10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
into the Classic. Billed by one Santa Anita official as "Curlin Vs. the World."

This is a good thing.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/99043.html

Indeed it is:jump:

Maxspa
10-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Grits,
Handicap the Breeder's Cup Races as well as Keenland ones! Your expertise will help Bill W. and Storm Cadet pay their expenses!
You are right Curlin is one of the keys to a successful Breeder's Cup!
I like Zenyatta in her division!
Enjoy your favorite past time!
Maxspa

BeatTheChalk
10-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Indeed it is:jump:

Just as an aside. When Curliln was sold after his huge maiden win : The folks
at the farm where he was bred and raised said this ( along with tears flowing ) We have never sat on a horse like this ..more crying. I saw the
interview == it was simply incredible. The exercise girl broke down. :ThmbUp:

joanied
10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Just as an aside. When Curliln was sold after his huge maiden win : The folks
at the farm where he was bred and raised said this ( along with tears flowing ) We have never sat on a horse like this ..more crying. I saw the
interview == it was simply incredible. The exercise girl broke down. :ThmbUp:

Wish I'd seen that interview... I can very well understand the emotion.

Grits
10-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Grits,
Handicap the Breeder's Cup Races as well as Keenland ones! Your expertise will help Bill W. and Storm Cadet pay their expenses!
You are right Curlin is one of the keys to a successful Breeder's Cup!
I like Zenyatta in her division!
Enjoy your favorite past time!
Maxspa

;) I missed ya this year Max!! Hope to see you next, at Saratoga.

And yes, what fun we all had in Lexington. Take care!!

trigger
10-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Curlin's 5 furlong workout
http://www.youtube.com/HorseRacingTV

GaryG
10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Above my desk I have a picture of him crossing the wire in the BC. I love him to death and sure hope he repeats. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Stevie Belmont
10-15-2008, 01:26 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/SooperMan/DSCF4095.jpg

Bruddah
10-15-2008, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=trigger]Curlin's 5 furlong workout
http://www.youtube.com/HorseRacingTV[/QUOT

I don't think he broke a sweat in that workout. He made it look so easy. :ThmbUp:

joanied
10-15-2008, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=trigger]Curlin's 5 furlong workout
http://www.youtube.com/HorseRacingTV[/QUOT

I don't think he broke a sweat in that workout. He made it look so easy. :ThmbUp:

he sure did. He glides over that Pro Ride. That first work I thought he looked a bit like he was climbing...but in this one, his strides looked effortless.
If he gets beat (:eek: ) it won't be because of the surface.
he is one gorgeous horse...takes your breath away!!

cj
10-15-2008, 07:26 PM
A few thoughts about Curlin after looking at his figures. First, he is probably just as good this year as he was last year on dirt. He hasn't had much of a chance to strut his stuff because the pace in many of his races has been too slow to record a nice final time. The other, the Woodward, was so fast early it probably also adversely affected his final figure.

Second, his turf race was mediocre at best. The pace was very fast, and he was unable to run much late despite being well off the pace. Either the extra furlong sapped his kick, or he doesn't really like grass. I happen to think it was a combination of both. So, I think he is far from a lock in the Classic. Proride, whatever percentage dirt it is, still plays like turf at longer distances.

I'll be betting against him for the first time in a long time.

classhandicapper
10-15-2008, 08:58 PM
A few thoughts about Curlin after looking at his figures. First, he is probably just as good this year as he was last year on dirt. He hasn't had much of a chance to strut his stuff because the pace in many of his races has been too slow to record a nice final time. The other, the Woodward, was so fast early it probably also adversely affected his final figure.

Second, his turf race was mediocre at best. The pace was very fast, and he was unable to run much late despite being well off the pace. Either the extra furlong sapped his kick, or he doesn't really like grass. I happen to think it was a combination of both. So, I think he is far from a lock in the Classic. Proride, whatever percentage dirt it is, still plays like turf at longer distances.

I'll be betting against him for the first time in a long time.

I don't trust turf/dirt figure comparisons at all.

I don't remember what figure you gave him for the turf race, but I'd be more apt to compare his turf figure to the figures the CA horses (and others) are earning on synthetic surfaces. By that standard, his turf figure probably looks more competitive.

His performance also looks a little better if you simply say he split two solid BC turf horses that day despite getting out of the gate poorly and Red Rock being ahead of him turning for home. I know the pace was fast that day, but he and Red Rock were so far off it their own closing fractions were pretty impressive. I'm not sure that pace helped him.

All that said, IMO he's likely to be an underlay because of his reputation. So I'll probably take a close look at some of the imports (and others). However, I'm not particularly anxious to try to beat him. Like you I think he's been running better than some people think. I just don't think the surface is going to be a major negative. IMO it's more of a ?.

cj
10-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't trust turf/dirt figure comparisons at all.

I wasn't comparing his dirt races to his turf race. I was comparing it to other horses running on synthetics and turf. His number that day won't get it done 10 days from now. Maybe he'll run better, but I certainly don't want a short price on that.

Stevie Belmont
10-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Curlin moved well over the grass. Might not have won, he certianly ran well. Running behind a BC Turf winner and ahead of another says a lot.

Curlin is all class.

cj
10-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Curlin moved well over the grass. Might not have won, he certianly ran well. Running behind a BC Turf winner and ahead of another says a lot.

Curlin is all class.

It isn't like they are recent BC Turf winners. I think both have seen better days. To my eyes, he was merely OK on grass, nothing like what he is on dirt.

Stevie Belmont
10-16-2008, 11:56 AM
There is no doubt he much better on dirt.

Red Rocks could also be a future BC winner. It would be nice if they both win...

Pro Ride still makes me wonder, as it does a lot of others....

classhandicapper
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM
There is no doubt he much better on dirt.

Red Rocks could also be a future BC winner. It would be nice if they both win...

Pro Ride still makes me wonder, as it does a lot of others....

I'm not convinced by that one race he's much better on dirt. He lost to a very good horse who seems to have fired his "A" race (or close) who had first move on him in a race in which they both finished fairly well. Had he not gotten out of the gate poorly, he may have had the better position and actually won.

Obviously, I'd rather have him on dirt than turf or Pro Ride because they are bigger question marks for him, but I thought he ran well on turf too.

The bigger problem for him is that IF Pro Ride is playing a lot like turf and the Europeans like it, he's going to be up against some extremely talented horses. He could love Pro Ride and still lose in this spot.

Stevie Belmont
10-16-2008, 02:30 PM
He worked a 59 over it, that I liked. I think he will be okay. Biggest concern is the Euros. I can't see anything in there that can beat him.