

On the bright side; (I guessing as to the runner) you did help your price next out off this running line assuming the northeast is still running grass. ;)

BTW: This is when you need that drum set in your basement to vent your frustrations. As a former drummer like yourself there is nothing like using some heavy sticks and pounding out some Led Zeppelin beats until the neighbors claim foul! :cool: :jump:

JWBurnie
10-18-2008, 11:39 AM
The overnight comes out, we have a double call. We spoke w/ the agent a day before entries receiving the green light. However, the jock had promised the mount to the trainer of the other horse a month or so prior. We get spun. I contact the agent of a high % jock who comes in on dark days of his home track. The agent states he wants to review the pp's w/ his rider before saying "yes" or "no". Day of entries the agent says “we'll take the mount”.

1 1/16 on Dirt, Field of 8, we're No. 7
2nd time off layoff (3rd in last), M/L 3rd choice.

In the paddock prior to the race, going over instructions (he is in agreement), break (usually breaks well), settle/relax a few lengths off the pace (1 horse w/ early speed) and come w/ a run around the turn for home. The only thing we added was to have him 3-4 off the rail down the lane (if possible)

He breaks on top, 25 yards out rider taps him twice on the neck, asking him to go on. He takes the lead by 1 maybe 2 going into the first turn. He then allows the lone speed horse in the race to come up alongside, proceeds to give up the lead and lay 1/2 length off till the 5/16ths pole. At that point, he asks the horse and takes the lead by 1 - 1 1/2 (going3 wide). 3 horses are closing well on the outside. Our horse is moved down on the rail and begins to tire. Finishes 5th, beaten by 5 lengths.

How would you feel if you were the connections?

jotb
10-18-2008, 01:15 PM
The overnight comes out, we have a double call. We spoke w/ the agent a day before entries receiving the green light. However, the jock had promised the mount to the trainer of the other horse a month or so prior. We get spun. I contact the agent of a high % jock who comes in on dark days of his home track. The agent states he wants to review the pp's w/ his rider before saying "yes" or "no". Day of entries the agent says “we'll take the mount”.

In the paddock prior to the race, going over instructions (he is in agreement), break (usually breaks well), settle/relax a few lengths off the pace (1 horse w/ early speed) and come w/ a run around the turn for home. The only thing we added was to have him 3-4 off the rail down the lane (if possible)

He breaks on top, 25 yards out rider taps him twice on the neck, asking him to go on. He takes the lead by 1 maybe 2 going into the first turn. He then allows the lone speed horse in the race to come up alongside, proceeds to give up the lead and lay 1/2 length off till the 5/16ths pole. At that point, he asks the horse and takes the lead by 1 - 1 1/2 (going3 wide). 3 horses are closing well on the outside. Our horse is moved down on the rail and begins to tire. Finishes 5th, beaten by 5 lengths.

The first part of your story sounds like you screwed. Maybe the jock rode the horse prior (a month ago) and said (like most jocks)," I'll ride the horse back. If the jock really did tell the trainer he wanted to ride the horse back, I would think the agent should have known as well. Why didn't the agent know? It's the agents job to follow-up with the trainer/horse to see where that trainer is heading for the next race. Jock and agent must be on the same page. If the agent knows his jock really wanted to ride this horse back, it's his job to contact the trainer to find out what race in the book the trainer is pointing to. Now the agent has it marked in his book. You come along a day before entries and asked his agent if the rider is open and you get the green light. The agent should have contacted the jock and explained to his jock that he was contacted by you for this particuliar race. Then the jock and agent make a decision. In the meantime, the agent should have said, I might have a call in the race and please give me a chance to speak with my rider and I will get back to you right away to take the call or not. This is the professional way of handling this situation. Did the agent do his homework? No, plain and simple.

The seond agent you spoke with did the right thing by speaking with his jock about the race. The second agent bascially left it up to the jock to make the decision to ride or not. I don't know if this jock had other mounts on the card and you didn't tell us what the purse of your race is. All I know from you here is the horse is "live" because of the morning line 3rd choice. The instructions for the race seem cut and dry. It seems the jock pop out of the gate on top with the horse and he probably did the right thing by tapping him to continue on trying to make the lead and get the fence. Don't forget he had an outside post. If the other speed horse was inside of him then the jock did the right thing. When the other jock came up alongside of your horse it's time for your jockey to either expend more energy and duel with the other horse or let the other horse just get the lead. He only had a 1/2 length lead (not sure what the pace was) and I guess your jockey figured he had enough to put that horse away (maybe a premature move) and moved away from the field. I'm not sure why he came 3 wide (again not knowing which horse had the inside) but maybe because you and the trainer instructed him to be 3 or 4 paths off the rail. Your horse at this point tires drifting down to the fence and race is over. Sometimes, it's better you let the rider ride his or her race. Where did the other horse finish in the race the other jockey had?

Joe

JustRalph
10-18-2008, 01:53 PM

I know exactly how you feel......... I bet that asshole several times a week :lol: :lol:

JWBurnie
10-18-2008, 03:29 PM
The first part of your story sounds like you screwed. Maybe the jock rode the horse prior (a month ago) and said (like most jocks)," I'll ride the horse back. If the jock really did tell the trainer he wanted to ride the horse back, I would think the agent should have known as well. Why didn't the agent know? It's the agents job to follow-up with the trainer/horse to see where that trainer is heading for the next race. Jock and agent must be on the same page. If the agent knows his jock really wanted to ride this horse back, it's his job to contact the trainer to find out what race in the book the trainer is pointing to. Now the agent has it marked in his book. You come along a day before entries and asked his agent if the rider is open and you get the green light. The agent should have contacted the jock and explained to his jock that he was contacted by you for this particuliar race. Then the jock and agent make a decision. In the meantime, the agent should have said, I might have a call in the race and please give me a chance to speak with my rider and I will get back to you right away to take the call or not. This is the professional way of handling this situation. Did the agent do his homework? No, plain and simple.

The seond agent you spoke with did the right thing by speaking with his jock about the race. The second agent bascially left it up to the jock to make the decision to ride or not. I don't know if this jock had other mounts on the card and you didn't tell us what the purse of your race is. All I know from you here is the horse is "live" because of the morning line 3rd choice. The instructions for the race seem cut and dry. It seems the jock pop out of the gate on top with the horse and he probably did the right thing by tapping him to continue on trying to make the lead and get the fence. Don't forget he had an outside post. If the other speed horse was inside of him then the jock did the right thing. When the other jock came up alongside of your horse it's time for your jockey to either expend more energy and duel with the other horse or let the other horse just get the lead. He only had a 1/2 length lead (not sure what the pace was) and I guess your jockey figured he had enough to put that horse away (maybe a premature move) and moved away from the field. I'm not sure why he came 3 wide (again not knowing which horse had the inside) but maybe because you and the trainer instructed him to be 3 or 4 paths off the rail. Your horse at this point tires drifting down to the fence and race is over. Sometimes, it's better you let the rider ride his or her race. Where did the other horse finish in the race the other jockey had?

Joe

The rider already had two calls on the card before taking our mount. The other horse (I failed to mention we had run against and beat twice before) finished 3rd. The winner was the eight. It was a $30k purse.

ryesteve
10-19-2008, 11:43 AM
He breaks on top, 25 yards out rider taps him twice on the neck, asking him to go on.Just to play devil's advocate, if the jockey pulls a Desormeaux and wrestles him back after breaking on top, a lot of folks would be screaming bloody murder about that too.

john del riccio
10-19-2008, 06:33 PM
1st: Thanks John for staying in the game and keeping the show on the track. :ThmbUp:

Players like to say the game wouldn’t exist without us…but the truth is the owners are indispensable. Of course without players purse money would be paid by rolling pennies, but without you…no game.

On the bright side; (I guessing as to the runner) you did help your price next out off this running line assuming the northeast is still running grass. ;)

BTW: This is when you need that drum set in your basement to vent your frustrations. As a former drummer like yourself there is nothing like using some heavy sticks and pounding out some Led Zeppelin beats until the neighbors claim foul! :cool: :jump:

Dan,

I'd of set a real bad example for my kids had I handled it as I saw fit at the time. As I calmed down, since my skins are at a friend house 10 miles away, I filed a foraml greiveance with the NJRC. I will let you know how that turns out but I have been advised I have a better chance of winning the presidential election.

John

john del riccio
10-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Owner standing with the trainer in the paddock 20 minutes before a race:

A rival trainer in the same race walks over to them and says
"So what are we doing here ?"

Owner to his trainer:

Who's this guy ?

Trainer to his owner:

This is (fill in trainers name).

Owner to rival trainer

What do you mean ?

Rival Trainer to Owner:

I've been stiffing my filly looking to cash a bet, I see your horse in there, and
I'm like, damm, we are going to kill each other on the front end, theres no point to that.

Owner to Rival Trainer:

What do you want me to tell you ?

Rival Trainer to owner:

Are you sending ? Do you want to sit one-two and go real slow early?

Owner to Trainer:

Is this guy kidding ?

Rival Trainer to owner:

So what do you want to do here ?

Owner to Rival Trainer:

I want to take you out into the parking lot and tell you there!

onefast99
10-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Owner standing with the trainer in the paddock 20 minutes before a race:

A rival trainer in the same race walks over to them and says
"So what are we doing here ?"

Owner to his trainer:

Who's this guy ?

Trainer to his owner:

This is (fill in trainers name).

Owner to rival trainer

What do you mean ?

Rival Trainer to Owner:

I've been stiffing my filly looking to cash a bet, I see your horse in there, and
I'm like, damm, we are going to kill each other on the front end, theres no point to that.

Owner to Rival Trainer:

What do you want me to tell you ?

Rival Trainer to owner:

Are you sending ? Do you want to sit one-two and go real slow early?

Owner to Trainer:

Is this guy kidding ?

Rival Trainer to owner:

So what do you want to do here ?

Owner to Rival Trainer:

I want to take you out into the parking lot and tell you there!

John, very interesting scenario. Sometimes you wonder why some of these trainers act the way they do. I would hope you told the other trainer just the opposite of what your true intentions really were. And I cant imagine who that trainer could possibly be!

JustRalph
10-26-2008, 06:19 PM
just tell me what track..............so I can make sure my money stays out

I am sure it goes on everywhere though..........

john del riccio
10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
just tell me what track..............so I can make sure my money stays out

I am sure it goes on everywhere though..........

MED

onefast99
10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Only two more weeks of this dreadful meet. Please NJSEA sell this facility and MP to a private company.