PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming........is it over?

JustRalph
10-14-2008, 11:56 PM
I get a kick out of reading these stories............. Glaciers are growing, now the Gazillion science types working for Al Gore will have to find a way to spin this...........

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/53884.html

Alaska glaciers grew this year, thanks to colder weather
By Craig Medred | Anchorage Daily News
Two hundred years of glacial shrinkage in Alaska, and then came the winter and summer of 2007-2008.

Unusually large amounts of winter snow were followed by unusually chill temperatures in June, July and August.

"In mid-June, I was surprised to see snow still at sea level in Prince William Sound," said U.S. Geological Survey glaciologist Bruce Molnia. "On the Juneau Icefield, there was still 20 feet of new snow on the surface of the Taku Glacier in late July. At Bering Glacier, a landslide I am studying, located at about 1,500 feet elevation, did not become snow free until early August.

"In general, the weather this summer was the worst I have seen in at least 20 years."

Never before in the history of a research project dating back to 1946 had the Juneau Icefield witnessed the kind of snow buildup that came this year. It was similar on a lot of other glaciers too.

__________________________________________________ ______________
http://www.eastoregonian.info/print.asp?SectionID=13&SubSectionID=48&ArticleID=83885&TM=29612.53

Weekend cold set new record lows
Pendleton breaks 118-year-old record

The East Oregonian

Monday, October 13, 2008

Cold temperatures set several new record lows this weekend, including a low of 22 Saturday in downtown Pendleton that broke a 118 year-old record of 24.

Record lows started falling Thursday with a new low of 20 for Meacham, four degrees cooler than the previous record from 2006, according to information from the Web site for the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Pendleton.

Heppner and Long Creek then set new low temperatures Friday. Heppner hit 29, the coldest that date has seen since 1960 when it was 30; and Long Creek was 21, besting the 1987 record by four degrees.

Saturday set multiple new lows, including the record 22 in downtown Pendleton. John Day dropped to 21, breaking the 1990 record of 23; Meacham's 15 broke the previous low of 20 from 2002; and Mitchell set a record with 21, five degrees cooler than the 2002 record.

Additionally, the top of Airport Hill in Pendleton set a new low of 25; the previous record was 33. And the agricultural experimental station north of Pendleton recorded a low of 18, five degrees cooler than the previous record from 1990.

The cold continued to set records Sunday. Meacham, for the third time in four days, set a record with a low of 15, one degree cooler than the 2002 record. Long Creek and Mitchell again set new records as well Long Creek's low of 21 broke with 1969 record of 25, and Mitchell's 21 broke the 1949 record of 24.

The top of Airport Hill in Pendleton also set another record with 24; the previous record was 28 from 2002. And downtown Pendleton's 21 chilled past the previous record of 25 from 1931.

Also Sunday, two-miles north of Hermiston cooled to 18, breaking the 1953 record of 20.

Weather this week, however, won't be so chilly as the past few days. Eastern Oregon will have partly sunny to mostly sunny days and high temperatures in the 60s. Overnight lows this week will be primarily in the upper-30s and lower-40s.

Today's highs will be in the mid-60s and overnight lows in the mid-40s. High temperatures will drop to about the lower-60s Tuesday and then to around the mid-50s Wednesday.

Thursday, however, will warm and some cities will have highs in the upper-60s. Temperatures will cool a little going into the weekend, but most area highs will remain in the mid-60s.

__________________________________________________ _____________
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20081014/NEWS/810140335/-1/frontpage?Title=Frost__one_more_thing__for_grape_g rowers

Frost 'one more thing' for grape growers[/B]

By GLENDA ANDERSON
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 4:41 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 4:41 a.m.
A record cold snap in Mendocino County over the weekend caused little damage to wine grapes but chilled the hearts of farmers who already have suffered huge losses this year.

"It's just one more thing on top of one more thing. You kind of hold your breath," said Potter Valley wine grape grower Bill Pauli.

Temperatures dropped to 31 degrees in the Ukiah Valley on Saturday night and early Sunday morning, the coldest Oct. 12 morning since record keeping began in Ukiah in 1893, said Troy Nicolini, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Eureka. The previous record was 34 degrees in 1916.

Temperatures were milder in Sonoma County, and there were no reports of frost-related problems, county officials said.

Farmers in Redwood Valley and other cooler regions in Mendocino County reported temperatures as low as 27 degrees.

An estimated 30 percent to 50 percent of that county's wine grape crop had yet to be harvested when the frost hit, killing the tops of unprotected vines and effectively freezing the ripening process.

Most unprotected wine grape crops already had adequate sugar content, so they were unharmed, said Mendocino County Agricultural Commissioner Dave Bengston.

Farmers either sprayed water or turned on wind machines for crops that were not quite ready to harvest, said Redwood Valley farmer Peter Johnson. He said he took frost-protection measures for his cabernet and merlot grapes and expects the return of sunny weather to bump up their sugar content over the next week or two.

ArlJim78
10-15-2008, 12:08 AM
"AlGore, please call your office"

chickenhead
10-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Of course it's colder in Alaska, Palin's been on the road.

bigmack
10-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Of course it's colder in Alaska, Palin's been on the road.
Feel free:
http://www.instantrimshot.com/

boxcar
10-15-2008, 12:16 AM
JR, the worshipers of the Mother Earth goddess have known the climate and oceans are cooling. Why do you think they changed the environmental terminology from "global warming" to "climate change"? Global Cooling will fit in just as well with the new phrase. Liars always want to speak out of both sides of their mouth.

Boxcar

mostpost
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
If a horse has lost twenty in a row and suddenly wakes up to win one, does that indicate a new long term trend? You wouldn't think so in Horse Racing, so why think so here? Answer: Because it suits your preconceived notions.

bigmack
10-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Answer: Because it suits your preconceived notions.
There's never any good news for some. It could be the coldest temps for the next 12 years and they'll still be yappin' about warming. Beyond that, they can't simply disagree with others they play dime store psychic and try and tell people why they think the way they do. :eek:

mostpost
10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
There's never any good news for some. It could be the coldest temps for the next 12 years and they'll still be yappin' about warming. Beyond that, they can't simply disagree with others they play dime store psychic and try and tell people why they think the way they do. :eek:

I think you meant dime store psychologist. I wasn't trying to see what JustRalph thought. (That is obvious from his post starting this thread) I was trying to figure out why he thought that way and why he was willing to accept a one time abberation as indicative of a long term trend in one case when he would not do so in a different case. If a trend for colder temperatures continues over several years, we can then take a fresh look at "climate change." But temperature change is not a cause of global warming, it is a symptom. The cause is excess levels of carbon dioxide, which continue to rise.

Finally; I was not being critical of anyone for having preconceived notions. I have them too. I call mine facts.........I'm kidding...I'm kidding. ;)

DeanT
10-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Global warming cant be over. The severe overpopulation of the world assures that it will continue.

Oh sorry, that is what these types told us in 1990 when they predicted the worlds population would triple by 2010 :)

And I thought my hit rate betting horses was bad :confused:

JustRalph
10-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Don't forget, in the 70's we were going to freeze to death.............

I think GWarming is a racket that has new taxes as its ultimate goal............

wes
10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.gotquestions.org/rained-before-flood.html

Did it rain before the flood? Was the ice age caused by the flood?

wes

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2008, 01:10 AM
If a horse has lost twenty in a row and suddenly wakes up to win one, does that indicate a new long term trend? You wouldn't think so in Horse Racing, so why think so here? Answer: Because it suits your preconceived notions.I watched Al Gore's movie. Based on all his talking, one would think that what is happening now in Alaska would be impossible.

That's if, you use logic.

Greyfox
10-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Two articles caught my eye in Drudge today:

Cyclists 'braved freezing cold temps' to promote global warming awareness... (http://www.wktv.com/news/local/32477839.html)The article is at:
http://www.wktv.com/news/local/32477839.html

Al Gore spoke at Harvard in record low temperatures.

http://www.jackblood.netfirms.com/home/images/Gore-Freezing.jpg.

Tom
10-23-2008, 06:44 PM
You would think the morons would at least wait for a warmer day rather make themselves look like utter fools! :lol: