PDA

View Full Version : Churchill decides on announcer(s)

point given
10-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Yes the fall meet which lasts 5 weeks will have a different announcer each week, and they will choose who to hire fulltime for the spring meet from this onair trial. The announcers are bobby Neuman (calder), travis stone (La.) Larry Collmus(gulfstream,monmouth,suffolk) Michael Wrona , and an english bloke Mark Johnson. What are the early odds for each of the callers to get the gig ? Somehow i just can't fathom an english accent with Churchill; Neuman, no thanks; which leaves Collmus and Stone.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/98721.html

hbeck
10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
With no offense to Travis, who I know is active on this board, I hope it is Collmus or Wrona.

onefast99
10-02-2008, 08:52 PM
If it is Larry we will miss him at MP. One of the best today in this business. Good luck to all of the candidates.

peakpros
10-02-2008, 10:06 PM
If it is Larry we will miss him at MP. One of the best today in this business. Good luck to all of the candidates.

ditto

exactatom
10-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Is this truly a tryout among the 5 finalists or is this an attempt at Churchill just to fill out the schedule? While I do read Travis's posts as well, I think that whoever fills the shoes needs at least 10 years of calling races. I am puzzled that Dooley was not mentioned. I would figure that all CD announcers would get a shot, but since the FG meet is going on, it leads to my suspicion that instead of tryouts, they might just be trying to get through the abbreviated fall meet. The inclusion of the Euro intriques me especially combined with the track giving an automatic Derby spot to the winner of a European race. I just hope that CD does not use the announcer as a position to attempt to obtain more foreign wagering on their track. At least there is no talk of bringing back Mike Battaglia.

cnollfan
10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I know he rubs some people the wrong way but I love Wrona.

sandpit
10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Dooley did not submit an application. I guess he is happy at Arlington and FG.

Pace Cap'n
10-02-2008, 11:09 PM
A week at CD is certainly a feather in Travis Stone's cap, regardless of the outcome.

JustRalph
10-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Travis! :ThmbUp:

Overlay
10-03-2008, 12:49 AM
He'd better start polishing his singing voice! (Have to keep pace with NYRA) :D

Stevie Belmont
11-14-2008, 01:19 PM
I like Wrona. Very discriptive and has a good style. Hope he gets it.

Nacumi
11-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Selfishly, I hope we get to keep Larry Collmus in NJ.
Also, apologies to Travis, but I think Wrona's been doing a very good job this week, and he is colourful and brings a little pizazz to KY. I view him as the opposite of Trevor Denman. :p
I'm very happy Dave Rodman didn't apply for the gig and we get to keep him in MD and VA. He's the not-best-kept secret on the MidAtlantic circuit.

miesque
11-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Dooley did not submit an application. I guess he is happy at Arlington and FG.

I just noticed this comment. I had been wondering why Dooley wasn't a finalist as I think he is one of, if not the best announcers in the country.

Bruddah
11-14-2008, 04:11 PM
First, I have never liked Wrona and have said many times Wrona is Wronga for my ears.

Second, I am sick and tired of the Blue Bloods in this Industry trying to make American Thorughbred Racing acceptable to the Euro's. F#%@ the Euro's and the horses they rode in on.

Third, give the kid a break and give it to Travis Stone. He is in my top five favorite announcers. He's not #1 but my favorite didn't make the short list. :ThmbUp:

BUD
11-14-2008, 04:44 PM
My Family and I are new to the Game---LD was on. I was playing a couple of races down there------The Kids--Mine say Dad that track announcer is good---I can actually understand what he is saying and see what he is saying----

In other words she was trying to say she was not lost listening to his calls....

Which from a 15 year old girl----Who enjoys watchin' the races--I think that is a vote of confidence for the kid--Travis-

DanG
11-14-2008, 05:39 PM

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

toetoe
11-14-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm proud to say that Wrona and Collmus cut many teeth on the GGF/BM circuit. Also, TSto will thrive regardless of this outcome.

Praise for JDoo duly noted, but PLEASE ... NO ! (:Tearing at hair:) Thank goodness he's busy surveying the FINAL FAIR GROUNDS FURLONG !!

Very nice guy, I'm sure, but ... :bang: .

BeatTheChalk
11-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Yes the fall meet which lasts 5 weeks will have a different announcer each week, and they will choose who to hire fulltime for the spring meet from this onair trial. The announcers are bobby Neuman (calder), travis stone (La.) Larry Collmus(gulfstream,monmouth,suffolk) Michael Wrona , and an english bloke Mark Johnson. What are the early odds for each of the callers to get the gig ? Somehow i just can't fathom an english accent with Churchill; Neuman, no thanks; which leaves Collmus and Stone.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/98721.html

If there is a God - perhaps she will make sure that the the
English Bloke -- doesnt get near Churchill - after his gig this
week. Don't get me started ! Vrona go away :bang:

gemcity39
11-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Thought all have been good so far, but really liked Bobby Neuman, better than I thought. Wrona and his telling us who is 8th,9th, etc. at the finish is just arrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Peter Berry
11-14-2008, 06:53 PM
If there is a God - perhaps she will make sure that the the
English Bloke -- doesnt get near Churchill - after his gig this
week. Don't get me started ! Vrona go away :bang:

There was no "English bloke" calling at Churchill Downs this week.

Marshall Bennett
11-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Collmus or Neuman , enjoy them both although my nod would go to Neuman .

jeebus1083
11-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Why should 10 years of race-calling experience be a pre-requisite for calling at Churchill? Because the announcer has to call the Kentucky Derby? Please.

Travis is more than ready to take on the challenges and responsibilities that come with calling races at Churchill Downs. Nobody I know has more ambition or works as hard as Travis does, and it shows in the quality of his work. Aside from Louisiana Downs, he has showcased his talents at racetracks across the country in guest roles. Travis's willingness to expand his reach to new audiences will help familiarize himself to those who buy into the Churchill Downs brand through simulcasting. I also feel that having someone with the youth of Travis will benefit Churchill Downs in the long run, as he will provide much needed longevity in a sport whose fan base is older compared to most other sports. Also, it would be refreshing for Churchill Downs to showcase a relatively "new" face, instead of those who sport more years of experience. Overall, I feel that Travis Stone could potentially be the face and voice of Churchill Downs, and the face and voice of the horse racing industry as a whole.

I don't believe in the "he's still young, and needs to wait his turn" garbage. He's on the same level as these guys, but has a style all his own and should be afforded the chance at a major track. Most of these guys (Wrona, Collmus) have had shots at the big time venues... give it to someone who could actually use it to really give his career a launch rather than someone who has been there before.

Is this truly a tryout among the 5 finalists or is this an attempt at Churchill just to fill out the schedule? While I do read Travis's posts as well, I think that whoever fills the shoes needs at least 10 years of calling races. I am puzzled that Dooley was not mentioned. I would figure that all CD announcers would get a shot, but since the FG meet is going on, it leads to my suspicion that instead of tryouts, they might just be trying to get through the abbreviated fall meet. The inclusion of the Euro intriques me especially combined with the track giving an automatic Derby spot to the winner of a European race. I just hope that CD does not use the announcer as a position to attempt to obtain more foreign wagering on their track. At least there is no talk of bringing back Mike Battaglia.

jeebus1083
11-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Amen to that Brother Bruddah!

Some may like his style, and some may not like his style, but if I were Churchill, I'd focus on the future and tab Travis as their man!

First, I have never liked Wrona and have said many times Wrona is Wronga for my ears.

Second, I am sick and tired of the Blue Bloods in this Industry trying to make American Thorughbred Racing acceptable to the Euro's. F#%@ the Euro's and the horses they rode in on.

Third, give the kid a break and give it to Travis Stone. He is in my top five favorite announcers. He's not #1 but my favorite didn't make the short list. :ThmbUp:

Peter Berry
11-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Amen to that Brother Bruddah!

Some may like his style, and some may not like his style, but if I were Churchill, I'd focus on the future and tab Travis as their man!

How would you describe the "style" of the five candidates?

jeebus1083
11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
How would you describe the "style" of the five candidates?

If you are looking for descriptive, Stone and Collmus are that: descriptive. If you're looking for some flair in the call, it's Wrona. No offense to Neuman, but he seems to lack the substance that these guys have. I have never heard the man from England, so I cannot form an opinion.

How would you describe yourself, Peter? I find you pretty descriptive with the calls at Mountaineer.

Peter Berry
11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
If you are looking for descriptive, Stone and Collmus are that: descriptive. If you're looking for some flair in the call, it's Wrona. No offense to Neuman, but he seems to lack the substance that these guys have. I have never heard the man from England, so I cannot form an opinion.

How would you describe yourself, Peter? I find you pretty descriptive with the calls at Mountaineer.

Utilitarian.

clockerwalker
11-14-2008, 09:25 PM
I have heard them all call races I like Travis Stone the best

bigmack
11-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Go Wron! Most active Adam's Apple in the game.

http://www.wlky.com/video/17958800/index.html

TrackManSam
11-15-2008, 01:23 AM
I applaud Travis for making a success of himself in such a short period of time, and I give him all the kudos in the world, but IMO, his call is no where near Wrona's in terms of description, excitement, and finesse. When I go to the races, I want someone with energy that makes me feel excited to be there, and I'm sorry but at this point in his career, Travis is not the one for the big dance YET. Is Travis an asset to racing? Yes, absolutely. Are his calls well beyond his years? maybe, but remember, there is only one Tom Durkin.

Dooley, Stauffer, Colmus, Ledderman, Durkin, Denman, Rodman, Chamberlain, Calo, Allen, Gallasi, Jones, Miramahdi, Loiselle, Stevens....

I think the jewel of racing Churchill Downs may need someone better then the 16th best announcer in the country, and thats not even counting the harness people.

jeebus1083
11-15-2008, 03:35 PM
The point is that Churchill should focus on the future, and not putting their eggs on, no offense, retreads who have called at numerous places, including major tracks. I've heard Michael Wrona call at Arlington and Fair Grounds, both major meets, and I've heard Collmus call at Monmouth and Gulfstream, both major meets. They have had their chances at calling on a big time stage, and have succeeded. Churchill Downs needs to set a new precedent, and do something ground-breaking, which would be hiring the youngest announcer in the history of the Kentucky Derby. Yes, the Derby and Oaks are the two biggest races at the track, but why should years of experience necessarily be the deciding factor? If one can call a race, call it well, and remain accurate, they can call the Kentucky Derby. Stone is ready.

As far as the "he's no Tom Durkin" comment, you're right. There is only one Tom Durkin - just like there is one Travis Stone. Last I knew, Durkin wasn't trying out for Churchill, so the comment is not well taken IMO.

I applaud Travis for making a success of himself in such a short period of time, and I give him all the kudos in the world, but IMO, his call is no where near Wrona's in terms of description, excitement, and finesse. When I go to the races, I want someone with energy that makes me feel excited to be there, and I'm sorry but at this point in his career, Travis is not the one for the big dance YET. Is Travis an asset to racing? Yes, absolutely. Are his calls well beyond his years? maybe, but remember, there is only one Tom Durkin.

Dooley, Stauffer, Colmus, Ledderman, Durkin, Denman, Rodman, Chamberlain, Calo, Allen, Gallasi, Jones, Miramahdi, Loiselle, Stevens....

I think the jewel of racing Churchill Downs may need someone better then the 16th best announcer in the country, and thats not even counting the harness people.

Alyblakester
11-15-2008, 03:52 PM
My money is on Michael Wrona. Not the most pleasant voice but he's deadly accurate. The foreign announcers are for the most part more keen on describing racing, don't you think?

jeebus1083
11-15-2008, 03:56 PM
I do feel that Wrona could get the position. For some reason, he strikes me as someone who could call at Churchill. However, I don't want to see a retread get the job. Wrona is battling a cold today too. Can you hear it in his voice? He also called the wrong horse as the winner earlier too.

jeebus1083
11-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Correction, Wrona called a photo, not the wrong horse. Im in LaLa Land today.

v j stauffer
11-15-2008, 08:26 PM
My money is on Michael Wrona. Not the most pleasant voice but he's deadly accurate. The foreign announcers are for the most part more keen on describing racing, don't you think?

NO

cj's dad
11-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm proud to say that Wrona and Collmus cut many teeth on the GGF/BM circuit. Also, TSto will thrive regardless of this outcome.

Praise for JDoo duly noted, but PLEASE ... NO ! (:Tearing at hair:) Thank goodness he's busy surveying the FINAL FAIR GROUNDS FURLONG !!

Very nice guy, I'm sure, but ... :bang: .

When was that??

Thank God dave rodman is not a possibility- best in the business- never and I mean never misses a beat.

cj
11-15-2008, 11:57 PM
When was that??

Thank God dave rodman is not a possibility- best in the business- never and I mean never misses a beat.

Larry went to Golden Gate after Birmingham.

Bruddah
11-16-2008, 12:07 AM
I feel as if the decision by Churchill was made when the Breeders Cup was announced for 2010. They will try to placate the Blue Bloods in the Industry by announcing Michael Wrona as the announcer. They want that South African twang for the Euro crowd and don't be suprised if Churchill goes to poly crap on the main track in late 2009. Meaning a new era for the Triple Crown in 2010.

If this happens, I am through with horse racing. :ThmbDown:

v j stauffer
11-16-2008, 12:27 AM
I feel as if the decision by Churchill was made when the Breeders Cup was announced for 2010. They will try to placate the Blue Bloods in the Industry by announcing Michael Wrona as the announcer. They want that South African twang for the Euro crowd and don't be suprised if Churchill goes to poly crap on the main track in late 2009. Meaning a new era for the Triple Crown in 2010.

If this happens, I am through with horse racing. :ThmbDown:

Regardless of who CD hires. The BC will be called both on track and on ESPN by the Breeders Cup announcer who is presently Trevor Denman.

Bruddah
11-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Regardless of who CD hires. The BC will be called both on track and on ESPN by the Breeders Cup announcer who is presently Trevor Denman.

However, the rest of my predictive statement, I believe, has a strong chance of being accurate. :eek:

Also, Trevor is the least announcer I want to listen hear call any race. His (Denman's) appointment as BC announcer only proves why I thought Wrona might get the "gig" in 2010. Mainly, the accent and not ability. Just more cowtowing to the Euro's to put an International flare to the whole exhibition. Again, F$%& the Euro's and the horses they rode in on.

Bruddah
11-16-2008, 05:50 AM
All of this change of American Racing began with William Farrish, after his return to America from the Court of St. James, as the American Ambassador. By the by, Mr. Farrish took over the reigns of the BC and the push for Poly crap was initiated with the help of the Blue Bloods at Keeneland.

It is this small group within the Industry which is the driving force of all this Euro A&& kissing. It is what Bill Farrish wants and will be the death of American horse racing. Remember you heard it here first. :eek:

Zman179
11-16-2008, 07:14 AM
All of this change of American Racing began with William Farrish, after his return to America from the Court of St. James, as the American Ambassador. By the by, Mr. Farrish took over the reigns of the BC and the push for Poly crap was initiated with the help of the Blue Bloods at Keeneland.

It is this small group within the Industry which is the driving force of all this Euro A&& kissing. It is what Bill Farrish wants and will be the death of American horse racing. Remember you heard it here first. :eek:

Oh please, we could have friggin' Innuit Indians calling the races at Churchill in their native language and people would still bet on the CD horse races. This game isn't going anywhere thanks to one thing: sluts...I mean slots.

Endsweep24
11-16-2008, 07:39 AM

Bruddah it was his Son Bill Farish Jr who took over the reigns of the BC not daddy.

cj's dad
11-16-2008, 10:47 AM
AS Johnny Carson would say "I, I, I, did not know that"Larry went to Golden Gate after Birmingham.

DanG
11-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Bruddah ~ They want that South African twang for the Euro crowd / If this happens, I am through with horse racing. / F$%& the Euro's and the horses they rode in on.

I for one will miss you greatly… ;)

Evidently your personal “Mississippi twang” should become the gold standard for the human race.

BTW: Where do I sign the Michael Wrona for CD petition? :jump:

Oh yeah…what a load of narrow minded CRAP! / With all due respect of course he said in his native New Jersey accent.

Stevie Belmont
11-16-2008, 02:09 PM
What a joke? A mockery if you will...

Anyone reading this should know you are a shill for Travis. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no problems with you supporting a friend or whatever, but being fake is insulting to my intelligence and it should be to anyone's elses.

Calling other race callers retreads and backing Travis like your his campaign manager is low ball comedy in my opinion. I'm sure Travis is thrilled that others are being ripped on his behalf to get a gig at Churchill. Focus on the future? Another dumb comment. What are these other callers, in their 80's? No.

Stop being a phony. That's all I ask.

And for the record I also like Collmus in the mix.

Good luck to Travis. A fine capable race caller.

The point is that Churchill should focus on the future, and not putting their eggs on, no offense, retreads who have called at numerous places, including major tracks. I've heard Michael Wrona call at Arlington and Fair Grounds, both major meets, and I've heard Collmus call at Monmouth and Gulfstream, both major meets. They have had their chances at calling on a big time stage, and have succeeded. Churchill Downs needs to set a new precedent, and do something ground-breaking, which would be hiring the youngest announcer in the history of the Kentucky Derby. Yes, the Derby and Oaks are the two biggest races at the track, but why should years of experience necessarily be the deciding factor? If one can call a race, call it well, and remain accurate, they can call the Kentucky Derby. Stone is ready.

As far as the "he's no Tom Durkin" comment, you're right. There is only one Tom Durkin - just like there is one Travis Stone. Last I knew, Durkin wasn't trying out for Churchill, so the comment is not well taken IMO.

toetoe
11-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Steve,

If you are correct, that gives me the heebus jeebus. BRRRR ! :eek:

Yorker
11-16-2008, 03:59 PM
I couldn't agree more!

Anyone reading this should know you are a shill for Travis. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no problems with you supporting a friend or whatever, but being fake is insulting to my intelligence and it should be to anyone's elses.

Calling other race callers retreads and backing Travis like your his campaign manager is low ball comedy in my opinion. I'm sure Travis is thrilled that others are being ripped on his behalf to get a gig at Churchill. Focus on the future? Another dumb comment. What are these other callers, in their 80's? No.

jeebus1083
11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm speaking from the heart, and speaking as a personal friend of Travis's. He has not put me up to campaigning for him. I have done it on my own accord. Nonetheless, the decision will be up to Mr. Asher and the staff at Churchill Downs, and ultimately, my opinions and comments will not matter.

Bruddah
11-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I for one will miss you greatly… ;)

Evidently your personal “Mississippi twang” should become the gold standard for the human race.

BTW: Where do I sign the Michael Wrona for CD petition? :jump:

Oh yeah…what a load of narrow minded CRAP! / With all due respect of course he said in his native New Jersey accent.

Puhhleeeze! LOL! You sir are a maroon and exhibit it quite well! :lol: :D

Fingal
11-16-2008, 09:27 PM

This is all very amusing. You'd think that the Mc Cain - Obama election was happening again.

I remember when a young Trevor Denman was given the Santa Anita Job, the numerous complaints because people couldn't understand him. Those same patrons now couldn't fathom The Great Race Place without him, so the anti accent argument doesn't hold up. Any competant announcer can call a race, but many times I've sat in the Paddock Gardens not watching a particular race, & I want a description to make me feel I have. That's Wrona.

DanG
11-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Puhhleeeze! LOL! You sir are a maroon and exhibit it quite well! :lol: :D
That’s it…

Now I am disappointed. :(

Oh well; I guess I’ll have to live with maroon until you unleash your next tirade against anyone who wasn’t blessed with your ‘twang.

DeanT
11-16-2008, 09:35 PM
If Vic had a foreign accent I would want him to call Churchill races, since those types have more accurate calls.

DanG
11-16-2008, 09:54 PM
If Vic had a foreign accent I would want him to call Churchill races, since those types have more accurate calls.
LOL…There you go Dean! You always have a way of putting things in perspective.

Growing up in Jersey I always thought my friends and I had a “neutral accent”. I would hear pronounced Southern, Brooklyn, Long Island or someone from England etc…Then I moved west and dated a girl from California…1st date she says…”Let me guess; your from New Jersey” How could she tell I wondered…:D

Then a real revelation hit my pea brain…We ALL have an accent to someone. BTW: I LOVE an English / Australian accent so I’m definitely prejudiced in that area.

Rico8812
11-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Hilarious call-out! :cool:

cj's dad
11-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Larry is as good as it gets- rarely makes a mistake, no accent whatsoever (that I notice), and is young, which means he could grow to be a fixture at CD.

point given
11-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Larry is as good as it gets- rarely makes a mistake, no accent whatsoever (that I notice), and is young, which means he could grow to be a fixture at CD.
Of the four Larry Collmus seems the best. I just viewed the CD turf race stakes from this past weekend replay ,with Wrona, and while a highly accurate call, I found myself not liking it so much for whatever reason, perhaps overly technical which bruised my brain. ( and I think denman is fine, but prefer Durkin for that matter). Travis is still developing his calling and is good, and Neuman is ok. Larry seems the one who is good , day after day of listening , spirited and not pretentious or overly tecknical ,with few mistakes . :ThmbUp:

DeanT
11-17-2008, 03:09 PM
LOL…There you go Dean! You always have a way of putting things in perspective.

Growing up in Jersey I always thought my friends and I had a “neutral accent”. I would hear pronounced Southern, Brooklyn, Long Island or someone from England etc…Then I moved west and dated a girl from California…1st date she says…”Let me guess; your from New Jersey” How could she tell I wondered…:D

Then a real revelation hit my pea brain…We ALL have an accent to someone. BTW: I LOVE an English / Australian accent so I’m definitely prejudiced in that area.
Try having a business with mostly American clients as a Canuck. I was on a call with one from Texas and they said I talked funny :D

Im pretty amazed with the talent in these race callers. I looked at the last race at HOL a few days ago. It was a 14 horse field. I studied the race and could not tell you one horses name, but there is Vic not making a single error. Now if he could just get rid of that accent..... :)

v j stauffer
11-18-2008, 02:06 AM
Try having a business with mostly American clients as a Canuck. I was on a call with one from Texas and they said I talked funny :D

Im pretty amazed with the talent in these race callers. I looked at the last race at HOL a few days ago. It was a 14 horse field. I studied the race and could not tell you one horses name, but there is Vic not making a single error. Now if he could just get rid of that accent..... :)

I'm from Marin County but have no money. I thought that might make it tougher to regionalize my obvious accent.

strapper
12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
When are they going to announce the winner of this crow's nest derby? :confused:

sandpit
12-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Not sure.....latest rumor on central avenue is that it is one of the guys with an accent.

jballscalls
12-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I'll bet they call em on Xmas morning to tell whoever gets the job the news.