PDA

View Full Version : Pick 6 Scandal......this sucks!

JustRalph
03-20-2003, 04:06 PM
From DRF:

Harn sentenced to one year in pick six case

By MATT HEGARTY
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Chris Harn, the mastermind of last year's Breeders' Cup pick six scam, was sentenced Thursday to an unexpectedly lenient one year in prison while his co-conspirators received sentences of two and three years.
U.S. District Judge Charles L. Brieant cited Harn's cooperation with federal investigators to explain Harn's light sentence. Brieant said he doubted that federal prosecutors would have had a case without Harn's assistance.

Harn must report to prison on May 1, the judge ordered, along with Derrick Davis, who was sentenced to three years, and Glen DaSilva, who got two years. All three will likely serve in minimum-security prisons near family members.

The sentences brought to a close the criminal proceedings against the three, who were former fraternity brothers at Drexel Unversity. Harn and DaSilva had pleaded guilty to felony counts of conspiracy to commit fraud and money-laundering while Davis had pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit fraud.

All three defendents declined to comment after the sentencing. Lawyers for the three said the sentences were within their expectations.

Harn, a former employee of Autotote, admitted to manipulating pick six and pick four bets placed into telephone accounts held by Davis and DaSilva through Catskill OTB in New York. One of the bets was on the Breeders' Cup pick six, a scam that could have netted the conspirators $3.1 million if it had gone undetected. The three also admitted to cashing counterfeits of unredeemed winning tickets at tracks along the Eastern seaboard.

cj
03-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Something tells me these guys have plenty stashed away to lead a good life after there mini-vacation at the minimum security facility.

CJ

superfecta
03-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Jeez,if I can cheat the betting system and get away with one betting coup(and believe me,i think I could),I will gladly take a year in the slam,especially the soft one he's going to.

kitts
03-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Superfecta-
Let me know if you need an accomplice <g>

midnight
03-20-2003, 09:31 PM
The "year and a day" sentence is made because Hern will be eligible for parole after he's served a third of it. Sentences of a year or less don't have the same option.

Tom
03-20-2003, 10:55 PM
...this game is fixed. how can anyone ever place another bet in a game that is knowingly rigged and no one in authority will fix it it?
It is professional wrestling on horses. There is no integrity left in horse racing.

superfecta
03-21-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by kitts
Superfecta-
Let me know if you need an accomplice <g> I will sell you to the feds quicker than a $200 toilet lid.Which blows my mind,he's supposed to be the mastermind and he is able to get a better deal than his minions?Amazing.

PMANN1
03-21-2003, 01:21 PM
What would happen if they went in and robbed the track directly (even without a weapon). I'm sure the sentence would be a lot stiffer and they'd probably get away with less money because of what they could carry. What's the difference between robbing a track directly and robbing the patrons electronically? If you do it electronically the track still has their money and apparently it's not as much a crime. If it came directly out of their pockets you might see a lot more action on this case. If you rob the people, apparently it's not as bad because we're only "gamblers" anyway.
I think I'll start taking my EPO and see if I can out-run em' and get some of my share.

BillW
03-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by superfecta
I will sell you to the feds quicker than a $200 toilet lid.Which blows my mind,he's supposed to be the mastermind and he is able to get a better deal than his minions?Amazing.

Super,

He got a reduced sentence for ratting out the other two. ... Plea bargain.

Bill

Tom
03-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by BillW
Super,

He got a reduced sentence for ratting out the other two. ... Plea bargain.

Bill

So he gets rewarded for two betrayls!
Funny what prosecutors believe justice is these days-anything to get any conviction (for their political carre slate) and anything to make their life easier-now investigation need, just sign here!
Whoever prosecuted this case is a sick POS.
BTW....did they have to rpay the money?

BillW
03-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Tom@HTR
So he gets rewarded for two betrayls!
Funny what prosecutors believe justice is these days-anything to get any conviction (for their political carre slate) and anything to make their life easier-now investigation need, just sign here!
Whoever prosecuted this case is a sick POS.
BTW....did they have to rpay the money?

They never got the P6 money. Prior to that?????

superfecta
03-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by BillW
They never got the P6 money. Prior to that????? The money they recieved from a pick 4 at Balmoral,and a pick 6 from Belmont and the assorted tickets they frabricated to get vouchers from SAM machines.I'm sure unless he's really stupid,Harn only admitted to what prosecuters could back up.Problem is,who is entitled to the money,and how do you pay them back?I would say Joe bettor is entitled to his money back if he wagered into these "fixed" pools,but how do you do that if a majority of the bettors do not keep losing tickets?So i imagine the track or the state the wager occured in will fight over any monies repaid.