PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup Best Bet...4NJbets.Com Crashing

Stevie Belmont
09-30-2008, 11:29 AM
her we go again. Will it happen again?

It's been a disaster since it has started. The first BC the system failed. I could not wager and had to leave to get to Meadowlands zoo nation on BC Day.

One year later..Well I went there to the Meadowlands anticipating another failure...I was right, it failed again...

So it's one year later. Do you think they have fixed it? Why not? How can they expect to run the website if you can't play. It's insane and a disgrace on all levels.

I do not want go to the Meadowlands on that day, becuase they do not cater to real fans. Who wants to stand up all day in front of monitors, thats for the birds.

Does anyone know if the problem has been fixed with a bigger server...Why ask...I bet not.

richrosa
09-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Does anyone know if the problem has been fixed with a bigger server...Why ask...I bet not.

Bigger servers never fix what a poorly written application creates. Only dumb-dumbs put bigger iron out there in the hopes that they can skate by. If they haven't upgraded their application by writing it better, I can give you no hope.

The Race Palace in Plainview, NY throws a fine Breeders Cup party. Maybe you should drive further and enjoy yourself.

Zman179
10-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Stevie, if you bet on horses using past performances, why would you ignore the pp's of njbets?

If I were you, I'd head to Chester...or the Race Palace is a good choice too as that's a cool spot (GWB > Harlem River Drive > Triboro Bridge > GC Pkwy to LIE > LIE to Exit 48: Round Swamp Rd.)

startngate
10-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Bigger servers never fix what a poorly written application creates. Only dumb-dumbs put bigger iron out there in the hopes that they can skate by. If they haven't upgraded their application by writing it better, I can give you no hope.

The Race Palace in Plainview, NY throws a fine Breeders Cup party. Maybe you should drive further and enjoy yourself.I'm not sure what the problem is with NJ's system as I've never used it since I can't have an account there. Also don't know what happened with the "failure" on BC day.

"Fix" ... no ... "compensate for" ... sometimes. Depends on what is the real cause of the problem, and it could actually be the smart thing to do.

The software might actually be fine, but the system wasn't able to handle the load of a much busier than normal day. Don't get me wrong, it's no excuse, but if it was an engineering issue then it could be fixed by scaling the hardware and/or bandwidth.

Granted, it might also be preferable (or necessary) to do a re-write of the software, or do a better job of architecting and optimizing the databases. I would never rule that out, as things can always be improved in software. It may be that the existing hardware could be used if the application was written to run more efficiently. There are always tradeoffs.

samyn on the green
10-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Take the LIRR to Belmont. For $5 you can have your own TV/wagering terminal/desk and the system will not go down.

Imriledup
10-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Stevie do NOT take a chance on BC day with NJ. Listen to the posters and make alternative plans. There's zero chance they're going to get it right, its going to be a disaster from the start.

alhattab
10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Stevie do NOT take a chance on BC day with NJ. Listen to the posters and make alternative plans. There's zero chance they're going to get it right, its going to be a disaster from the start.

I'm with you. Getting a table in the Monmouth dining room or something- maybe the Garden Room. Not a great spot but servicable and no worries.

Imriledup
10-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm with you. Getting a table in the Monmouth dining room or something- maybe the Garden Room. Not a great spot but servicable and no worries.

:ThmbUp:

You're being smart. Maybe somewhere down the line NJ bets will figure it all out. As of now, they havent' ironed out all the kinks. This day is too important to take a modicum of a chance you won't be able to get in your plays.

Stevie Belmont
10-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I have a lot of options. One of being going to Belmont. The bottom line is this. it's unacceptable. This system has been riddled with issues from the get go. It should be fixed by now. 2006 and last years BC were jokes. I was subjected to the failure in 2006. Last year I knew better and made alternate plans. And I will have to again.

I will be writing them for answers. I wrote them last year. They said, yea it's good. Okay...Whatever.

Imriledup
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I have a lot of options. One of being going to Belmont. The bottom line is this. it's unacceptable. This system has been riddled with issues from the get go. It should be fixed by now. 2006 and last years BC were jokes. I was subjected to the failure in 2006. Last year I knew better and made alternate plans. And I will have to again.

I will be writing them for answers. I wrote them last year. They said, yea it's good. Okay...Whatever.

They are the bumbling state of NJ, no clue and no direction. They took many years to even get this stuff in place, even though it was passed into law many years ago.

Zman179
10-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not an advance action player, but if they allowed advanced wagering on whether njbets would crash or not, I'd bet my lungs on the "yes". :lol:

Stevie Belmont
10-13-2008, 10:08 AM
I have a hard time doing advance wagers on BC day...Too many things I take into account.

Stevie Belmont
10-13-2008, 02:27 PM
A Breeders' Cup best bet? A lock? This comes directly from the `more things change-more they stay the same’ department. The BC is less the two weeks away and one thing looks for certain. 4njbets.com is primed for another failure on horseracing’s biggest betting day.

New Jersey has lagged far behind in the online betting services for years. A bill was passed to get this going a few years ago, and took some time to actually get the system in place. It debuted right before the BC a few years ago. Talk about a bad time to launch a new service. It was not ready to handle the volume then, nor has it been able to handle the volume on big betting days since.

4Njbets made some cosmetic changes over the past couple of years, but the issue of the system’s ability to handle heavy volume seems to have been ignored or just not fixed well enough to handle the issue.

Let me say I use the system, and I find it good overall for what its purpose is. Make wagers and get live video streaming, it sounds easy enough. However the system is next to useless on big betting days.

To this, I say it’s a total disgrace that the system has failed even once for these big events. And to my knowledge no one from NJ has issued an assurance that the system will not go down again. Harsh words, but this is business and all involved should not permit this to happen. Everyone loses here, not just the handicappers.

Two years ago the Breeders’ Cup was held at Churchill Downs. I had capped the card and was ready to make my plays from the comfort of my own home. Early problems plagued the system. It was slow and at times non-responsive. The problem got progressively worse as the card went on. As The Breeders’ Cup Sprint approached, it was more than apparent that the system had failed. It would no longer accept my bets. Thus losing out on Thor’s Echo, who I tried in vain to make a saver wager on. It was futile attempt, met with aggravation and dismay. I was upset. I will leave it at that.

It was off to the Meadowlands. Since I’m literally a stones throw away, I went there. It of course was a mad house with nowhere to sit. Many people standing in long lines at machines, Teletheatres were all rented out well in advance. It seems the regular Joe gets shafted more often then not at the Meadowlands. I had already got shut out of a winner. My day was done—over, kaput—like a horse missing the break in a sprint. I never had a chance to get my head screwed on straight after this debacle.

After that frustration I took no chances last year. I paid the $35 or so, and went to the buffet at the Meadowlands’ Pegasus restaurant. I anticipated another 4njbets.com failure. I wish they would take wagering on this! I would have made a killing. And yes, it went down again! I heard the reports of disgruntled handicappers when I turned my computer on. No web bets, no phone bets. The system failed again as it has in the past. How can this happen on NJ’s biggest racing day in history? The host of the Breeders’ Cup was at Monmouth Park no less. Unacceptable.

I had sent e-mails to a certain higher-up before the Breeders’ Cup asking if the problem had been corrected. I did not get much of an answer. Mind you the system has also had major issues on Kentucky Derby day as well.

So what are the odds of an impending 4njbets.com doom? I would have to say very high. And again, I’ll plan accordingly. Belmont Park is on my radar this year.

This article is an open letter to the state of NJ. Get your act together or maybe consider not even having an Internet-wagering service. I mean what’s the point? The system has failed numerous times, and I expect it to fail again. This is unacceptable on all levels. No excuses justify this. Fix it. The executives are aware of the problem. This is no secret. One would think they would make sure the issue was corrected. Who is losing money?

Here are some contacts on this issue. Maybe, just maybe, someone will get the message and actually do something about it.

[/email]Robert Halpin- Director of Wagering Services

[email="rhalpin@njsea.com"]rhalpin@njsea.com (CCiarco@njsea.com)

201-842-5041

Vernard Bennett- Assistant Vice President of Wagering & Guest Services

vbennet@njsea.com (vbennet@njsea.com)

201-842-5034

Zman179
10-13-2008, 06:15 PM
The odds of 4njbets crashing on BC Day are the same as Cigar running against 4,000 claimers at Beulah Park. Need I say more?

njcurveball
10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Vernard Bennett- Assistant Vice President of Wagering & Guest Services

vbennet@njsea.com (vbennet@njsea.com)

201-842-5034

That one didn't work.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<vbennet@njsea.com (http://us.mc343.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=vbennet@njsea.com)>
(reason: 550 No such recipient)

Trying this one now

vbennett@njsea.com (vbennett@njsea.com)

Stevie Belmont
10-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks

That one didn't work.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<vbennet@njsea.com (http://us.mc343.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=vbennet@njsea.com)>
(reason: 550 No such recipient)

Trying this one now

vbennett@njsea.com (vbennett@njsea.com)

Stevie Belmont
10-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Does anyone know how things went with 4njbets.com Saturday? Was it good?

fiveouttasix
10-27-2008, 11:42 AM
I played on 4NJBets on Saturday up until about 4:00 PM without any problems.
This was the first Breeders Cup that I can say that!

Stevie Belmont
10-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Figures, I head out to avoid it..

I would like to think I had something to do with that...

Good job then...I throw them some kudos

njcurveball
10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I have nothing bad to say about their performance on Breeders Cup Day (shocker!)

I sent them an Email with kudos for the system working well all day.

Gotta call a winner, a winner, and this time they went wire to wire. :ThmbUp:

Jim

lsosa54
10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Absolutely no problems although every time I would change screens, I was cringing.

Stevie Belmont
10-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Good for them....If I knew, I would have stayed home probably....

Ill post it on my website..