PDA

View Full Version : Resignation from Cub Nation

goforgin
10-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Dear Mr. Hendry,

Please accept this letter as my formal resignation from Cub Nation. After 51 years of loyal cheering and support, it's time for me to move on. I'm tired of walking the ledge. As in accordance with the bylaws of such Nation, last night I doused my Cub ball cap, jersey and sweatshirt with gasoline and set it aflame. As I stood there in the backyard and watched the smoke go up into the cool October night, I felt a sudden release of anxiety as if the weight of the world was no longer mine to carry. 51 years of pain and agony suddenly gone. Like I was set free. Smoldering blue and red, the flames and the '69 collapse. The '77 June Swoon, up 8 1/2 games only to go 20 and 40 the rest of the way. The Heartbreak of '84 as Leon watched a routine grounder wicket through his legs. The 2001 debacle. My god 2003. Can you say "Bartman" and another ball through the wicket. I die in agony eve ry year, like drowning in 3 inches of water.

But, I really thought 2008 was going to be the year. An even 100 since we last won. Sweet Lou. Hell, the city was shutting off alcohol after the 7th inning in preparation before the first pitch was even thrown. The date for the parade was set. But, last night the demons came back. Was I dreaming? This can only happen in the "X Files"! Where's Mulder and Scully for heavens sake? Father Merrin, vanquish the demons, please! I'll eat the green pea soup! But no, as we butcher ground ball after ground ball like a meat cutter behind the counter at La Chicita. No pitching and no hitting. The horror, the horror.

In closing, I wish you and all of the other members well. As I walk away, I turn and look back. Yes, I see the ball tee'd up as usual. I want so desperately to run up and try to kick it again, but after 100 years I know too well that's Lucy masquerading in that Cubbie bear outfit. "Okay, maybe, just one more time". No, I can't do it anymore. So I move on, hell I'm free, free as a bird now.

Sincerely,
"Freebird" Jim

Steve 'StatMan'
10-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I understand, Jim. I can't figure out why they fell apart again in the first 2 playoff games. It is always hard to win in the playoffs when the best teams overall face each other. Best to be the hottest team in October than the best team over the season but not hot during October. Even harder to make the World Series since all the expansion - back in 1908, there were only 8 teams in each league - now there are 16 NL teams and 14 AL teams, twice as many posibilities.

I don't believe in any of the jinx crap that has been the subsitute for World Series success stories for the Cubs Nation. All the playoff and old World Series teams were separate athletes, facing separate competetors, with different factors affecting each player and every game.

Well, it have been 100 years since the last World Series win. We've waited until all the players from that game are dead, as well as probably any fan who was at that game - any that might have been were probably too young to remember too many details anymore. No one even heard those winning World Series games on the radio - it hadn't been invented yet!

Hopefully it'll happen within our lifetimes, but yes, I long ago removed a Cubs World Series win as a requirement for a fulfilled life. Became a 2 team fan when I moved to Chicagoland and can appreciate and cheer for the White Sox as well, and was thrilled for them in 2005, after their 80-plus year drought. I root for both teams, and enjoy watching good baseball when I can. But since I'm not playing on teams roster, it'll always be a glad 'They Won' for me, rather than a 'We Won'. We can cheer them on, but our team has to come through. With Cubs down 0-2 now, and White Sox down 0-1 with Game 2 starting in 20 minutes, hopefully one or both can put some runs together, play good October ball and pull this thing off.

I'm reminded of the joke about the moron who kept hitting themself over their head with a baseball bat, because "it feels so good when I stop." In the case of the Cubs (and until 3 years ago, the White Sox), "It'll feel so good when they finally win." Or maybe as a "Freebird", you'll find it feels so good now that you stopped.

Ok, back to assuming the position, at least for me: :bang:

ddog
10-03-2008, 05:54 PM
they can say what they want about ManRam, I would take him in a heartbeat baby.

There's something to be said for being loosey goosey in the "pressure" games.

Valuist
10-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Its one thing to lose but they absolutely sucked. All phases; pitching, fielding, hitting and coaching.

OTM Al
10-03-2008, 07:09 PM
It ain't over, but it ain't good either. That goat is a hard customer.

DanG
10-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Each year brings different “reasons” to the table and this one certainly has some interesting ones imo.

You gentlemen follow your Cubs much closer then I; but I was wondering…”where were the fresh arms from the minors down the stretch”. :confused: With your lead; every staff (and key position players) would benefit from a “breather” before their asked to throw their maximum in the playoffs.

I realize you weren’t playing teams out of it and Pinella is to be commended from the standpoint of league integrity…but from the Cub’s standpoint they really never had a chance to exhale. That is a Pinella trait btw and fans of Seattle could tell you how hard they drove with an II digit lead and just like a thoroughbred that peaked before the BC they were firing blanks at the Yankee’s.

Having said that…Win game-3 in LA and its amazing how different the world looks in these 5 game series. Suddenly LA knows they don’t want that flight back to Chicago and the pressure almost reverses.

BTW: While I’m not a believer in curses….if there was one with the “goat”…it was transferred to Bartman. That poor SOB deserves an apology from the entire city right down to the Governor who threw him under the bus on national TV! :bang: What a disgrace the way this poor sap was treated!

In closing; I miss Harry and he would have put this in perspective as only he could in between ice cold Old Style’s and / or Budweiser’s. :ThmbUp:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/Jabroni305/Harry%20Carey/Harry1.jpg

Valuist
10-04-2008, 09:45 AM
They did bring up Samardzjia, the kid who was the wide receiver for Notre Dame a couple years ago. He's got a great arm. But that said, I don't think fatigue was the problem. They've played tight in the first 2 games. Dempster was incredibly wild in game 1; his release point was clearly off as he was continously wild high. I don't blame Zambrano for game 2. Most of what he gave up was unearned and when your infield makes 4 errors, you aren't going to win. There was a case to be made for starting Harden in game 1 although the problem with him is his high strikeout and walk numbers make it tough for him to go past 6 innings because his pitch counts get so high.......and he's had some arm problems anyways.

slewis
10-04-2008, 10:09 AM
I've been a die hard fan since I was 10... 40 yrs of this stuff.

I watched probably 130 games this yr.

I watched Dempster in game one scared to death out there. He was hyper-ventilating while trying to breathe. This is why he failed so miserably as a relief pitcher. As a starter, he was able to relax, no pressure at first, get a good rhythm going and get confidenence.

Game 2 was just a bad bad game. Zambrano didn't pitch badly and should have gotten out of the mess, but you know in a short series, all it takes is for the breaks to go against you and you're screwed. Ask the 69 Orioles.

I think Torre and the Dodger staff have done a great job scouting the cub weaknesses especially hitters weaknesses.

As a Cub fan.... I'm still hoping..... as a realist, this season's history.

DanG
10-04-2008, 10:14 AM
They did bring up Samardzjia, the kid who was the wide receiver for Notre Dame a couple years ago. He's got a great arm. But that said, I don't think fatigue was the problem. They've played tight in the first 2 games. Dempster was incredibly wild in game 1; his release point was clearly off as he was continously wild high. I don't blame Zambrano for game 2. Most of what he gave up was unearned and when your infield makes 4 errors, you aren't going to win. There was a case to be made for starting Harden in game 1 although the problem with him is his high strikeout and walk numbers make it tough for him to go past 6 innings because his pitch counts get so high.......and he's had some arm problems anyways.
You could very well be right;

IMO: I think it is a collective psychological fatigue more then anything that gets teams over the 162 game grind. The Cub’s did their part by dominating their division and never came up for air in the last month.

rastajenk
10-05-2008, 12:00 AM
It's lookin' bleak. :jump:

LottaKash
10-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey goforgin.........Once a Cubbie, Always a Cubbie.....you can't quit, it is in your blood and under your skin, and you are stuck with it for life........:jump:

best,

thruncy
10-05-2008, 03:08 AM
You've gotta know, that for most of their pre-Tribune Co. history, the Cubs "organization" has been a study in mismanagement. Fran Allison, of Kukla Fran & Ollie fame did spots on Chicago TV standing in the morning sunshine behind the third base dugout imploring folks to "spend a day in the sun at beautiful Wrigley Field."...No mention of the team that played there. Greg Maddox has outlined his mismanaged early career in in depth interviews. They once had Ralph Kiner and Hank Sauer playing left & right field because they hit home runs; but gave away more runs than they drove in or scored. They traded Lou Brock into the Hall Of Fame....So look at it this way: For most of the !00 year drought the boys have just been entertaining you; if you had been interested in a team that was serious about playing baseball, you would have headed for 35th & Shields. Geez, y'all loved Dennis Rodman, whatsa matter?

Sailwolf
10-05-2008, 08:47 AM
3 down and 3 out :bang:

What is this world coming to?

headhawg
10-05-2008, 10:10 AM
What is this world coming to?I've already been called a bitter White Sox fan, but isn't this just the natural order of things? I mean, it's been 100 years after all.

Valuist
10-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Why do White Sox fans obsess about the Cubs? Given a choice, most would rather see the Cubs lose a game than their own team win. Cubs fans don't care about the Sox. I don't root against the Sox. Actually I don't mind the team; as for their fans, that's a different story.

GaryG
10-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Why do White Sox fans obsess about the Cubs? Given a choice, most would rather see the Cubs lose a game than their own team win. Cubs fans don't care about the Sox. I don't root against the Sox. Actually I don't mind the team; as for their fans, that's a different story.I saw the same thing on the west coast. Angel fans loathe the Dodgers but most Dodger fans could not care less what the Angels do. Also, San Diego has tried for a long time to be the Dodgers' rival, but the only real rivals are the hated Giants. It always seemed to me that the Giants had the most mean-spirited fans. Battery chuckers, mother stabbers, father rapers (sorry Arlo).

racefinder2
10-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Im not a fanatic but wanted to see them win.

The playoffs are all about momentum, not regular season records.
Momentum just went against them after that grand slam in the first game.

Then they just choked up after that, in a team effort.
Man, the Dodgers were ON, no doubt about that.

The Cubs have to get used to being in the playoffs and stepping up. I think they just were believing in their season record and didnt recognize the toughness necessary to win in the playoffs. Sort of like an allowance horse beating mid level opposiiton handily, then stepping up to a gr I.

As far as the Bartman incident, well, there were other guys they could have gotten out(!). And that team was far more solid than this yr.

thruncy
10-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Like to see the Cubs lose as much as the vast majority of reasonable people in the United States (and abroad) will revel in the departure of George W. Bush from power....Their intelligence was repeatedly insulted.They once tried to be Cub fans; but the drunken circus at Clark & Addison drove them to 35th & Shields. You had to have been there--all you electric, tuned in, turned on TV geeks. Guess what? Contrary to what John Madden says, the Bear's TRADITION--with the exception of 1985--is at Wrigley Field, not Soldier Field. They had more NFL Championships than anybody in 1951, the year the "Go-GO" White Sox set out to win with pitching, speed, & defense. This year's edition is very uncharacteristic for a White Sox team.

OTM Al
10-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Same thing happens in NY with Yankees and Mets fans Valuist, so Chicago doesn't have a monopoly there.

headhawg
10-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Why do White Sox fans obsess about the Cubs? Given a choice, most would rather see the Cubs lose a game than their own team win. Cubs fans don't care about the Sox. I don't root against the Sox. Actually I don't mind the team; as for their fans, that's a different story.Obsess is quite the overstatement. Maybe we are just sick and tired of all of the media coverage such a loser of a team as the Cubs gets in Chicago. When the Sox were fighting for their playoff lives in 2005 the media was still focused on the Cubs who were -- as per their norm -- clearly out of it. Why should White Sox fans have to play second fiddle in this town to the followers of the most inept team in the history of baseball?

I have plenty of friends who are Cubs fans. I didn't rub their faces in it in 2005, and I didn't call or email them with snide comments when they were just swept in a year when they were supposed to win it all. I didn't say anything because they are my friends and I feel sorry for them. Here, of course, it is a different story.

(Sung to the tune of Jingle Bells, just in time for the holidays)

CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE
CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE
Cursing all the way !!!
Oh!, what fun . . .
It was to watch . . .
The FLUBS get swept by L.A.

- Anon -

Oh. And back on topic -- congrats goforgin. I hope that you enjoy your newly found freedom.

Valuist
10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
How's that series against the Tampa Bay Rays working out for you South Siders. I hope all your airfare to Boston or Anaheim was refundable tickets. :lol:

Steve 'StatMan'
10-06-2008, 08:26 PM
How's that series against the Tampa Bay Rays working out for you South Siders. I hope all your airfare to Boston or Anaheim was refundable tickets. :lol:

Yup! Good reasons for fans of only one of the two teams to hurl insults back & forth across town.

Ok, Let's Go Bears!

Steve 'StatMan'
10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Have to close out a baseball comment by saying we, despite the playoff losses, we were blessed this year in Chicago with two good baseball teams, both getting to the post-season for the first time in 102 years! Cubs with the best record in the NL, and the White Sox winning their division in exciting fashion despite losing their leading home run hitter for the season. Great baseball on both sides of town - they just didn't win the first round of the "post-season tournament." But they were both darn good teams this season - gave us some good thrills.

DanG
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Have to close out a baseball comment by saying we, despite the playoff losses, we were blessed this year in Chicago with two good baseball teams, both getting to the post-season for the first time in 102 years! Cubs with the best record in the NL, and the White Sox winning their division in exciting fashion despite losing their leading home run hitter for the season. Great baseball on both sides of town - they just didn't win the first round of the "post-season tournament." But they were both darn good teams this season - gave us some good thrills.
Good post…

This is NOT directed at any Red Sox fan directly, but just a general observation in the spirit of what Steve wrote;

I’ve been going to Ray’s games since I’ve lived here. When Boston comes in obviously many of their fans are here. Before Boston won the whole enchilada a few years back there was a completely different attitude among many of their fans at the Trop. Great people really / they had a real respect for the game and the home teams fans.

Since the World Series win and especially since the 2nd that dynamic has clearly changed imo. There is arrogance and a sense of entitlement that is very obvious to most in this town.

In regards to Steve’s attitude that was always was the predominate one in Chicago I remember and added to a great atmosphere. I would be careful what you wish for…maybe the game just for the sake of it isn’t such a bad thing.

headhawg
10-06-2008, 11:38 PM
How's that series against the Tampa Bay Rays working out for you South Siders. I hope all your airfare to Boston or Anaheim was refundable tickets. :lol:Wow. What a clever retort. :rolleyes:

But what can we expect from a fan of a 97 win team with World Series aspirations ( :lol: ) that just got swept by an 84 win team from the weakest division in baseball.

And you had the gall to call me bitter. You know, there's a fine line between being a loyal fan and being just plain stupid. Guess which side of that line I think that you stand.

cj
10-06-2008, 11:40 PM
As a lifelong Orioles fan, I'd love to have a season like the Cubs or White Sox...hell even the Marlins...had this year.

Valuist
10-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Wow. What a clever retort. :rolleyes:

But what can we expect from a fan of a 97 win team with World Series aspirations ( :lol: ) that just got swept by an 84 win team from the weakest division in baseball.

And you had the gall to call me bitter. You know, there's a fine line between being a loyal fan and being just plain stupid. Guess which side of that line I think that you stand.

You're even more bitter than I originally thought. Just stay on the south side. We don't need your types.

eastie
10-07-2008, 01:29 AM
in chicago the baseball fans are the white sox fans right. I know the cubs fans have no clue from going to wrigley during the day when we went to grateful dead shows at soldier field at night. They forgave hawk dawson way to easily, and were sad when Lee Arthur (Smith) left. He was the biggest slacker in history.

in the ALCS:
the rays are an angry team out for blood. they weren't about to fool around with the white sox cause they mean business. there's been bad blood with the rays and red sox for at lesast 8-10 years, since brian daubach days. this could get really ugly now, because the rays want the ring, and were the best team all year.

DanG
10-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Is it just me or does this 7 game format stink? :confused:

[2-3-2]

You fight through 165+ games so a road team can split and then close you out in their place?

[3-2-2] / or [2-2-3] makes much more sense and rewards a team for the grind imo.

cj
10-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Is it just me or does this 7 game format stink? :confused:

[2-3-2]

You fight through 165+ games so a road team can split and then close you out in their place?

[3-2-2] / or [2-2-3] makes much more sense and rewards a team for the grind imo.

The road team gets three games. Isn't your 3-2-2 really a 3-4 and the 2-2-3 a 4-3? Any way you split it other than the current format, there would be a 1 game trip in there somewhere unless you are advocating giving the better record team a 5 to 2 home edge.

DanG
10-07-2008, 09:45 AM
unless you are advocating giving the better record team a 5 to 2 home edge.
That’s what I’m advocating. You play 165+ for a one game edge; doesn’t = the accomplishment in my eyes.

cj
10-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I can buy that, but it will never be implemented.

headhawg
10-07-2008, 10:16 AM
You're even more bitter than I originally thought. Just stay on the south side. We don't need your types.Apparently I have offended you in some other life, or maybe this is a carryover resentment from some thread here a while ago, but if you weren't such an ass I would actually tell you that I respect your sports knowledge and have nothing personal against you.

But clearly you are standing way over that fine line I mentioned previously. But what can we expect from a typical Cubs fan, living in that delusional Cubs world.

You can get the last word in if you like; I am done responding to you. I don't feel like wasting more energy on this.

goforgin
10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for everyone's replys. I'll take the good and the bad to help get me off the ledge. It must be the ups and downs of the horse racing fan that gets us through the tough times. FYI. An Off Topic board in a Horse Racing Forum drew 4 times the replies than I got in the local Chicagoland newspaper. Humm. Let's go Breeders' Cup!

OTM Al
10-07-2008, 05:05 PM
As a friend of mine who is a Red Sox fan said after they finally won in 2004, he now knew what it felt like to be a fan of the Yankees, both the good and the bad. Yes, it was great to have won at long last, but soon after that feeling got replaced with expectation rather than hope. He still is a fan of the team of course, but even he would say it feels different watching them in the playoffs now feeling more a dread of failure than the hope for success. The Cubbies will be back. One would figure them to be early faves to win their division again. Eventually they will do it and it will be great, but with that you will lose some of why you love the team as well. Fans of teams like the Marlins, Diamondbacks and if Tampa pulls it off this year them as well, will never know that feeling a Cubs or Red Sox or White Sox fan lived with because of their relatively quick success.

Valuist
10-07-2008, 09:37 PM
The playoffs showed one thing: it doesn't matter how many wins you have in the regular season. If you play like crap, which the Cubs did, you won't win, and you don't deserve to win.

rgustafson
10-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Good post…

This is NOT directed at any Red Sox fan directly, but just a general observation in the spirit of what Steve wrote;

I’ve been going to Ray’s games since I’ve lived here. When Boston comes in obviously many of their fans are here. Before Boston won the whole enchilada a few years back there was a completely different attitude among many of their fans at the Trop. Great people really / they had a real respect for the game and the home teams fans.

Since the World Series win and especially since the 2nd that dynamic has clearly changed imo. There is arrogance and a sense of entitlement that is very obvious to most in this town.

In regards to Steve’s attitude that was always was the predominate one in Chicago I remember and added to a great atmosphere. I would be careful what you wish for…maybe the game just for the sake of it isn’t such a bad thing.

I do not live in Florida and am completely neutral in this playoff, but what Dan G. says, I agree with 100%. What happens is after the long awaited championship, the long suffering fans become insufferable. All you have to do is watch games from Fenway, and see these idiots standing up and screaming like mad if their starting pitcher gets two strikes on a batter with one out in the first inning. Give me a break. Go Rays!

eastie
10-08-2008, 01:25 AM
obviously you've never been to fenway park. the positive energy that goes through there would get you off your asss too. it's also the second coldest place in the northeast (Mt Washington is the first) so getting up warms you up.
The rays are a bunch of sucker punch cheap shot artists who will get what they have coming to them, right soon.

DanG
10-08-2008, 05:57 AM
The rays are a bunch of sucker punch cheap shot artists who will get what they have coming to them, right soon.
Obviously “Eastie” is Coco Crisp’s attorney and is trying to mislead the jury as to who instigated the brawl this year with his bush-league slide. ;)

This should be fun…

http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/28/2008/06/06/320x240/fight1.jpg

PeteKoch
10-11-2008, 01:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tmxa4ZEErw :lol: :lol: :lol:

nomadpat
10-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Why would you resign from Cub nation? I thought accepting failure was a condition of membership? ;) :D

goforgin
10-23-2008, 09:39 PM
You're right, I should have read the small print in the membership form. Like going out for that Double Whopper and Cheese. Never go through the drive-thru, you'll always be disappointed when you get home and find out what you signed up for.