PDA

View Full Version : Typical.... as I predicated

Track Phantom
10-09-2008, 06:39 PM
In June, Congress was all out to force reform in horse racing. There was a push to clean up the drug situation, care for hurt and retired horses and offer stiff penalties to those that break the rules. In addition, there was going to be more governance focused on the game, including tote board issues. Not to mention, a GOVERNING BODY, i.e. a commissioner to enforce rules and unify the game.

There was major pressure put on from all sides (PETA, Government, horse lovers, horse players, trainers, owners), etc.

Where did everyone go? Why has virtually nothing been done? The game of horse racing is run by a bunch of greedy, thinking only of self interest idiots. The majority of these people waited like sleeze until the ferver died down in order to go back to doing business as usual. No reform. No stiffer drug policies or drug testing. No saftey of horses. No governing body.

In my opinion, anyone who looks at this game more than they might a scratch off lottery ticket is kidding themselves. It is purly a gambling venture with almost zero attraction as it pertains to a sport.

I've read that handles have dipped, attendance have dipped, auction prices have dipped. People asked for, begged for, a better product. The people capable of providing a better product asked for the heat to die down so they could continue to gorge off of the players like a starving wolf over a dead carcus.

Charlie D
10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Don't worry about it

Get to Ozform and get capping

LottaKash
10-09-2008, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=
In my opinion, anyone who looks at this game more than they might a scratch off lottery ticket is kidding themselves. It is purly a gambling venture with almost zero attraction as it pertains to a sport. .[/QUOTE]

I suspect you might not be very good at this then.....Despite it all, I still cash enough of these Lottery Tickets to make it worth my while.....Not getting rich, but still having fun.......Not trying to be snooty, but some here do OK in the Lottery.....

best,

Track Phantom
10-09-2008, 08:54 PM
I suspect you might not be very good at this then.....Despite it all, I still cash enough of these Lottery Tickets to make it worth my while.....Not getting rich, but still having fun.......Not trying to be snooty, but some here do OK in the Lottery.....

best,

Please re-read what I wrote. Not about the betting or winning on bets. It is about the total collapse of the "sport". It isn't legitimate. Doesn't mean you cant collect on wagers.

Zman179
10-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Horse racing is not a sport and is nothing more than a gambling driven enterprise.

As far as regulation, etc., that isn't important. Right now, Congress is more concerned with trying to stave off a spiraling economy than with trying to protect horse racing from itself.

Track Phantom
10-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Horse racing is not a sport and is nothing more than a gambling driven enterprise.

As far as regulation, etc., that isn't important. Right now, Congress is more concerned with trying to stave off a spiraling economy than with trying to protect horse racing from itself.

Has nothing to do with the government. It has more to do with the racing industry and officials. They take absolutely ZERO proactive measures to improve the sport. The industry could have taken the point from the thousands of people that were upset with a variety of issues and worked for the betterment of the sport. However, they've chosen to slink back into "business as usual" which primarily means raising takeout, allowing or tolerating obvious cheating, turning a blind eye to slaughter or horse mistreatment, squables over ADW money that alienates customers. The list goes on and on.

LottaKash
10-10-2008, 04:06 AM
Please re-read what I wrote. Not about the betting or winning on bets. It is about the total collapse of the "sport". It isn't legitimate. Doesn't mean you cant collect on wagers.

Hey Valento, my apologies if I had misinterpreted your post....Please forgive me as I am aging and I think I may have Alzheimers or something, besides, that was Harry, so please ignore him.......:lol:

best.

DanG
10-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Despite it all, I still cash enough of these Lottery Tickets to make it worth my while.....Not getting rich, but still having fun.......Not trying to be snooty, but some here do OK in the Lottery.....
Sorry; I had to quote this to convince myself I actually read it…:faint:

Side bar to LottaKash; By “Horse Country” in Florida I’m assuming you mean Ocala. Please ask your neighbors in the thoroughbred business the wonderful effect the lottery has had in this state on their chosen profession.

I agree with the premise that we need to market the gambling aspects to grow / having said that I don’t agree with the premise that we are not a “sport”.

What is a sport?

Definition from ‘Dictionary.com: “Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.”

Are we a physical activity? Yes
Are we governed by rules? Don’t laugh, :D but in the strictest sense…Yes.
Are we a competitive enterprise? Yes
Conclusion: We are a “sport” that has tremendous inter-state gambling leverage that has yet to be exploited.

BTW: My apologies for getting off topic…The ‘lottery is a very sore subject with me. Just the word is like saying “Niagara Falls” in an Abbott and Costello routine. :eek:

BUD
10-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Niagara Falls!! Slowly I Turn....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfHnLHUhdA&feature=related

Track Phantom
10-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Sorry; I had to quote this to convince myself I actually read it…:faint:

Side bar to LottaKash; By “Horse Country” in Florida I’m assuming you mean Ocala. Please ask your neighbors in the thoroughbred business the wonderful effect the lottery has had in this state on their chosen profession.

I agree with the premise that we need to market the gambling aspects to grow / having said that I don’t agree with the premise that we are not a “sport”.

What is a sport?

Definition from ‘Dictionary.com: “Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.”

Are we a physical activity? Yes
Are we governed by rules? Don’t laugh, :D but in the strictest sense…Yes.
Are we a competitive enterprise? Yes
Conclusion: We are a “sport” that has tremendous inter-state gambling leverage that has yet to be exploited.

BTW: My apologies for getting off topic…The ‘lottery is a very sore subject with me. Just the word is like saying “Niagara Falls” in an Abbott and Costello routine. :eek:

Agree with the definition of a sport. However, in the spirit of what makes a "sport" great is the possibility of extraodrinary and great achievments.

LottaKash
10-10-2008, 05:57 PM

Hey DanG, Yes to living near Ocala...And Yes to the Lottery having had a profound effect on the livlielhoods of many people working in and associated with the Horse Breeding culture and Racing in this state.... With racing in general dwindling throughout the USA, and when combined with alternative forms of gambling, it seems the demand for horses has lessened, and as a result, Florida, still being the most prodigious of all the states in the breeding industry, has been adversely affected in the trickle down...A tragedy at best....

best,