PDA

View Full Version : Evening Attire Retired

JMG
09-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Grade I Winner Evening Attire Retired

Evening Attire, a fan favorite because of his color, running style and tenacious longevity, has been retired, according to the Hall of Fame trainer Tom Kelly. According to Pat Kelly a minor ankle injury has ended the racing career of the 10-year-old son of Black Tie Affair.

During his eight seasons of racing, Evening Attire finished first, second or third in 40 of his 69 starts. Of his 15 wins, nine were graded stakes, including his greatest conquest, the Grade I Jockey Club Gold Cup in 2002. Competing in the country's greatest races for older horses, from the Whitney Handicap to the Breeders' Cup Classic, he earned $2,977,130.

Tom Kelly bred and owned Evening Attire with his partners Mary and Joe Grant. Attire was trained by three of Tom’s sons, first by Larry, then Tim and later by Pat. Evening Attire's first graded win came in the 2001 Discovery Handicap, when he defeated Street Cry at odds of 65-1. HIs last stakes win came in his final race, July 19, when he captured the 1 1/2-mile Greenwood Cup at Philadelphia Park. He not only defied his age, winning by 8 1/4 lengths, but also set a track record and earned a place in the Breeders' Cup Marathon.

"Last weekend at Monmouth, we saw some swelling in his leg," Pat Kelly said. "During the week, after discussions with the vet and his owners, we decided, considering his age and all he has done, it was in everyone's best interest to retire Evening Attire and find a good home for him."

Tom Kelly said “Evening Attire was one of kind. He rates up at the top of all the good horses I’ve trained, and that’s saying something.”

Mary Grant said ”We feel so blessed to have a horse not only racing for eight years but competing in stakes company. Attire has brought our family so much excitement and has given us the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people in the racing world. We are amazed at his popularity. For years he has received birthday cards from fans in this country as well as from New Zealand and Europe. One fan has even built a website dedicated to him, www.eveningattire.net (http://www.eveningattire.net/). We just want to thank all his loyal fans for their great support.”

Where Attire will retire has not been finalized. All options and suggestions are being considered by his owners.

ghostyapper
09-28-2008, 12:25 PM
I always loved this horse. I was hoping he'd go out with a bc win in the new 12 furlong race.

Tom
09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah, a shame they final get a marathon BC race for him and he goes out a few weeks before it.

jognlope
09-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Oh no time for tears. I will miss him dearly, but glad they continue to think of him first.

cj
09-28-2008, 02:19 PM
This seems a lot different from the story that was told last week. Wasn't it a minor cut that caused him to scratch?

I do wish the horse only the best. He was a true warrior.

tucker6
09-28-2008, 03:20 PM
This seems a lot different from the story that was told last week. Wasn't it a minor cut that caused him to scratch?

I do wish the horse only the best. He was a true warrior.
Seems we both dreamed the same story! ;)

Stevie Belmont
09-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Too bad...He was a favorite of mine as he was for others

Somehow I thought he would just keep going and winning..

My favorite EA moment is when he jumped the tracks in the snow storm afew years back...

lilmegahertz
09-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Good Luck in your retirement EA. You are truly a warrior. I totally loved this guy.

jognlope
09-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Steve, I think I saw that, it was blinding snow. If you can get that back, please post!

LottaKash
09-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Too bad, he was an exciting horse to watch, when he ran........

Evening Attire Retired....say that 10x fast..........:jump:

best,

JustRalph
09-28-2008, 06:19 PM
JMG, you have done him right so far.............send him some place warm :ThmbUp:

Thanks for the memories!!

jognlope
09-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I went through each year on the site set up for him, great detail and I enjoyed reading the narratives for each race. Bridgmohan sure rode him a lot in the early years. www.eveningattire.com (http://www.eveningattire.com)

joanied
09-29-2008, 01:23 PM
I went through each year on the site set up for him, great detail and I enjoyed reading the narratives for each race. Bridgmohan sure rode him a lot in the early years. www.eveningattire.com (http://www.eveningattire.com)

Thanks for the link, jog...

I hope they do send him someplace warm...but probably will go to the kentucky Horse Park or Old Friends...I would think so anyway.

Yes, last week when they scratched they said it was a cut...guess NOT!! Not that it matters...the Kelley's have done nothing but the very best for the old boy.
It is a shame he couldn't have gone just a little more and got in the BC Marathon...before they run that race on BC Day, they should do a story on EA...that'd be wonderful for all his fans.

EA...enjoy your days of leisure...you earned them and the love all your fans feel for you...live long, happy and content.

geeze...now ALL our good ol' warriors have been retired. Geeze.

jognlope
09-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Read on another forum he may go to Ocala training center

MickJ26
09-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the link, jog...

I hope they do send him someplace warm...but probably will go to the kentucky Horse Park or Old Friends...I would think so anyway.

Yes, last week when they scratched they said it was a cut...guess NOT!! Not that it matters...the Kelley's have done nothing but the very best for the old boy.
It is a shame he couldn't have gone just a little more and got in the BC Marathon...before they run that race on BC Day, they should do a story on EA...that'd be wonderful for all his fans.

EA...enjoy your days of leisure...you earned them and the love all your fans feel for you...live long, happy and content.

geeze...now ALL our good ol' warriors have been retired. Geeze.

I'm pretty sure Spooky Mulder is still kicking it around.
I think he was just claimed by Bruce Levine.

atlasaxis
09-29-2008, 03:35 PM
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4gg36/eveningattire/

joanied
09-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Read on another forum he may go to Ocala training center

Ocala training center?? Is that a place for retirement? I don't get it :confused:

jognlope
09-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Ocala something or other, or maybe a track pony since EA doesn't like being idle.

jognlope
09-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Ocala Stud

joanied
09-29-2008, 07:56 PM
hey jog,
Ocala Stud....will he be used as a pony horse there or what? I'd be in favor of that...the longer he's used, the happier & healthier he'll be!!
I guess his web site will announce the plans when they know them.

JMG
09-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Ocala Stud
He is not going to Ocala Stud. We do train our two year olds there, maybe that where that story came from. He will probably go to Kentucky or stay in New York. I am not sure KY horse park wants him.

As for the scratch. He was shipped to Monmouth and until his traveling wraps came off nothing was noticed he walked fine and showed no sign of being hurt. That is when some slight swelling was noticed. The swelling was high up right near a cut. It is not an ankle injury. When he was finally scanned the slight strain was seen. He still walks perfectly and shows no sign of an injury. If he were younger we would give him some time off, keep weight off him and bring him back for the summer.

jognlope
09-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry I read that wrong, tired eyes!! from working. But a track pony, I hope that's true. I would love to see him at the Spa next summer.

JustRalph
09-29-2008, 09:17 PM
JMG is very nice to share this info with us here. Appreciate it JMG.

I don't know why Evening Attire and Perfect Drift couldn't go on a race track tour............ I would pay to have my picture taken with them...... :ThmbUp:

eastie
09-30-2008, 12:38 AM
He is not going to Ocala Stud. We do train our two year olds there, maybe that where that story came from. He will probably go to Kentucky or stay in New York. I am not sure KY horse park wants him.

As for the scratch. He was shipped to Monmouth and until his traveling wraps came off nothing was noticed he walked fine and showed no sign of being hurt. That is when some slight swelling was noticed. The swelling was high up right near a cut. It is not an ankle injury. When he was finally scanned the slight strain was seen. He still walks perfectly and shows no sign of an injury. If he were younger we would give him some time off, keep weight off him and bring him back for the summer.

if he doesn't like being retired , would you consider bringing the grey horse back ?

jognlope
09-30-2008, 06:58 AM
I've missed seeing all my favs, Funny Cide, Evening Attire, Perfect Drift. I did see Lemon Drop Kid up close at the Whitney. I was new to racing and he was just a big beautiful horse with blazing eyes, big strong neck and I ran to the betting window to bet him to win because that horse knew he was going to win. He was the most awesome race horse I'd ever seen up close.

So I hope I can one or all of the three warriors at the Spa.

jognlope
09-30-2008, 07:27 AM
EA has the best gate manners I've ever seen. Watching him before Greenwood being resaddled, he looked full of gun powder. He's adorable.

joanied
09-30-2008, 10:16 AM
the Kelley's will do what is best for EA...just like always. And if EA 'tells' them he wants to stay around and work, they'll let him do it...same way Barclay Tagg with Funny Cide...Tagg said the gelding did not want to hang out in a pasture all day...he goes to the track every morning and loves it.

Horses let you know when they are happy or not...and the Kelly's know how to 'listen' to their horses...as far as I'm concerned, whatever they decide is best for the old warrior, will be best, and it'll be fine with me.

JMC...thanks for your info....we appreciate it.