PDA

View Full Version : Probelm with Accessing Documents in Microsoft Word

Overlay
10-05-2008, 02:38 AM
I don't go into Microsoft Word on my computer that often, although I do have several documents stored there that I have typed in the past. But now, when I try to access the program (MicrosoftWord 2000 which, despite its age, has never given me any problems until now) by clicking on the Microsoft Word icon on my desktop, I get the program window and logo as if it's going to load, but then after the logo goes away, all I'm left with is a blank screen that doesn't respond to commands. When I call up "My Documents" (rather than clicking on the Word icon on my desktop), my files come up as if they're still there, but when I click on individual files, I get the same response after the program starts to load. After I unlock the Word program with Ctrl+Alt+Delete, I get an error message that says:

Problem caused by Microsoft Office 2000: consider upgrading

Your computer experienced a problem that caused Microsoft Office 2000 to crash.

This product, which was created by Microsoft Corporation, entered its "Extended Support" phase on 1-Jul-04. For more information about Microsoft Corporation support cycles, see the More information section below.

Recommendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider upgrading to the latest version of Microsoft Office to receive full support.

Click to go online and learn how to upgrade

We also recommend that you periodically go online to the Office Update website to ensure that your computer has the latest updates to Microsoft Office.

Office Update

Click for more information about Microsoft Support Lifecycles

Although Microsoft Office 2000 is in its "Extended Support" phase, you can continue to use it. The Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy outlines how long Microsoft will provide technical support for products and has no effect on how long you can use a product.

Go online to learn more about the Microsoft Support Lifecycle and the Office Support Lifecycle:

Microsoft Support Lifecycle

Office Support Lifecycle

Should I have to upgrade, since the message I received says that the 2000 version can still be used? If I upgrade as suggested, will I still have access to my old files, or do I need to save them to another medium before I start the upgrade process? Can my files be saved (even though they're listed on My Documents) if I can't access them through my normal means, or have I lost them?

barn32
10-05-2008, 04:15 AM
Instead of using the shortcut icon try going into the folder where Word resides. See if you can open it from there first.

Also, if worse comes to worst you can use Open Office. (http://www.openoffice.org/) You should be able to open your documents from there--and it's free.

robert99
10-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Or reinstall Word 2000 if you still have it.

Dave Schwartz
10-05-2008, 09:19 PM
... or try to talk the DOJ to go after Microsoft again for their unethical business practices.

Good luck with this one.

dutchboy
10-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Have you tried open office 3.0 available at open office.org? I have it in addition to ms office.

This is a list of ms office program word files it will open:

word 6.0 doc
word 95.doc
word 97/2000/xp.doc
word 2003 xml

It is a free program and may not have all of microsoft's features but it is a pretty nice program. A lot of people may be surprised with the features if they give it a try.

If your documents are still on your pc you might be able to use open office to open them.

JustRalph
10-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Word is hanging. several reasons why it can happen, check the link below

http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/troubleshootin1/qt/safemode.htm

Years back all you had to do was delete "normal.dot" and restart the computer. Btw, this can happen if you are very low on memory/resources. I would recommend a complete system restart prior to troubleshooting

several other reasons why it can happen.
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?mode=r&query=word+2000+hangs+when+opening&spid=global&catalog=LCID%3D1033&1033comm=1&res=20