PDA

View Full Version : YOU GUYS SEEM TO BE HAVING FUN WITH THIS WILD RIDE, ARE YOU ALL MAKING MONEY OFF IT?

pktruckdriver
10-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Reading this board there is no panic or fear here.

Y'all seem to be enjoying the wild ride, and have been preparing for it.

Am I right?

Otherwords y'all are salivating like hunrgy wolves, simply amazing.

Well it sure puts me at ease, and I hope y'all are right, and I tend to think y'all are, you seem to be a smart bunch, except for the horse playing part.

Well if you could invest in an APU Unit company and then provide me some credit to buy one of those dang things, it will make me profitable again, really it would.

Companies like,... Thermo King or Rigmaster or Flying J /CCS

About $9,500 $7,500 $6,800

Just out of reach for a poor broke truck driver like me, but if Y'all wolves start buying up everything in site, could one of Y'all buy one these companies, and then maybe give a good deal, PLEASE, It would be Greatly appreciated.

Well let me wish Y'all luck and hope y'all make a killing, doing what you do.

RaceBookJoe
10-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Just a quick answer.....yes and no. My trades are making me money, the couple of managed funds that i have are taking a beating. My mistake was not taking everything into my hands. As far as the wild ride...when you trade, thats all you want, up moves/down moves it doesnt really matter. I feel terrible for people who need their retirement money in the next year or so...they are the ones whose panic and fear is real. This might actually make the average person take matters into their own hands. Best of luck to you out there. rbj

ddog
10-10-2008, 11:42 AM
rbj,

i think that retirement money is 3-5 years at least away from coming back to them.

Under this stuff is the basic fact that I have thought held true for many years.

That is that lots and lots of the "good news" and earnings were built on ONLY paper shuffling and crazy gambles and that is not sustainable in the long run.

the odds catch up to you if you intend to remain geared-up forever.

RaceBookJoe
10-10-2008, 11:46 AM
rbj,

i think that retirement money is 3-5 years at least away from coming back to them.

Under this stuff is the basic fact that I have thought held true for many years.

That is that lots and lots of the "good news" and earnings were built on ONLY paper shuffling and crazy gambles and that is not sustainable in the long run.

the odds catch up to you if you intend to remain geared-up forever.

That why i said i feel bad for those people who need it very near-term. I agree to a point with the paper-shuffling.....thats why i try to 'buy the rumor, sell before the news' just dont always follow my brain. Even though I tend to know what to do overall...i dont always follow my brain. Just like when I talk myself off of a horse :bang:

pktruckdriver
10-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Can I play this game with only a thousand dollars?

That's right only a K, I am not doing any good with the horses, actually haven't bet on them in 3 months, and I may be able to scrounge up a grand.

I know it not much but when you're paycheck to paycheck that is alot, so what do you say, can I do it.

If so how?

Watching the news all it shows is people taking advantage of this ride, and not the people who must be losing in this major drop, where are these people, why are we not seeing them on any of the news channel's, they are there aren't they?

Ok thanks

Dave Schwartz
10-10-2008, 06:15 PM
That's right only a K, I am not doing any good with the horses, actually haven't bet on them in 3 months, and I may be able to scrounge up a grand.

This might be considered an improvement over the previous three months, no?

;)

LottaKash
10-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey Patrick,......As for me I am having no fun at all, as I trust Nothing and No One these days........I am retired and living on a fixed income, combining my disability Social Security and a pension fron a major oil company that I used to work for, and if the gov't folds and the oil co. goes under, I am f....d.....The only way for me to supplement my income is with the profits from this great game of ours, but I am always drawing on it and sometimes it is very un-comfy playing with scared money.........

Beyond that, I am clueless and very worried about what is transpiring, even as I write this.......

best,

RaceBookJoe
10-10-2008, 06:44 PM

I know it not much but when you're paycheck to paycheck that is alot, so what do you say, can I do it.

If so how?

Watching the news all it shows is people taking advantage of this ride, and not the people who must be losing in this major drop, where are these people, why are we not seeing them on any of the news channel's, they are there aren't they?

Ok thanks

PK..here is another "yes and no" answer. Yes the game CAN be played with 1K , but it probably shouldnt. With only 1K , you are limited in what you can buy and probably wouldnt be diversified. Now you can start out in options , but like stocks...with only 1k , you cannot start out on a losing streak. The other problem with options is, assuming you still need to learn the wall street game, you will also need to learn the options game. Options are probably the only realistic way to make your 1k grow quick though, but thats just my opinion. Just like handicapping horses, i wouldnt take a novice to the track and say "let just go bet some horses". I would tell them to learn the game first and then tip my toes in the water slowly. This is just a generic answer but i hope it sheds a little light for you. rbj

pktruckdriver
10-10-2008, 10:15 PM
RBJ

Thank you, you're probally right I should not get into what I do not know, and will actually take that advice, but I do wish to thank your posts, they have been very very informative to me and others on this board I am sure, so Thanks.

LottaKash

I pray for you and all of our retiree's,including my Dad also, he too supplements his income , needs too. Now we all know your knowledge of the Buggies is legendary and we're all awaiting your book. But in the mean time I know I will keep you in my prayers, and hope your situation does not worsen.

Dave

Now since I do know a little about horse's and have a laptop to help me, I am counting on you to help me possibly become profitable with HSH and since I have been studying and saving for a few months , I will always credit you with the ability to make that dream of becoming a successful player at this game, come true. Your patience and my persisitent desire is what keeps me going, knowing in time I will achieve success at this horse thing, thank you.
Even though I still try to hit a big one once in awhile, achieving profits in this game will happen thanks to Dave and his help, Thanks again.

US Government

Where is my Dag Nab APU unit, you should be handing them out to all Owner Operators, my God Saving 5600 gallons of fuel for each truck,each year should be worth it, that's over 20,000.00 a year in savings per truck. Those are real savings and conservation figures, all totally achievable.

Everyone Else

Stay focused, and do not panic, as bad as it gets, it is still America and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, well maybe Australia, they speak english , kinda, right? Honestly I hope if your retirement was affected that it will come back to you somehow, because so many here seem to think there is still lots of money to be made with this situation that is upon us, and if that is true, then maybe you can get your retirement fund back too, but that would entail alot of people working together wouldn't it, and this country should be able to do that, shouldn't it. I hope so and will keep the faith that it will be okay.

Thank you

pktruckdriver
10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Well the week is over and I guess this descibes what happened

Though I don't understand it all, but again it doesn''t have panc in it

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3683270/

DJofSD
10-11-2008, 09:46 AM

If so how?

Ok thanks
If a $1,000 is what you have that you can honestly risk without regret then yes, that'll allow you to play. The "rub" is going to be the cost to play -- the commissions -- are going to be a significant percentage of your bankroll and the delta you'll need to just break even will be that much greater.

Learn about ETFs. At various times in the last six months I've made a little bit using two of them: DUG and SKF. I used these when I had a strong opinion about the areas these two represent which is oil and financials, respectively. If I had a brass pair, I could have had a double with both of these.

One area I am looking at now is copper. I pay attention to what Dennis Gartman says and he's recently mentioned it as a leading indicator to the recovery of the world's economy. It might not be a play for 6 months or 2 years.

dutchboy
10-11-2008, 09:59 AM
The market will continue to drop. There are trillions of dollars invested in made up financial paper that cannot be valued. The accounting rule now is that it has to be valued at market cost or "mark to market"

Houses that sold for over 200k a couple of years ago can now be purchased for 80k. So all mortgages would now be valued at this lower cost. Florida real estate increased 60% in a few years and now is headed back to where it started or lower. All of the walk away mortgages and current mortgages even if the payments are being made must be revalued.

Nice to listen in the hearings the boys at AIG mention that bonuses to the executives were based on earnings before losses were subtracted.

Time to buy Black Tulips from Holland.

DJofSD
10-11-2008, 10:02 AM
There are trillions of dollars invested in made up financial paper that cannot be valued.This is now changing. On Friday, some CDS were sold at a little more than $0.08 on the dollar.

RaceBookJoe
10-11-2008, 11:09 AM
If a $1,000 is what you have that you can honestly risk without regret then yes, that'll allow you to play. The "rub" is going to be the cost to play -- the commissions -- are going to be a significant percentage of your bankroll and the delta you'll need to just break even will be that much greater.

Learn about ETFs. At various times in the last six months I've made a little bit using two of them: DUG and SKF. I used these when I had a strong opinion about the areas these two represent which is oil and financials, respectively. If I had a brass pair, I could have had a double with both of these.

One area I am looking at now is copper. I pay attention to what Dennis Gartman says and he's recently mentioned it as a leading indicator to the recovery of the world's economy. It might not be a play for 6 months or 2 years.

Hey DJ...ETF's are an area where most novices should really concentrate at first. You get to play a sector, without having to do all of the work digging down for individual stocks. Also, it saves time from having to learn company fundamentals...which to me are useless anyways. Youmight want to also check out DXD when the market is moving lower...it is a double reverse basically...just dont get caught on the wrong side haha. rbj