PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge; Time to Put up or ......@#R#@%

JustRalph
10-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Miesque the accounting member of the HANA board has made a clarion call of sorts............and for all of those who have talked about how badly a Horseplayers group has been needed, Please read from his post I copied below (in case you missed it) and match my challenge of donating $25 bucks (or whatever you can afford) to help get this thing started. I donated $25 bucks and I say it is time we put a few bucks where our mouths have been the last year or so............... :ThmbUp: Jump on board guys......... They are putting in lots of time and effort.........we need to back these guys up with a few bucks to get started.

The HANA Website has a donations link, http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/donations.html

Miesque Post:

Originally Posted by miesque
As the resident bean counter on the HANA board, I just wanted to follow-up on the excellent points made by Jeff, Dean and John with a few candid comments of my own. On a very basic level we are at the point where in order to maximize the potential of the organization we need to maximize our membership base and we need to start raising some revenue.

There appears to be a lot of expectations being made of HANA and in due time we fervently hope the organization will be to be able to live up to those expectations. However, please keep in mind that the Horseplayers Association of North America has existed as an offiical corporate entity for less then a month. That may seem like a minor, insignificant point, but that was when HANA finally grew up and became a legitimate corporate enterprise and at long last could start laying some definitive organizational groundwork which will hopefully enable it to be an effective vehicle for providing a unifying voice for horseplayers with the goal of achieving constructive changes. The first HANA meeting I attended was August 13 and at that point HANA was basically a very informal collaboration of individuals with a blog, it was not an official entity and there was not much structure. In the two months that have passed between then and now there has been substantial progress made in making HANA a viable, legitimate organization. Once the decision was made to make HANA a true corporate entity and people had to step up and bite the bullet and put themselves in the uneviable roles of officers and members of the Board of Directors, then the organizational building blocks could finally be put in place and that has been our primary focus recently. The past few weeks we have been busy putting in place all of the supporting administrative functions such marketing, accounting/banking, website, membership database, etc...

Now HANA is finally getting to the point when we can move forward from being absorbed with taking care of those basic organizational issues to gaining greater visibility and both increasing the membership base and getting them more involved as well as getting a good gauge on the willingness of those members to be involved and to what extent. That last part is key because any sort of declaration of collective action by HANA (which is what I know a lot of people are looking for) requires a solid grasp of who your membership base is and knowing they will follow through. We are not yet there but we are getting there. I realize there is a lot of frustrations out there and everyone wants something done yesterday. However, this is a gradual process and we are a 100% volunteer organization which means everyone is donating their precious time and there are only so many hours a day to get things accomplished. In addition, as has previously been stated, we are operating on a shoestring budget and that is understandable at this point in time considering where we are on the organizational lifecycle. However we will be reaching a point in time very soon where HANA will not reach its full potential without some positive cash flow and I strongly feel that if HANA is going to have any chance in being succesful things need to be done the right way the first time around because credibility can be far more easily ruined then achieved. A key component of being a viable, successful entity is there needs to be enough cash inflows to offset cash outflows be it for web hosting, P.O. Boxes, postage, letterhead, annual incorporation fees, basic office supplies, etc. While those expenses may seem small, they do add up pretty quickly and the lack of proper cashflow stymies the growth and effectiveness of an organization. I realize times are tough and everyone is tightening their belts but a little can go a long way.

~End Post~

From the HANA Link:

Donations

Membership is free. Donations are completely optional.

To make a donation (any amount no matter how small will be genuinely appreciated) to H.A.N.A. using PayPal, follow these steps:

Send the amount of your donation to the following recipient email address:

Donations@HorseplayersAssociation.org

You should know
Money is needed for basic necessities such as having a website hosted, printing business cards and letterhead, postal services, and applying to the .I.R.S. for 501(c) tax exempt status. To date we are operating on a shoestring while we try to get the ball rolling. If what we stand for matters to you, won't you please help us change the game for you the bettor?

Please, make a donation today. Every little bit helps.

Thank You,

Jeff Platt, President
John Swetye, Vice President
Theresia Muller, Treasurer
Dean Towers, Secretary

DrunkenHorseplayer
10-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Any way to donate without using Paypal? Like sending a check?

magwell
10-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Any way to donate without using Paypal? Like sending a check? Post the mail address please....

miesque
10-14-2008, 08:38 AM
HANA now has its own separate mailbox for contributions and correspondance.

Horseplayers Association of North America
1926 Abbey Rd, #95
Charlottesville, VA 22911

Please make all checks payable to the "Horseplayers Association of North America"

Thank you very much. :)

BUD
10-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Excellent..I'll be donating this weekend.....Good post Ralph!. Thanks.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
I have to say, I'm impressed with how far HANA has come in such short time. I didn't forget about putting the logo on the home page...it will go up today.

And I'll be sending along a donation of my own to help out...

JustRalph
10-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Come on guys........post a note if you are going to help the cause........

I see some have already posted here...........

If I have to pull a Jerry Lewis and start singing and dancing like it's labor day.......... I will!!!

Tom
10-15-2008, 07:41 AM
I posted in the other thread, but I am in, too.
Hopefully tonight - no internet two nights in a row at home.

Dave Schwartz
10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
I am certainly in.

It would be very interesting to see how the fund raising is going. Are you applying for non-profit status?

cj
10-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I am certainly in.

It would be very interesting to see how the fund raising is going. Are you applying for non-profit status?

I believe that has already been done.

Bobzilla
10-15-2008, 12:03 PM
JustRalph's promise to sing and dance like Jerry Lewis was what finally put me over the edge, so I just signed on.

Though there are vast differences of opinions among horseplayers in regard to such varied issues as racing surfaces, Breeders' Cup changes, ten cent minimums on all exotics, rebates, etc.,etc., I think for the vast majority of us our opinions on such issues as takeout, taxation, tote security and integrity, and breakage, is for the most part universal. The most important thing, in my opinion, is that industry leaders at some point are going to have to recognize us collectively as an organized force which also has a stake in this game and will require a seat at the table when racing's decisions that impact us directly are being considered. Our demand for the racing product isn't so elastic that at some point any one of us won't finally decide we've had enough of the lack of respect and consideration. Sorry racing industry but we're more than just a necessary evil and the sooner you start to act like you truly realize that then the better we'll all be.

miesque
10-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Just to bring everyone up to speed, HANA is an active corporation and does have a corresponding EIN with the Internal Revenue Service. I am in the process of completing the somewhat lengthy Form 1024 Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(a) with the goal of becoming a 501 (c)(6). The application includes items such as creating a budget for the next three years and corporate bylaws needed to be included as well. I hope to have this completed and sent into the Internal Revenue Service with the requested $300 filing fee (which we currently do not have by the way) within a week or so after I return from Breeders Cup. Once the IRS receives the application it will takes months for them to process it and its at their discretion whether they grant exempt status or not and a lot depends on whose desk at the IRS this lands, they may try to make us a 501(c)(7) which is a social or recreation club). We actually have a 15 month window to send this in but I do want to get it in sooner rather then later.

I have cut and pasted a small description of what a 501(c)(6) for those who want further info. We are not applying for 501(c)(3) status:
According to the Internal Revenue Service, a 501(c)(6) organization is a business league devoted to the improvement of business conditions of one or more lines of business. It is not engaged in any regular business typically carried on by for-profits.
Trade associations and professional associations are considered to be business leagues. The mission of a 501(c)(6) organization must focus on the advancement of the conditions of a particular trade or the interests of the community.

A 501(c)(6) business league may further its exempt purposes through lobbying as its primary activity without jeopardizing its exempt status. However, a 501(c)(6) organization that engages in lobbying may be required to either provide notice to its members regarding the percentage of dues paid that are applicable to lobbying activities, or pay a proxy tax.

Examples of 501(c)(6) organizations include the National Association of Truck Stop Operators, Home Builders Associations, and local chambers of commerce.

DJofSD
10-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Wow. HANA is a lobby.

BillW
10-15-2008, 08:35 PM
JustRalph's promise to sing and dance like Jerry Lewis was what finally put me over the edge, so I just signed on.

Reminds me of the Nat. Lampoon cover in the early 70's with a picture of a dog with a gun to his head and the caption read "Buy this magazine or the dog gets it" :lol: :lol: