PDA

View Full Version : cAN SOME ONE ANSWER THESE , PLEASE

pktruckdriver
10-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Can someone tell the answers, please.

What is really going on?

Who exactly has lost what, money, stock value, what?

Who is jumping out the widows, now, or is any one?

What exactly does a point in the Dow value out at, what's it worth ?

How much money has the dow lost, even an estimate would be nice?

Who collects these lossess, or are they strickly value based lossess,
ie. ford was 100 per stock/share, now it is 3.00 a stock/share ... is this value based, but where does the 97.00 dollars go to...?

Who loses here, only people with ford stock, portfolios with ford in it?

401k's the heart of america's retirement funds, how bad is it for them and are they wiped out, and if so can they ever be fixed, or made up?

How can this be taken so lightly, this is a 3000 point drop, compared to both the 1987 and 1929 drops , it blows them both away, yet some how things seem calm, how can this be?

Is this just that the market is adjusting to where it really should be, in my opinion it seemed to high, kinda like an inflated value, similar to the inflated accounting practices of ENRON, and others, and i felt the market was over-inflated, am I kinda right, or way off base here?

Funny how there is no real finger pointing going on, why is that?

who do we blame for this, last depression was republican's, Hoover right?

Depression, well it remains to be seen, could we survive one if it came?

PLEASE ADD ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE IN THREAD, AS THERE ARE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT WILL BE ABLE TO ANSWER THEM , MOST LIKELY. THIS BOARD HAS SOME PRETTY BRIGHT MINDS ON IT, AND FEW UNEDUCATED(NO COLLEGE) TRUCK DRIVER'S TYPE TOO

THANK YOU FOR ANY QUESTIONS YOU CAN ANSWER OR ASK.

HUSKER55
10-09-2008, 10:21 PM
this was called attitude adjustment. In other words you paid $100 for a share of stock that is really only worth $3 and you got caught with your pants down.

highnote
10-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Lots of questions... the easy one to answer is this...

If you bought Ford at $100 and now it is $2, you have lost $98 on paper. You won't lose $98 until you sell it. If you hold it you may eventually get your money back -- if they don't go bankrupt.

That's why when someone asks Warren Buffett what his time horizon is for holding a stock, he says "forever".

Find quality companies and buy and hold.

If there is a depression we'll survive. Most of us will be in the same boat.

From what I've read the last depression happened because liquidity dried up. The Treasury is going to take that $700 billion and inject it into the banking system instead of buying up those toxic assets at inflated prices.

It's probably going to take at least 2 years to work off the toxic assets. The market will recover, but it could even take up to 10 years -- like in Japan.

Another way to look at this is "reversion to the mean". Mean is another word for average. So when the market goes up too high, it will fall. When it falls to low it will rise. Eventually it reverts to an average growth level -- reversion to the mean.

The key to investing is to have a long time horizon and buy quality assets. Speculating is a different animal.

I think you're right. The market was over bought -- over priced. Now it's probably oversold. People are panicking. Buy when their is blood in the streets. I'm not sure if there is blood in the streets, yet, but there are some pretty deep wounds.

I'm going to start buying after the election or after the first of the year. I want to see where this bailout will take us.

This is the political season. Both sides are pointing the finger at each other. Both sides are to blame. In my opinion, there wasn't enough regulation. As long as people were making money everyone looked the other way.

Warren Buffett warned of this scenario in his 2002 annual report. That's why he is called the Oracle of Omaha. That's also why he is sitting on one of the biggest piles of cash.

What is really going on?

ie. ford was 100 per stock/share, now it is 3.00 a stock/share ... is this value based, but where does the 97.00 dollars go to...?

401k's the heart of america's retirement funds, how bad is it for them and are they wiped out, and if so can they ever be fixed, or made up?

How can this be taken so lightly, this is a 3000 point drop, compared to both the 1987 and 1929 drops , it blows them both away, yet some how things seem calm, how can this be?

Is this just that the market is adjusting to where it really should be, in my opinion it seemed to high, kinda like an inflated value, similar to the inflated accounting practices of ENRON, and others, and i felt the market was over-inflated, am I kinda right, or way off base here?

PLEASE ADD ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE IN THREAD, AS THERE ARE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT WILL BE ABLE TO ANSWER THEM , MOST LIKELY. THIS BOARD HAS SOME PRETTY BRIGHT MINDS ON IT, AND FEW UNEDUCATED(NO COLLEGE) TRUCK DRIVER'S TYPE TOO

Valuist
10-09-2008, 11:57 PM

What is really going on?

Let's say you had one massive retirement account in an S & P 500 index fund. Let's say the fund was worth $1 million on the close of the day October 1. Now 8 days later, how much would the account be worth? About 783,000, or about 21.6% less than what it was worth on October 1.

MakinItHappen
10-10-2008, 12:50 AM

I'll take an off the top of the head stab at a few of your questions... I will preface this by saying this is "ballpark"...

1. What exactly does a point in the Dow value out at, what's it worth ?

Approximately $250,000,000

2. How much money has the dow lost, even an estimate would be nice?

Approximately $1,300,000,000 (keep in mind this is only 30 of the larger companies, total market losses are much larger)

3. Who collects these lossess, or are they strictly value based lossess,

Nobody collects these losses... POOF! Up in smoke! (sure some short sellers may have profited, but this # is a net loss). Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Kind of think of it like a home that was worth $250,000 a year ago that can now only be sold for $200,000.... Where did the $50,000 go? POOF! Just dissappeared! The stock market is not "parimutual" in structure, for every winner there is not necessarily a loser, and vice versa.

Hope that answers a few questions or at least provides a little ballpark perspective...

Best of Luck Everyone!

MakinItHappen

DeanT
10-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Back in 2003 the DOW was at 7600. Life wasn't too bad in 2003.

http://www.nyse.tv/dow-jones-industrial-average-history-djia.htm

As long as we don't go back to 1900 when it was at 68, we should be ok. I think people were washing their faces in buckets back then. I dont like that much.

lamboguy
10-10-2008, 01:53 AM
my mother used to ask the very same question, she was an imigrant from italy. i never knew the answer to her question until i grew up and saw a commercial on television for baron's magazine. a guy by the name of alan ableson used to say when you buy a stock, you are convinced that it is going up, the person selling it to you is equaly convinced it is going down.

there are always 2 parties involved in the transaction of any equity, the seller and the buyer. no one knows who actually are the 2 different parties. if you want to sell an equity someone else must be willing to buy it. he may want to pay less than you want for it, but there is a buyer. if the market maker in the equity cannot find a buyer, he puts up a price that he is willing to buy it from you for, and an amount of shares at that particular price. it could be ony 100 shares, or as many as you wish to sell him.

after all that i don't think i answered your question. so now i will. lets say you buy a brand new car and you pay $20,000 for it. 2 years later you decide to sell it, and now you can only get $10,000 for it. it comes down to you used the car for 2 years and for that it cost you $10,000. it has depreciated in that time. if you bought an antique car and held it 2 years, it might have gone up in value. in equities you either receive the same as you paid for it, or more or less.

pktruckdriver
10-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Thank you for your answers.

I know more now than I did yesterday, thank you very much.

So things really are not like 1929, at all, just a little house cleaning going on and then things will even out, and then back to normal, hopefully.

6000-8000 seems to be the range it should be in , and maybe it settles there, maybe not, if not then we may still be in trouble, no?

Again thanks

Valuist
10-10-2008, 07:50 AM

So things really are not like 1929, at all, just a little house cleaning going on and then things will even out, and then back to normal, hopefully.

6000-8000 seems to be the range it should be in , and maybe it settles there, maybe not, if not then we may still be in trouble, no?

Again thanks

I think the market would be grossly oversold in the 6000-8000 range.. One year ago, it was about 14,000.

pandy
10-10-2008, 08:30 AM

Again thanks

In 1929 there was no FDIC and that's a big difference between then and now. The great depression happened because no one had any money to spend, they either lost it in the stock market crash or lost their savings because the banks went bankrupt and there was no FDIC. Consequently, spending virtually stopped, and that killed businesses, and resulted in massive layoffs, 30% unemployment. I've been worried about a depression for years, but now that this is happening, I think we'll be ok and this will be a recession, not a depression. I can't see unemployment getting over 10%. Hopefully I'm right because anything can happen if people panic.

slewis
10-10-2008, 08:48 AM
You might want to read my post on "snapback Rally"

highnote
10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/27118839/site/14081545?__source=yahoo%7Cheadline%7Cquote%7Ctext% 7C&par=yahoo

The Dow's market cap fell by -7.60% or $237B in one day, from Wednesday's close to Thursday's close. At the Dow's current levels of about 8,251, the Dow is on track to lose almost another 4% in market cap today or about another $106B in market cap
*If the Dow closes around 8,251 Friday, it will have a two day loss in market cap of $343B

Friday's Market Cap Ranking of the Dow (top 10): (as of 1pm)
-Exxon (XOM) $321B
-Wal-mart (WMT) $196B
-Microsoft (MSFT) $194B
-General Electric (GE) $190B
-Procter & Gamble (PG) $176B
-Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) $157B
-JP Morgan (JPM) $133.6B
-AT&T (T) $133.5B
-Chevron (CVX) $123B
-IBM (IBM) $116.5B