PDA

View Full Version : Meadowlands Cup GII

Stevie Belmont
10-01-2008, 09:39 AM
This Friday night at the Meadowlands. Race looks evenly matched with no clear cut favorite. Arson Sqaud shows up first time for Dutrow. Zito has an entry Da'Tara and Anak Nakal. Timber Reserve skipped the Jockey Cup for this. Field....

8th RACE
Post 10:22PM
$350,000 THE MEADOWLANDS CUP (Grade II)
3 & UP, 1 1/8 MILES
1 Da' Tara, Nick Zito, Alan Garcia, 123
2 Timber Reserve, John Kimmel, Kent Desormeaux, 119
3 P V Lightening, Gary Capuano, Travis Dunkelberger, 119
4 Anak Nakal, Nick Zito, Joe Bravo, 123
5 Past The Point, Eoin Harty, John Velazquez, 119
6 Actin Good, Bobby Dibona, Cornelio Velasquez, 123
7 True Resurgence, John Terranova II, Jeffrey Sanchez, 119
8 Arson Squad, Richard Dutrow, Jr., Edgar Prado, 119

the little guy
10-01-2008, 10:31 AM
They aren't an entry and Timber Reserve scratched from the JCGC because of the sloppy track.

Stevie Belmont
10-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Meadowlands website said entry, but it's not, should say pair...Did not know Timber skipped because of slop, thought the big horse might have something to do with it.

Stevie Belmont
10-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Meadowlands Cup Preview

The G II renewal of the Meadowlands Cup tonight drew a competitive field with no clear-cut standout. Da’Tara the upset winner of the Belmont stakes leads a pair of Nick Zito trained entrants, along with PA Derby winner Anak Nakal.

The race looks to have a solid pace scenario. Da’Tara, Past The Point, runner up to top dog Curlin in the Woodward, Delaware invader PV Lightening look to control the early pace of the race. The Meadowlands is a speed favoring surface and the front is usually a good place to be, however a hot pace could lead to a meltdown setting the race up for someone else.

The stalkers are Actin Good, 07 Pegasus winner, True Resurgence coming off two strong efforts at Saratoga for trainer John Terranova, Timber Reserve, lasts years PA Derby winner, both horses will look for a trip not to far off the pace.

And the closers look to be Anak Nakal, this years PA Derby winner and Arson Squad will go out for Rick Dutrow for the first time tonight and his running style could change, He has run the best races of his career over dirt.

Top Selections

We are going with two we like here

Timber Reserve comes into tonight’s Meadowlands Cup making his 3rd start off a layoff from January. He skipped the Jockey Cup, and connections see fit to run here. Timber Reserve’s last race was a winning effort at Saratoga where he drew clear and defeated Extreme Supreme. Timber Reserve shows 2 solid works since his last, a solid breeze followed by a fast handily. Timber Reserve should be able to get a good stalking trip on the inside under the guidance of Kent Desormeaux. Horse looks fit and looks to be cycling up to a top effort.

Arson Squad, who is a new shooter in the race, and is now under the care of Rick Durtrow. Arson Squad was based at Cali and had been trained previously by Bruce Headley. His races in Cali on poly track were not that good. A return back to dirt has been made. Arson Squad shows solid works over the Aqueduct main track in preparation for this. Dutrow is superb with first time acquisitions, clicking at 28%; Arson Squad has put together his two best races on dirt. Dutrow goes to his main Edgar Prado who will guide Arson Squad. A much-improved try tonight is expected from Arson Squad who looks to be in shape and ready.

onefast99
10-03-2008, 12:54 PM
So who do you like in the 4 horse field of the Elio? Whos the cowboy, Manduit, Man of Danger or Maddys lion. I like Maddy tonight to get up in the final strides to beat Man of Danger!

joanied
10-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Pretty nice race...I'll be looking to see how da Tara does...I've been watching the wkly show on HRTV, Pursuit of the Cup...and saw that Da Tara is enterted as a starter in the BC Marathon:eek: !!!!

onefast99
10-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Pretty nice race...I'll be looking to see how da Tara does...I've been watching the wkly show on HRTV, Pursuit of the Cup...and saw that Da Tara is enterted as a starter in the BC Marathon:eek: !!!!
I like Phil the power in the marathon, pretty versatile horse.

onefast99
10-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Da tara is out of the Meadowlands race.

ghostyapper
10-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Zito said too much speed in the race, he'll run him sunday in the brooklyn

joanied
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
ghost & onefast...

Do you think Zito will try going gate to wire with Da Tara in the Bklyn? I would think that's why he says too much speed in the Meadowlands?
I was very surprised to see Da Tara listed as a BC Marathon starter...if he runs there, it'll make the Marathon interesting...with EA retired, they need a couple of known names in the field...

onefast99
10-03-2008, 02:04 PM
ghost & onefast...

Do you think Zito will try going gate to wire with Da Tara in the Bklyn? I would think that's why he says too much speed in the Meadowlands?
I was very surprised to see Da Tara listed as a BC Marathon starter...if he runs there, it'll make the Marathon interesting...with EA retired, they need a couple of known names in the field...
He is probably thinking speed will conquer the Brooklyn Hcap field, I dont know, as it seems the Belmont course is a bit heavy this fall. The meadowlands hasnt produced any fast times either. I thought da tara fit in the Meadowlands race pretty well.

Stevie Belmont
10-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Da'Tara is out, wow...Changes things a little...Moves up all the speed horses a bit. Past The Point looks better now...

Whats with all the scratched in the Eilio? Man of Danger will be tough to reel in on that strip after the scratches.

onefast99
10-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Da'Tara is out, wow...Changes things a little...Moves up all the speed horses a bit. Past The Point looks better now...

Whats with all the scratched in the Eilio? Man of Danger will be tough to reel in on that strip after the scratches.
He seems to falter once he has the lead to himself, speed wont win that tonight, Maddy will run him down like he did Joey P in the Mr Prospector. Who's the Cowboy is perfect on the BigM surface so he could be tough if he is up to running. A nicely balanced field.

OTM Al
10-03-2008, 04:55 PM
That would be the Jerome on Sunday. The Brooklyn was extended to 10f and run the day before the Belmont. Evening Attire finished a hard charging 2nd. I cashed. Seems like a long time ago that cashing part.......

BIG RED
10-03-2008, 05:05 PM

Twas my one pick for the night....crapolla