PDA

View Full Version : For an idea of how serious Kentucky is about

rrbauer
10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
improving the betting integrity in their state check out this report from their committee meeting held Monday:

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/live-blogging-kentuckys-racing-task-force-on-integrity/

Do I laugh or cry?

cj
10-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I am seriously starting to think it is time to find a new endeavor.

Jake
10-08-2008, 06:09 PM

CJ,

You're very solid here. Any chance you want to expand your commets ? I make my living these days trading off of prime bets, and as far as I can see nothing has changed relative to my play requirements. Curious relative to what you are seeing....?

Jake

cj
10-08-2008, 06:19 PM
CJ,

You're very solid here. Any chance you want to expand your commets ? I make my living these days trading off of prime bets, and as far as I can see nothing has changed relative to my play requirements. Curious relative to what you are seeing....?

Jake

I'm just tired of being taken for granted. I like winning money as much as the next guy, but there are much easier ways to make money. Here are a few things that I am having a really hard time with these days:

I currently need 3 accounts to bet MOST, not all, tracks onshore.
I'm sick of odds being all over the place after the race starts.
Information is poor and about 30 years behind modern technology.
Takeout is not getting any lower, and probably will go higher.
Field sizes stink
Pools are too small
Would anyone go to the local Walmart if they flipped you off on the way in, made you buy stuff and told you the price later, charged others different prices for the same items, used a 1955 cash register or credit card machine, and customer service consisted of three old guys who decided if you could return your item after listening to you and the clerk's story? Oh, and charged you to park and enter the store as well...how could I forget?

cj's dad
10-08-2008, 06:27 PM
What a clueless, inept group of individuals on the board. Very typical of corporate America where they sit around and congratulate each other on what a fine job they are doing and nothing ever gets accomplished.

Jake
10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm just tired of being taken for granted. I like winning money as much as the next guy, but there are much easier ways to make money. Here are a few things that I am having a really hard time with these days:

Field sizes stink
Pools are too small
Would anyone go to the local Walmart if they flipped you off on the way in, made you buy stuff and told you the price later, charged others different prices for the same items, used a 1955 cash register or credit card machine, and customer service consisted of three old guys who decided if you could return your item after listening to you and the clerk's story? Oh, and charged you to park and enter the store as well...how could I forget?

I appreciate your answers. It's amazing to see how inefficient this has become, given how easy it is to correct the problems. With the economy and stocks tanking, racing will go south as well. This is a critical time for racing, and no one is stepping up to make the appropriate choices. It does
not look good long term.

rrbauer
10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
I appreciate your answers. It's amazing to see how inefficient this has become, given how easy it is to correct the problems. With the economy and stocks tanking, racing will go south as well. This is a critical time for racing, and no one is stepping up to make the appropriate choices. It does
not look good long term.

It's already crossed into Florida!

As a bettor, here's the scary part about all the pre-race testing that they are going to do at the BC (slighty OT here): HOW DO WE KNOW WHICH HORSES HAVE BEEN USING THE PROHIBITED MEDICATIONS/DRUGS/ETC. UP UNTIL NOW; BUT, WON'T BE USING THEM TO ENHANCE THEIR PERFORMANCES IN THE BC RACES BECAUSE OF THE TESTING?

Charlie D
10-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi CJ

I think bettors are taken for granted

If you were in charge, what would you do to try and make racing attractive

cj
10-08-2008, 08:02 PM

As a bettor, here's the scary part about all the pre-race testing that they are going to do at the BC (slighty OT here): HOW DO WE KNOW WHICH HORSES HAVE BEEN USING THE PROHIBITED MEDICATIONS/DRUGS/ETC. UP UNTIL NOW; BUT, WON'T BE USING THEM TO ENHANCE THEIR PERFORMANCES IN THE BC RACES BECAUSE OF THE TESTING?

Exactly...we always play second fiddle to the horsemen, when we should at least be on equal grounds.

cj
10-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi CJ

I think bettors are taken for granted

I don't have the time right now to give this the time it deserves. Give me until tomorrow...

I'll say this first and foremost. Promote it as gambling and not a sport.

foregoforever
10-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi CJ

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a solution. Racing is currently run by the horsemen, for the horsemen. And in too many cases, by the horsemen who inherited the most money from their fathers. And on the government side, by way too many political patronage appointees who barely know which end of the horse is which.

The model we should hope for is Australia. A central racing authority that sets the rules of racing. Subordinate, regional racing authorities (for each state in Australia) that allocate racing dates. Individual racing clubs within the states that run the races. A three-level track classification system (country, provincial, metropolitan) and more standard, logical race classifications. A more rational system of graded stakes. No drugs. A wagering setup that offers both licensed bookmakers and parimutuel pools, with the option of fixed-odds betting. An enforcement system with real teeth, where jockeys and trainers are hauled before the stewards for any shady behavior and given long suspensions when needed.

But it's never going to happen. The horsemen are too firmly entrenched, and the government views racing as simply a revenue stream.

The absolute worst thing that has happened is the funneling of slots money into the sport ... money that is completely undeserved by the horsemen, and that covers up all the problems and prevents any serious attempts to reform the sport. Areas that don't shovel the money to the horsemen, such as Maryland, are driven out of the business. Those that do are going to figure out sooner or later that they could eliminate the horse hand-out and keep all the slots money and do much better for the state. When that happens, it all collapses.

Sorry to be so pessimistic about it. I really wish there was a way out. At least I can watch and play Australia over the internet.

Spectacular Sid
10-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a solution. Racing is currently run by the horsemen, for the horsemen. And in too many cases, by the horsemen who inherited the most money from their fathers. And on the government side, by way too many political patronage appointees who barely know which end of the horse is which.

The model we should hope for is Australia. A central racing authority that sets the rules of racing. Subordinate, regional racing authorities (for each state in Australia) that allocate racing dates. Individual racing clubs within the states that run the races. A three-level track classification system (country, provincial, metropolitan) and more standard, logical race classifications. A more rational system of graded stakes. No drugs. A wagering setup that offers both licensed bookmakers and parimutuel pools, with the option of fixed-odds betting. An enforcement system with real teeth, where jockeys and trainers are hauled before the stewards for any shady behavior and given long suspensions when needed.

But it's never going to happen. The horsemen are too firmly entrenched, and the government views racing as simply a revenue stream.

The absolute worst thing that has happened is the funneling of slots money into the sport ... money that is completely undeserved by the horsemen, and that covers up all the problems and prevents any serious attempts to reform the sport. Areas that don't shovel the money to the horsemen, such as Maryland, are driven out of the business. Those that do are going to figure out sooner or later that they could eliminate the horse hand-out and keep all the slots money and do much better for the state. When that happens, it all collapses.

Sorry to be so pessimistic about it. I really wish there was a way out. At least I can watch and play Australia over the internet.

Very interesting about Australia. Your probably right that our country's industry is incapable of changing because of the entrenchment of the people you mention.

cj's dad
10-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Excellent and until now unmentioned, and on my part not thought of, point of view. I think the smartest thing to do on BC day(s) is to bet another more familiar track where at least we have an idea of what to expect.

cj's dad
10-08-2008, 09:55 PM

How bout cattle rustlin' :lol:

Charlie D
10-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Very interesting about Australia. Your probably right that our country's industry is incapable of changing because of the entrenchment of the people you mention.

If they don't change they may be wondering what has happened to their industry in a few years when us old farts die off and young uns are all sports betting or betting on Oz racing

Imriledup
10-08-2008, 10:51 PM

Field sizes stink
Pools are too small

Great post, dead on.

Not to mention all the drugs and the inside big money who knows who's getting the right bursts at the right time. Add in the conflict of interest that tracks have to create large carryovers also.

Racing has ZERO leadership. Everyone is doing their own thing for the money grab. Everyone is about me and about now. None of these CD, inc, magnas or NYRAs care about the game going forward, all they care about is how they can squeeze every last nickel out of the bettors.

They aren't thinking long term, no one out there has any leadership, its dog eat dog, and its a shame.

cj
10-08-2008, 11:35 PM
How bout cattle rustlin' :lol:

I was considering coming back to Baltimore and teaching people to read!

DeanT
10-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Field sizes stink
Pools are too small

You inspired me.

* I currently need 3 accounts to bet MOST, not all, tracks onshore.
* I'm sick of odds being all over the place after the race starts.
* Information is poor and about 30 years behind modern technology.
* Takeout is not getting any lower, and probably will go higher.
* Field sizes stink
* Pools are too small

For most of us who are businessmen we would be attacking these issues. Three accounts? Well how about updating the Donna Summer 1978 Horseracing Act to say that "if you offer wagering across state lines you have to offer it to everyone who wants it at the same price". Odds all over the place? Well, let's get fixed odds betting instituted. Pool technology out of date? Well since I can buy a put option on the Nikkei exchange from my laptop in the middle of the night, gotta figure there is something for us to do there. Takeouts? Well my business knows that when revenue is down, we should not be hiking prices. Heck my 11 year old nephew knows that when he is not selling lemonade, he should not raise his price. Seemingly simple, but in our game it is like splitting an atom, while simultaneously writing a best-seller while on a date with my wife Carmen Electra.

sandpit
10-10-2008, 08:29 AM
For most of us who are businessmen we would be attacking these issues. Three accounts? Well how about updating the Donna Summer 1978 Horseracing Act to say that "if you offer wagering across state lines you have to offer it to everyone who wants it at the same price". Odds all over the place? Well, let's get fixed odds betting instituted. Pool technology out of date? Well since I can buy a put option on the Nikkei exchange from my laptop in the middle of the night, gotta figure there is something for us to do there. Takeouts? Well my business knows that when revenue is down, we should not be hiking prices. Heck my 11 year old nephew knows that when he is not selling lemonade, he should not raise his price. Seemingly simple, but in our game it is like splitting an atom, while simultaneously writing a best-seller while on a date with my wife Carmen Electra.

Dean, someone should appoint you National Racing Czar.

Charlie D
10-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I currently need 3 accounts to bet MOST, not all, tracks onshore .

I have to use UK bookies for some tracks

How dumb is that

Surley i should be using US based firms like PTC etc

DeanT
10-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Sandpit,

I'm just a dumb horseplayer.

But, it looks like Wladrop wants the job:

http://www.ntra.com/blog.aspx?blogid=15&year=2008&month=10&day=9