PDA

View Full Version : Another great Govt idea flushed

wonatthewire1
10-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Remember, just a few years ago, when all the talk was about getting people to invest some of their SS money into the stock market?

I remember hearing about 20 somethings gettin' all worked up about it and Prez Bush flailing around with the notion of everybody becoming an owner in the new ownership society.

Where are those 20 somethings now? With all their brashness - cowering on the sidelines or worse, seeing their small barely started 401k or IRA in the toilet!

Could you imagine Grammy and Grandpa right about now with all that SS money in the markets - gettin' hammered day in and day out - with no end in sight...

Guess we won't be hearing abt that idea again for a long time...

May even have the 2nd coming before then!

:faint:

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Whoever said it was your God-given right to have the stock market only go in one direction - UP?

ddog
10-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Whoever said it was your God-given right to have the stock market only go in one direction - UP?

Uh, i think that may have been Kudlow??

Oh, how's that 2500 point idea working so far?
off about 2250 or so since that, how DOES he know these things??

:lol:

wonatthewire1
10-09-2008, 08:47 PM

Just remembering what was being "sold" to the public

Gee, I know that you have a difficult time comprehending stuff - please advise as to where I said anything about "up, up, up"?

Didn't think so...

Ya think that I should sell my spx "palin puts" that I bought in September? The ones where I was derided for saying that the market didn't seem to happy with the choice - like the nazzy dropping 6% in 6 days - oh those days of small drops! Sometimes, it just feels right and the bank account is a'swelling up - hope yours is too!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brings back some great memories - I was studying with Justin Mamis at the time - right out of grad school and we shorted BMY 3 weeks before the crash of '87.

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Steve 'StatMan'
10-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Who said everyone who takes over their own SS management had to invest 100% of that money in the stock market?

I'm sure many fools would have gone 100% stocks, but retirement funds really aren't something to go 100% risky with.

But I'm sure the media would tells us all about them, and that it govement policy, not bad intesting strategy, that would be at fault. Of course, if SS does go bankrupt in the early-mid 2000's, what will the media be telling us and who will they be blaming.

Sure hope we get enough real repesentatives working together instead of a set of full compliment of politican assholes.

JustRalph
10-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Remember, just a few years ago, when all the talk was about getting people to invest some of their SS money into the stock market?

I remember hearing about 20 somethings gettin' all worked up about it and Prez Bush flailing around with the notion of everybody becoming an owner in the new ownership society.

Where are those 20 somethings now? With all their brashness - cowering on the sidelines or worse, seeing their small barely started 401k or IRA in the toilet!

Could you imagine Grammy and Grandpa right about now with all that SS money in the markets - gettin' hammered day in and day out - with no end in sight...

Guess we won't be hearing abt that idea again for a long time...

May even have the 2nd coming before then!

:faint:

Get your facts straight.....no plan proposed by bush or mccain would have had any affect on anybody relying on social security right now......not even close

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/obamas_social_security_whopper.html

In Daytona Beach, Obama said that "if my opponent had his way, the millions of Floridians who rely on it would've had their Social Security tied up in the stock market this week." He referred to "elderly women" at risk of poverty, and said families would be scrambling to support "grandmothers and grandfathers."

That's not true. The plan proposed by President Bush and supported by McCain in 2005 would not have allowed anyone born before 1950 to invest any part of their Social Security taxes in private accounts. All current retirees would be covered by the same benefits they are now.
Obama would have been correct to say that many workers under age 58 would have had some portion of their Social Security benefits affected by the current market turmoil – if they had chosen to participate. And market drops would be a worry for those who retire in future decades. But current retirees would not have been affected.

Boris
10-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Enlighten me. Where is Grammy and Grandpa's money invested today?

Is a 30 year old man or woman's monthly contribution safer today in the care of the gov't than in their own control?

NoDayJob
10-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Enlighten me. Where is Grammy and Grandpa's money invested today?

At the race track, of course---

Tom
10-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Anyone actually think they will ever see any of their SS money? :lol::lol::lol: