PDA

View Full Version : Jessie's callin them to the post

jognlope
09-30-2008, 11:53 AM
As soon as I get a camera I'll put it on Youtube. I take my gray parrot out on the stoop for sun and as soon as someone walks by he calls the race. Does it perfectly sometimes, sometimes just cuts it off halfway. People will stop, look around, see him and chuckle. Sometimes they'll say "they're off."

bishlap
09-30-2008, 07:53 PM
those african grey's are something else - let's hope he/she doesn't hear Durkin call a race w/ Arrrr or Do re mi etc., neighbors might call the cops.

jognlope
10-01-2008, 09:28 AM
He could do do re mi He holds the last note in operative fashion.

joanied
10-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Jog...
Wow...hope you can get your Parrot on YouTube soon...should be absolutley hilarious...and I wanna see him:jump:
What's his name? We had a little Half Moon Parrot when we were kids..he belonged to my brother. That litle bird could talk up a storm, and my grandpa was Italian and spoke to the bird in Italian and damned if that parrot didn't say words in Italian...
:)

jognlope
10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Here he is, he's around 11, I got him just after he was weaned at 2 months. He's had to move with me a few times, lived in a dark basement apartment, but now we have a big sunny place that I plan to stay at, for him mainly. Heck, I could get up and go any time!

http://groups.msn.com/Horsesracingandetc/kidsfavoritephotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1697

joanied
10-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Here he is, he's around 11, I got him just after he was weaned at 2 months. He's had to move with me a few times, lived in a dark basement apartment, but now we have a big sunny place that I plan to stay at, for him mainly. Heck, I could get up and go any time!

http://groups.msn.com/Horsesracingandetc/kidsfavoritephotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1697

jog...I just fell in love...Jessie is so sweet lookin'...and no doubt a very good friend...bet he never says anything that hurts your feelings:) ...and bet he was the sunshine in that dark basement apartment!!
I also kind of browsed around and looked at your photos, then looked at the Memorial section...heavy sigh:( so many are gone...geeze. I was Ok though until I saw that photo of Mike Blowen with Precisionist...if that photo doesn't bring tears to your eyes, nothin' will...it is a photo that speaks love.
Another heavy sigh...

jognlope
10-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes we love our lost ones... thanks for taking a look. Please joint that forum if you are so inclined.

Here's my favorite of Drift:

http://groups.msn.com/Horsesracingandetc/kidsfavoritephotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=5422

joanied
10-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Yes we love our lost ones... thanks for taking a look. Please joint that forum if you are so inclined.

Here's my favorite of Drift:

http://groups.msn.com/Horsesracingandetc/kidsfavoritephotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=5422

Thanks, jog...great photo of the Drift...he sure was a looker as well as a runnin' SOB:)
Once winter hits here in WY., I'll see about joining that forum...right now too busy with harvest and a ton of other stuff on the farm...and I need to find time to ride one of my mares...she's getting the hang of it, but I need to ride alot because mid Nov., she'll find herself walking up a dark trail at 4am in the morning in pursiut of the wiley Elk...she'll need to be fit.

jognlope
10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Post of picture of your mare sometime. Elk country, that's nice. I had a mare but I was a little heavy and I think that's why she got back problems. I cried when I sold her, but she went to a nice big farm that looked like scandinavian steppes. It's hard to let go of them. Also everybody was saying "no way I wouldn't buy a mare (to ride)." But I liked that she was a mare, felt closer to her than a gelding.

Wish my QH could chase some cows, he's bred to and used to do that in Okie. I was thinking let him kick a soccer ball and have it hit a bell or something fun like that.

joanied
10-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Post of picture of your mare sometime. Elk country, that's nice. I had a mare but I was a little heavy and I think that's why she got back problems. I cried when I sold her, but she went to a nice big farm that looked like scandinavian steppes. It's hard to let go of them. Also everybody was saying "no way I wouldn't buy a mare (to ride)." But I liked that she was a mare, felt closer to her than a gelding.

Wish my QH could chase some cows, he's bred to and used to do that in Okie. I was thinking let him kick a soccer ball and have it hit a bell or something fun like that.

Getting your QH to play soccer is a great idea...what's his bloodlines? One of our son's has a mare, Gazell, out of one of my TB mares (a stakes winning, track record setting daughter of Our Micheal...she's passed on, but she lived til 32 yrs. old... her obit was in the Bloodhorse mag...miss her) and Gazell is by a Skipper W Quarter Horse stallion and is a great cow horse...she loves working the cows...prooves a TB can do anything...and that a mare can be as steady as a gelding or stallion to ride.
The mare I'm riding now is named Luna. her mama, Toy Moon, is a TB, by Maxistar, a California speedster by Pia Star, out of a To Market mare. Luna's mama's bottom is Forli and Tudor Minstrel. Luna's sire is a son of Doc Bar (QH)...Luna looks more QH than TB. She's 9 yrs old. (My other TB mare, Stately Morn, my 'queen', is by another CA stakes horse, Swing Til Dawn and out of a stakes winning AxeII mare, Swinging Lizzie. Stately Morn's mama, Hail the Crown is a daughter of Halo.
Anyway... I don't find that mares are hard to get along with at all...I think either sex will be as good and easy to be around as you make them to be. Not sure your mare got back problems from your wieght, but your average size horse can carry up to 275 lbs with no problem...and if you get a Cordura saddle, that helps...they are very light saddles...I have one and love it, and I'm about 120 lbs..
I'm sorry you had to sell your mare, jog...I know how you felt...when I was raising babies, I sold them all as weanlings, and even though I only had them for 4 or 5 months, I cried everytime one left for their new home....even though you know that new home is excellent...still hurts to see them go.

Elk hunting is great...but a lot of work...we hunt in some extremely rugged country, just outside of Yellowstone Park, elevation around 9,000ft.

Photos below...Luna is the Blood Bay, Stately Morn the grey & Toy Moon (Luna's mama) is the dark Bay. We do have 2 geldings also....Bo & Biscuit.

jognlope
10-02-2008, 03:05 PM
OMG I love Skippa horses, smart, bold, muscled. Pretty name Gazelle, sort of speedy I take it, goes on a dime? Mine QH is grandson of Skipper's King, Spanish Admiral in there too. I love those fox ears that skippas horse have and the strong jaw. You have quite a family there. I have to see the Yellowstone area. Can you camp there or is there a fear of grizzlies? Always wondered about that. Or hiking alone..

jognlope
10-02-2008, 03:07 PM
great grandson... I meant

joanied
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
OMG I love Skippa horses, smart, bold, muscled. Pretty name Gazelle, sort of speedy I take it, goes on a dime? Mine QH is grandson of Skipper's King, Spanish Admiral in there too. I love those fox ears that skippas horse have and the strong jaw. You have quite a family there. I have to see the Yellowstone area. Can you camp there or is there a fear of grizzlies? Always wondered about that. Or hiking alone..

Thanks, about Gazell's name...you know some horses name themselves...when she was born I took one look at her legs and said she looked like a Gazell...and she IS as fast as one...like her mother!! Her sire had a very deep Skipper W pedigree, I'd have to hunt it up, I can't recall the names on it:blush: ...but if you put a photo of Skipper W next to a photo of Sparky, you couldn't tell which one was Skipper W.
Ya know, I also had a grand daughter of Storm Cat...but when I retired the mares I hauled her back to the folks that gave me the mares...she was great, but she was a bully and Stately Morn (my matriarch) was intimidated by her...so they just took her back...these are the same folks that stood the Skipper W stallion, and had a son of Storm Cat...it's the last place that stood Foolish Pleasure, and it's where he's buried...he was the one that made my 'foolish dreams' come true...to have my own mares & raise babies.

Everyone should see the Yellowstone area, jog...it really is gorgeous. The road from Cody, WY to the East entrance of Yellowstone is called the North Fork, and Andy Rooney said it's the most beautiful 50 miles in America!! We also have the Beartooth Mtns and the Big Horns...I've ridden all over the Big Horn Mtns. I love it up there...
there are lots of camping places...along the North Fork, and of course, in Yellowstone Park. As long as you stay in designated camp grounds and follow the rules for storing your food items, you can feel 90% safe from Grizzlies...always the chance one might wander in...and if you hike, best tell someone where you are and when you'll be back...and make lots of noise often.
when we hunt Elk, we go late season...mid Nov. thru early Dec., so the bears are all sleeping....thank goodness.
But...don't let the Griz stop you...if you ever get the opportunity to vist this area...take it...well worth it to see this country.

I'll see if I can find 3 or 4 photos to post...

joanied
10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
jognlope.... some photos of the area here...I decided this morning I gotta clean up my photos in my puter...what a mess...got 1,000's and can't find the ones I wanted to post:mad: .
Anyway...here ya go:

joanied
10-03-2008, 01:21 PM
jognlope.... some photos of the area here...I decided this morning I gotta clean up my photos in my puter...what a mess...got 1,000's and can't find the ones I wanted to post:mad: .
Anyway...here ya go:

more... The last two are the 'trailhead' where we Elk hunt...Pahaska...it's where Buffalo Bill Cody hunted.

jognlope
10-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I can't image the serenity of trail riding, absolutely beautiful. The last trail ride I took, I think it was about 2 feet wide, branches all in my face. Luckily my horse, who since passed, was trail savy and walked around puddles so deftly. But to have this open space.

joanied
10-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I can't image the serenity of trail riding, absolutely beautiful. The last trail ride I took, I think it was about 2 feet wide, branches all in my face. Luckily my horse, who since passed, was trail savy and walked around puddles so deftly. But to have this open space.

A trail 2 feet wide in this neck of the woods would be taking a chance on meeting a Griz...better to have open spaces... it really is serenity...even the horses enjoy riding the mountains...well, maybe not so much during Elk hunting...they kinda work at that:) .

Just another note, jog...I mentioned that Storm Cat mare I had...I also had a gorgeous Mr.Prospector mare...I lost her while she was 10 months pregnant with a foal by a Dash for Cash (QH) stallion...to loose them both was probably the hardest horse thing I ever went through...she was awesome and we were deeply bonded. Geeze:(

jognlope
10-03-2008, 07:01 PM
That's sad, so tough to lose them. How do you get Dash for Cash, as frozen semen? He's beautiful.

joanied
10-04-2008, 01:39 PM
That's sad, so tough to lose them. How do you get Dash for Cash, as frozen semen? He's beautiful.

Yes, and sometimes you just never seem to get over it...life goes on, but still the sorrow remains. it was horrendous for me because it was an accident...and I was with her, thank God...around 8pm...was just checking up on her and the other mares...she was laying down...Dronita was a big mare...16.2 and 2 wks into her 10th month...I was just about ready to go back inside when she decided to get up...I'll never know exactly what happened...she must have just raised herself wrong...I don't know...but when she got up, she started to fall sideways...in a panic I actually tried to hold her up...by then we were against the run in shelter back wall, and I did manage to steady her, and she was trying hard to stay up...on 3 legs...I looked down and saw that a front ankle shattered...it was a horror. Brave mare, she was probably in shock, but she stood still, I calmed her best I could, and ran to the house yelling for my husband...thankfully the house is right there...I went back to her and he called my vet...wonderful man, he drove the 25 miles to our place in 15 minutes...meantime, I tried to come to grips with what I knew was going to happen. I told Dronita all the things you want to tell someone you love when you know they'll be gone...I also hugged the other mares because they were there through all this..my husband stayed with her while my vet, who was also in tears, put Dronita to rest....and her unborn foal. She is buried on our farm, and when old mare Daurie passed, we laid her next to Dronita.
:( :( :(

Oh...the stallion who sired her unborn foal was a SON of Dash for Cash...and he was gorgeous too.