PDA

View Full Version : The Principles of Combination Handicapping (Jerry Andersen)

Overlay
10-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Has this book been previously discussed/reviewed on the board? Anybody read it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Principles-of-Combination-Handicapping_W0QQitemZ170268995178QQcmdZViewItemQQ ssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101

Tom
10-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I had or have it....not sure where it is if I do.
It was a study involving MSW races and combining various factors.....never really got interested in it, as I bought it with several others. I'll have a look for it.

Tom Barrister
10-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Just so you know, this book was published in late 1996.

According to the ads, it analyzes the various combinations of final time, pace, finish postion, workouts and trainers. While I don't know the specfics, my guess would be that the results were backfitted to the database in order to come up with winning combinations. At best, it would be probably be a primitive forerunner of datamining, which is beaten to death nowadays.

Jake
10-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Actually, it's worth a read, but be prepared to work for insight. More like a grad thesis, thick and dry. It's been a long time since I read it, however, so
I can't say how well it would hold up today.

Donnie
10-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey Tim---
Pulled this book off my shelf because I thought I had remembered it was very "specialized" in it's approach. I was right. Even tho I need glasses, at least the mind is still sharp as a butter knife!
Page 13, third paragraph states:

This book takes the above approach to every Maiden Special Weight race run at Santa Anita, Hollywood Park and Del Mar on the main track at distances from 4 1/2 furlongs to 8 1/2 furlongs. Data collection began in October of 1989 with the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita. The data collection period ended with the last Maiden Special Weight race run at Del Mar in September 1994. ....All comments and discussions refer to this group of races unless otherwise noted.

Hope this helps determine if this book would be of value for you.

Overlay
10-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks to you all. I knew that I could count on the members of the board for useful feedback.