PDA

View Full Version : Betting Synthetic Surfaces

karlskorner
09-27-2008, 10:39 AM
New book review by Paul Daley, Lowell Sun

www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_10565028

Cangamble
09-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I just got the book couriered to me yesterday from Amazon.ca for $15.72 CDN.
Probably won't read it for at least a month as I'm in the middle of Crist's Exotic Betting right now.

MarquisMark
10-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I've been thinking about picking this book up. It's been out a month or two now and I saw it got a couple of good reviews on Amazon. That's ususally a positive sign.

Has anyone checked it out yet? Have you found it to contain useful insight on the various artificial surfaces?

DeanT
10-30-2008, 07:14 PM
It's one of the best books I have read in awhile.

I dont think it was meant to make you a winner like so many books profess, but it gives you a nice understanding of poly. I really enjoyed it. Quick read too. I think it took me maybe 3 or 4 hours.

Valuist
01-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I got the book for Xmas. Haven't finished it but the sire charts/info alone are worth the cost of the book.

cj
01-09-2009, 01:11 AM
I too read it after getting it for Christman, and while skeptical going in, found it pretty good.

I also was given Bet With the Best 2, which is probably one of the worst books I've ever read. I'll have to do a review this week, but here is one tidbit. The premise of the book is longshots. Alan Shuback wrote one of the chapters, and the point of the chapter is you can't find any bettable longshots among foreign invaders.

Andy Beyer, who I think is the best handicapping writer ever, wrote a chapter that is nothing more than a plug for Formulator. While I agree it is a great tool, the chapter barely even touches on the premise of the book.

plainolebill
01-09-2009, 02:17 AM
I liked the book too. I only wish that there was another chart with the sires in alphabetical order.

Valuist
02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I liked the book too. I only wish that there was another chart with the sires in alphabetical order.

LOL but that is a great point. I have started to alphabetize the sires in a notebook but I have to admit I've gotten sidetracked and haven't gotten past K.

robert99
02-06-2009, 01:22 PM
If you want another good one on this topic try here.

http://www.highstakes.co.uk/shop/product.php/12516/0//bdaf6c1cbf7b17c770da36185bf7422f

Tom
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Never heard of that one, thanks.
Looks like it might be a good read.
What does £9.99 come out to in $$$?

andicap
02-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Never heard of that one, thanks.
Looks like it might be a good read.
What does£9.99 come out to in $$$?
Today, under $15, closer to $14.45 or so.

Burls
02-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I too read it after getting it for Christman, and while skeptical going in, found it pretty good.

I also was given Bet With the Best 2, which is probably one of the worst books I've ever read. I'll have to do a review this week, but here is one tidbit. The premise of the book is longshots. Alan Shuback wrote one of the chapters, and the point of the chapter is you can't find any bettable longshots among foreign invaders.

Andy Beyer, who I think is the best handicapping writer ever, wrote a chapter that is nothing more than a plug for Formulator. While I agree it is a great tool, the chapter barely even touches on the premise of that book.I'm not sure about the other articles in Bet With the Best 2, but I think Brohamer's piece on 'The Turnback Play' alone was worth was the price of that book. It was to me anyway, because I didn't know about that angle before I read Brohamer's piece. I've since had a number of decent payoffs on 'the turnback play'. Perhaps you folks that have been handicapping longer were already aware of that angle, so that it was just old news to you.

Burls
02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
I just got the book couriered to me yesterday from Amazon.ca for $15.72 CDN.
Probably won't read it for at least a month as I'm in the middle of Crist's Exotic Betting right now.Sorry, but, this book was a disappointment to me. All I could see was a nicely wriiten rehearsal of some pretty basic stats theory.

kitts
02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Have to agree with Burls. The book was a not what I hoped for.

maxwell
02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
I tried to find "Betting On the All-Weather" through Chapters ( Indigo ) but had no luck. Several of the author's books do appear though.

I think 99 has phoned in a good read. :)

FUGITIVE77
02-13-2009, 02:29 AM
I concur, too many misnomers for the cognoscenti, should have waited another year to write the book. Sounded like a shill for the industry.

Tom
02-13-2009, 07:54 AM
The book was already delayed, what, two years? :D